Abba Greatest hits Japanese - Is it different?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevinsinnott, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist Thread Starter

Well, I was rummaging around a used CD store today and I came upon a 2-cd Japanese set. I'm sorry I did not have a chance to note the exact title, but it seemed like a greatest hits collection.

Is it likely to be different/better quality than the ones I already have, which is virtually every Polar ABBA CD?

Thanks for any guidance. If no one can help with the sketchy information I'm providing, I'll return to the store and attempt to get the title. I was surprised to find it.

2. kevinsinnott

I wanted to bump the thread, but I did find an image of the cover, plus it said it was HDCD mastered. Anyone ever heard of it?

Attached Files:

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

For one thing, that's not Japanese on the cover. So, it is from some other country (China, HK, Taiwan). I would pass.

4. kevinsinnott

Thank you for pointing that out. I'm not sure this matches the cover exactly, but I will check it against the photo before I buy. I wasn't aware of any ABBA HDCD masterings.

5. kevinsinnott

Also, I don't have HDCD on my player. Does this matter?

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Generally, I would say no, if you have a good non-HDCD player. However, some folks recently have said that HDCD decoding really opens up the sound on Audio Fidelity gold discs. This was said recently in regards to the Judas Priest Hell Bent for Leather disc, for example. I can't say I have experienced such dramatic differences.

7. kevinsinnott

Thanks, Keith. I recall a thread about it. My NOS CD player is sure not HDCD, but I've always been curious.

What I wonder is if anyone else has a 2-cd greatest hits package from Japan, and, if Japanese Abba masterings have any reputation around here, good or bad.

8. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

I don't own it, and it's not HDCD, but there's this (really just Abba Gold coupled with More Abba Gold).

9. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Looks like a bootleg to me.

rock76 likes this.
  10. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

First thing that entered my mind as well. If the item resembles that of the one you posted the image of then stay far away.

11. Raxel

Raxel Senior Member

a bootleg, worth less than $2.

12. abbafan09

abbafan09 Forum Resident

13. kevinsinnott

14. filip_kbh

filip_kbh Forum Resident

I have that 2-CD set. I bought it in Hong Kong in 2005 for 20 HKD as far as I remember. It is indeed a bootleg. I have no equipment that can tell me if it is HDCD encoded but I am quite sure it is just a copy of the legit release.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  15. kevinsinnott

Thanks for replies. I was interested, but given the feedback, I'll pass.

16. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

This is a legit one I have from Japan. The sound is top notch, and It didn't break the bank.

abba.jpg

kevinsinnott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.