Abba: Pickwick Hits Boxset 1991

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Hello All, I have the chance to pick up this boxset from 1991, I don't know anything about it apart from at the time it was a budget release, has anyone got any idea on the mastering and sound quality of the discs etc, I don't care for the crap artwork,
    Thanks

The Hits (Disc One)
    1. Waterloo
    2. S.O.S.
    3. Dancing Queen
    4. Knowing Me Knowing You
    5. Lay All Your Love On Me
    6. Super Trouper
    7. Take A Chance On Me
    8. I Do I Do I Do I Do
    9. Honey Honey
    10. Hasta Manana
    11. The Visitors
    12. Mamma Mia

The Hits Vol.2 (Disc Two)
    1. Name Of The Game
    2. Arrival
    3. Ring, Ring
    4. Eagle
    5. Summer Night City
    6. Happy New Year
    7. Angel Eyes
    8. Money, Money, Money
    9. Andante Andante
    10. Voulez Vous
    11. Kisses Of Fire
    12. The Day Before You Came
    13. When I Kissed The Teacher
    14. Fernando

The Hits 3 (Disc 3)
    1. The Winner Takes It All
    2. The King Has Lost His Crown
    3. Dance (While The Music Still Goes On)
    4. Gimme Gimme Gimme
    5. Head Over Heels
    6. Rock Me
    7. I Have A Dream
    8. Chiquitita
    9. The Piper
    10. On And On And On
    11. One Of Us
    12. Our Last Summer
    13. Does Your Mother Know
    14. Thank You For The Music

Attached Files:

2. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

All tracks are digitally remastered allegedly. I have never heard any of the three but I have heard Pickwick's Love Songs compilation, which was the final one in that series.

They used whatever tapes that came to hand. On Love Songs, this means that you have the best unremastered version of the B-side mix of Lovelight side by side with a dreadful transfer of Under Attack.

3. Maidenpriest

:wave: So it could be a bit hit and miss depending on what track, at least it won't be loud and compressed and it has only cost me $8:righton:

What about that Reader's Digest 4 cd set - The Ultimate Collection?

4. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Yep. It's an excellent buy at that price. The Reader's Digest set has been reissued multiple times - what version are you looking at? I've heard tracks from the 1993 version and they seem decent enough.

5. Maidenpriest

6. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

I have the first disc from this set and the sound quality is actually quite good in my opinion.

7. Maidenpriest

Which set, my friend?

8. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

The one from the set you originally asked about. Here are the specifics of my disc:

ABBA
    The Hits
    Innovative Music Productions / Pickwick Int.
    PWKS 593
    Disc Manufactured in France

Cover is identical to the one you posted.

9. I'd buy this set in a heartbeat.

10. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

(deleted - double post)

11. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

I can't comment on sound quality comparisons, but I have a soft spot for this set because for the longest time, it was the only ABBA I had. This, along with the Gracias Por La Musica Japanese greatest hits compilation CD in Spanish, is what I listen to the most from ABBA.

I didn't know until today that this was a box set. I got the discs all separately.

12. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

13. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Anyone know what length is The Name of The Game is on the Hits Vol 2? If its the full version, does it have any of the distortion that most other masterings have?

14. Maidenpriest

:wave: Great Cheers!

15. Maidenpriest

:wave: I will let you know when it arrives:righton:

16. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Gracias Por La Musica actually was a proper Abba album, not a compilation. It's just rarely seen these days as Polydor rebranded it as Abba Oro to cash in on the success of Abba Gold and have never seen fit to restore it to the catalog in its original format.

17. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

It's the edit that also appeared on the first Abba Gold cd. I don't remember if there was distortion.
    I had these cds but gave them away a couple of months ago. They aren't mastered hot at all but they are a mixed bag sonically. Some of the songs sound quite decent while others sound very tinny. Does Your Mother Know was very disappointing when compared to the Polydor Voulez-Vous cd and GH vol.2.

18. Maidenpriest

Any other edits or Bad Masters you know off, what about Eagle is that the full or edit version?

19. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Eagle is the full version, iirc.
    Lay All Your Love On Me is faded very early (around the 4:15 - 4:20 mark) which was probably done to avoid the applause on the Super Trouper album master.

20. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

The short version has no distortion and the worst section is edited out anyway.

21. dunhillrecords

dunhillrecords Member

I know this is an old thread, but I just ran across it while researching the Pickwick hits box, so I thought I'd throw out my two-cents worth.

I have enjoyed this set since it first came out. IIRC, there were scant ABBA compilations on cd in those days and I believe this was one of the first. I can attest to the fact that this set is mastered fairly well and not loud and compressed as seems to be the industry standard these days. Anyway, I would recommend it.

22. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

i agree charles,thanks for commenting on it :)

23. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I also owned this set back in the day, and at that time it was the best ABBA compilation on the market.

24. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Just received this set. Ok, I am very surprised how great this sounds!

No compression and NR. It's the closest to ABBA on vinyl I have heard yet aside from the Atlantic GH discs!

Name of the Game sounds great, no distortion that I can detect.

Stay tuned, I may have an extra one of these to sell in the classifieds very soon.

25. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

There's no distortion because it contains the short edit of the song, which omits all the distorted sections.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.