Aaron Sorkin's new HBO series "The Newsroom"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Way to objectify a great actor. Munn is more talented than many of the actors in this show. Her looks are secondary.

2. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

This should be interesting....for both "Sports Night" and "The Newsroom", he wrote the second season finales as if they might be series finales...one was cancelled, the other's coming back. For "Studio 60" I'm almost certain he knew it was cancelled before doing the final episode. For "The West Wing" Sorkin literally left a plotline in the middle of the night, and when it came back without him, people suddenly weren't talking so cleverly.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I'm glad there's going to be a new season...although I thought they suddenly did a very nice wrap-up in the last episode of series 2; I guess the makers didn't expect to make a series 3...knowing Aaron Sorking he may have left us with a cliffhanger instead.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Watch this Amy Shumer satire, The Foodroom, which is bloody hilarious:

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That was great! I think Amy Schumer is very funny. Filthy as hell, but funny. I don't even watch Newsroom anymore (why am I checking this thread? I don't know, but glad I did), but that was awesome

7. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

That was a fine spoof! I've watched the West Wing Series again in the last few months (during indoor rowing) and there are certainly some ''Sorkin-clichés"; fractured and emotionally complicated relationships, verbal wittiness (to the point of being too smart for it to be realistic) and parts where a Wagnerian soundtrack wouldn't be out of place when the Jed Bartlet/Will McAvoy hero shows the unbelieving republicans/network hacks what he's made of. I tried Sportsnight, but halfway the first episode I gave up...too sitcom-like. I think I've overdosed a bit on the Sorkin and I'll be immersed in the cruel and physical world of Game Of Thrones in the next few weeks!

Vidiot likes this.
  8. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I think The Newsroom is flat-out brilliant, I'm really disappointed that we will only get 1 more season.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm with you there. As preachy and hackneyed as the show can be, it's very entertaining. I only wish in my world people were as witty and snappy as they are in Sorkin's world.

10. progrocker71

Take the witty people from Sorkin's world and combine them with the witty people in Joss Whedon's world and it would be perfect.

minerwerks and Vidiot like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's a very funny idea, especially if Sorkin's characters were arrogant, rich, liberal intellectuals and the Joss Whedon characters were snarky, sarcastic, karate-kicking superheros! I'd watch that show.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And as an update: Mr. Sorkin had some very interesting things to say about the upcoming (final) episodes of the series:

“I feel like I’m just now starting to learn how to write it,” he said. “I‘m very proud of The Newsroom. I have the time of my life working with the people that I work with, but there is a learning curve and unfortunately, those lessons are learned in front of several million people. Again, that’s what you sign up for. I wish that I could go back to the beginning of The Newsroom and start again and replicate what you have with a play, which is a preview period where it’s being done in front of an audience, but I’m feeling really good about how the third season is going. I’ll look back on it fondly and proudly and wish I could get every scene of every episode back so that I could do it all over again.”

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/04/22/aaron-sorkin-newsroom-apology/?hpt=hp_t3

13. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Dan Rydell!

14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I wish I had 1/10 of the talent Aaron has... Great writer....

15. "what's next, no chicken beaks in the 'Everything'?" Brilliant stuff.

16. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

The right-wing hate for Sorkin in the comments section of that EW article was amazing. I don't get it, but maybe I'm too much of a Sorkin fanboy to care-and I cannot wait for season 3. Loved the walk-and-talk in the Schumer clip.

Vidiot and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  17. You're right about that and even though I know it's not realistic I love those moments and always wish that happened in real life.

18. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

Is anyone else watching the final season? So far, it looks interesting.

19. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Caught up with episode 2 last night.
    Loving it.
    Can't believe the final series is only 6 episodes.

Assume with all that's going on, everything will get wrapped up and nothing will be left hanging?

Deesky and sberger like this.
  20. progrocker71

I will be very sad to see this show go, it's one of my favorites from the last few years.

rjp likes this.
  21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Boy, they're really letting the 'doo-doo' hit the fan in these last episodes!
    It gonna be quite interesting to see how this all wraps up.

22. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I have enjoyed every season of this great show. I will also be sad when the series ends. As a huge fan of Aaron Sorkin, I am also sad that he is not interested in writing anything else for TV.

sberger likes this.
  23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Let me echo the above comments. This season started with a bang and it's only getting better. Perhaps the shorter season is better at sustaining a more focused story arc. I also think it's too bad that this will be the last season.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree, though the first episode of the season started slow, the second picked up to warp speed and they have a ton of stuff going on. And I burst out laughing when one of the characters referred to how everybody "talks in monologues," which is a constant complaint of Sorkin shows.

Lots of interesting plots: the Boston bombing, Maggie slowly recovering from her nervous breakdown, the espionage/stolen government papers story, and the hostile corporate takeover by Jane Fonda's stepchildren. Really interesting how they're hopscotching around, though I still feel the dialogue is much too preachy, particularly when they stop for a solid minute to do a diatribe against bad Web journalism (not that they aren't right).

vince likes this.
  25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, I loved the meta quotes. Maybe Sorkin is giving the finger to his critics, as there is some talk that this may be his last TV show project, ever, so he's going out with a bang.

I don't mind the odd preachy diatribe if it's well reasoned and delivered. It's also interesting that they pointed out that the news network was a loss leader but deserved to continue because it's a valuable brand. So true in today's news industry which has been gutted to the core.

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.