ABBA - Live 1977 CD in 2017 ???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sathvyre, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac Thread Starter

There are some rumours that ABBA will release a full 1977 live recording in 2017. I hope it will be true, cause it would be the first time that songs like "Get On A Carousel" or "I Am An A" will be released. Anybody out there with information ?

Wingsfan2012, Red, Jarleboy and 4 others like this.
  2. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I dunno but I bloody well hope so!
    The Wembley release went well beyond what I expected, it's one of my favourite live albums now.
    I'd be made up to get a full unedited 'Girl with the Golden Hair' in good quality.
    :righton:

Jarleboy and ralph7109 like this.
  3. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

That would be awesome.

However, the complete and restored Dick Cavett performances need to also be released on DVD.
    These are priceless.

I much prefer the real live performances in an intimate setting such as this. Those are far and few in between since they are either lip synching or in a stadium setting.

deredordica, John Adam and Jarleboy like this.
  4. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

Source??

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. sathvyre

There is no confirmed source for the rumours, but I read something on the WWW and I think the official ABBA fanclub was also talking about an official Live 1977 release, planned for 2017...

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

That would be really great. Looking forward to read more detailed information about it:righton:

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. KMKYA

KMKYA New Member

When they announced the Live at Wembley album, we read that 15 min of the 1977 Tour would be available with the digital version... but of course nothing happens... but you have bootleg of complete concerts.

That would be great but since Bjorn and Benny don't like Live recordings... 35 years to finally released a complete concert album...

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

ABBA/Net worth
    $2,4 billion
    :eek::eek:

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Let´s hope the rumours are true. The clips shown in "ABBA - The Movie" - Boy, they were inventive with names for their projects back then! - sound great, and I would love to have live versions of "Tiger", "He´s Your Brother" and others. I loved the "Live at Wembley" release, and I would love this. Here´s hoping...

John Adam, Pizza, Big Pasi and 2 others like this.
  10. Jarleboy

I hope one of the readers/posters here might answer this question: I found this release of ABBA ARRIVAL DELUXE EDITION on Amazon.co.uk. Does anyone know whether this is a new master or just a reissue of the same master as before? I am 99,9% sure it´s the latter, but if anyone has information to the contrary, I would be ever so pleased.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arrival-Ab...c&ie=UTF8&qid=1470412898&sr=1-7&keywords=ABBA

11. sathvyre

I am sure this is a repress from the old Deluxe Edition...it has the brickwall 2005 mastering (same as on the blue box) and should be avoided. s far as I know, the only Deluxe Editions with a decent masterings are RING RING, WATERLOO, ABBA, VOULEZ-VOUS, SUPER TROUPER and THE VISITORS (the latter was taken from damaged tapes). ARRIVAL and THE ALBUM share the 2005 mastering and are the worst.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Jarleboy

Thank you for your answer, Sathvyre. I have the original blue box and the Deluxe Edition, and I feared it would be the same version here. A friend of mine informed me that both the ARRIVAL and THE ALBUM Deluxe Edition had been Mastered for iTunes, and that these versions were much better. I was hoping there was a "secret" remastering available, but I suppose this forum would be aglow with such news. :wiggle:

13. sathvyre

Unfortunately, the very nice-sounding iTunes remasters are only as lossy downloads available...

coffeetime and Jarleboy like this.
  14. Jarleboy

Too bad. I try to avoid downloads. Hoping for a better mastering later on down the line.

Pizza likes this.
  15. sathvyre

I am sure it is just a question of time until we will get another bunch of new masterings or a new box set etc...
    The latest masterings for the Deluxe Editions sound nice, but you can hear the aging of the tapes (especially on RING RING or GRACIAS POR LA MUSICA). There are some very small tape issues, a little lack of treble and clarity and additional hiss, compared to early CD versions from the 80s...I clearly prefer the original and old CD pressings, but it's not easy to get it collected in best possible sound quality for cheap prices. It took many years to find out the best source CD for each ABBA track, but it is possible to compile almost the entire back catalogue from old CD pressings. There is another thread about the sources here on the forum...
    I hope they will release a rarities box sometimes, including all the rejected and work-in-progress versions they recorded through the years...but at first I am looking forward to the 1977 Live release...it would be the first time we will get the entire mini musical on an official release...I really love the fast version of "I'm A Marionette" for example...

jamiesjamies, anduandi and Jarleboy like this.
  16. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

The Mastered for iTunes versions of all of the studio albums sound superb. Coming from the 2005 blue fuzzy box, the restored dynamics were and remain a revelation. Not trying to sell anyone on lossy downloads (and I DO NOT want to reopen that can of worms), but they are definitely worth investigating cf Led Zeppelin MFiT reissues leading the CD reissues by a good 12/18 months.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. sathvyre

For ARRIVAL I prefer the first Japan CD release on Polydor:

https://www.discogs.com/de/ABBA-Arrival/release/5281758

Sure, you can't go wrong with a regular german Polydor, but as far as I remember, the Japan CD sounds a little better.

For THE ALBUM you have to compile your own CD-R, cause there is no version out there without the annoying distortion on all Side A tracks...the only releases without distortion are the Jon Astley remasters from 1997 / 2001, but they are a bit compressed and have some noise reduction here and there...besides this, the edit on the pasted verse in THE NAME OF THE GAME is really bad...but this is the only lossless version without distortion.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

This! The Polydor Japan cd of Arrival is, as far as I’m concerned, the best cd version of that album… It’s like an improved version of the German one, with none of the tape glitches and the EQ opens up the sound a bit (for all the praise it gets I always found the german polydor cd a bit muffled but nothing you can’t fix with a few EQ moves on the high end.) The fade-outs are slightly longer as well. I wish they just cloned that disc and be done with all these futile attempts at remastering the thing, they never seem to get it right. The Itunes remaster is fine but a bit on the loud side… it still pales compared to the Japanese Polydor. But a definite improvement over the Deluxe Edition.

The itunes version of The Album seems to be an adjusted version of the Deluxe mastering, I can’t really tell them apart. Take A Chance on Me sounds horrendous, the drums have none of the punch they have on other reissues. The only improvement is that they bothered to track down a clean sounding version of The Name of The Game which sounds great, the best sounding digital version of that song (albeit lossy) available today.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Id love to have a complete 1977 concert on CD. What Id really love to have is a 1977 concert on DVD. Perhaps if they discover full songs/shows from what was recorded of the Australian tour they could put together a concert or at least a partial one and package that with the CD complete concert. The first concert I ever saw was ABBA here in Perth in March of 1977. I would absolutely love to have a full concert DVD/CD of a show or compilation of songs from different venues into a complete concert from that tour. It would be absolutely awesome.

Zephead2112 likes this.
  20. Jarleboy

I couldn´t agree more. They seemed to love being on stage at that... stage. (Well put, Jarle.)

Anyway, Bjørn and Benny commented on this on the bonus disc to the "ABBA - THE MOVIE" Blu-ray/DVD release a few years back. What we see of the concerts in the film is tantalising, but Bjørn and Benny said all the extras and recorded feet of films were destroyed after the film was cut together. How I wish they were wrong... :shake:

21. filip_kbh

filip_kbh Forum Resident

I wish they would release the Dick Cavett tracks as one complete "An Evening With ABBA" until we get a 1977 concert - if we ever do. Maybe Björn and Benny are more comfortable with it now that they have seen the interest in the Live at Wembley 2CD. Anyway the Dick Cavett tracks should be easy to release on a single CD and perhaps with a bonus disc on DVD. And perhaps with a bonus track we have never heard before - which might exists if you look at a picture of the hand-written set list.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Im still hopeful that at some point they will discover that this wasnt so, or that at least enough releasable stuff would have survived somewhere. Its a great shame if its lost forever. Still, even if they cant put a DVD together they should definitely be able to put out a full concert CD.

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. cmi

cmi Forum Resident

Where it is possible to see the hand-written set list? Is it available online?

24. filip_kbh

filip_kbh Forum Resident

Yes it is.

[​IMG]

aarsonbet and cmi like this.
  25. filip_kbh

filip_kbh Forum Resident

And actually Benny was playing Lotties Schotties though it was not included in the show. This song would remain unreleased until Benny released his 1987 Klinga Mina Klockor album. Later - on the 1994 Thank You For The Music 4CD box set - we got to hear the ABBA version of it.

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.