Abba - The Essential Collection - Due 6/12/2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Batears52, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member Thread Starter

Any Abba fans know anything about this?

Abba - The Essential Collection

Same ol', same ol' - or possibly something using the more recent remasterings???

Dexter

2. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

All the hits and more featured on 2 CDs and 1 DVD.

May 21, 2012 is the release date for The Essential Collection, a brand new collection of ABBA
    hits and other classic tracks. The release will come in three different configurations: a double-CD,
    a DVD, and a Limited Edition package featuring the two CDs, the DVD and an illustrated 28-page
    booklet. The DVD features all official ABBA promo clips in remastered form, including two previously
    unreleased videos: ‘Conociéndome, Conociéndote’ and ‘Gracias por la música’ (Spanish versions
    of ‘Knowing Me, Knowing You’ and ‘Thank You For The Music’, respectively).

Track listings:

CD 01:

1. People Need Love
    2. He Is Your Brother
    3. Ring Ring
    4. Love Isn’t Easy (But It Sure Is Hard Enough)
    5. Waterloo
    6. Honey, Honey
    7. So Long
    8. I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do
    9. SOS
    10. Mamma Mia
    11.Bang-A-Boomerang
    12. Fernando
    13. Dancing Queen
    14. Money, Money, Money
    15. Knowing Me, Knowing You
    16. That’s Me
    17. The Name Of The Game
    18. Take A Chance On Me
    19. Eagle
    20. One Man, One Woman
    21. Thank You For The Music
    22. Summer Night City

CD 02:

1. Chiquitita
    2. Does Your Mother Know
    3. Voulez-Vous
    4. Angeleyes
    5. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)
    6. I Have A Dream
    7. The Winner Takes It All
    8. Super Trouper
    9. On And On And On
    10. Lay All Your Love On Me
    11. Happy New Year
    12. One Of Us
    13. When All Is Said And Done
    14. Head Over Heels
    15. The Visitors
    16. The Day Before You Came
    17. Under Attack

The mastering is apparently a mix of:
    ABBA Gold tracks (2010 masters)
    More ABBA Gold (2008 masters)
    Deluxe masters from Voulez-Vous onwards
    CSR masters for anything not covered by above (eg. Bang-a-Boomerang, One Man One Woman)

DVD:

1. Waterloo
    2. Ring Ring
    3. Mamma Mia
    4. SOS
    5. Bang-A-Boomerang
    6. I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do
    7. Fernando
    8. Dancing Queen
    9. Money, Money, Money
    10. Knowing Me, Knowing You
    11. That’s Me
    12. The Name Of The Game
    13. Take A Chance On Me
    14. Eagle
    15. One Man, One Woman
    16. Thank You For The Music
    17. Summer Night City
    18. Chiquitita
    19. Does Your Mother Know
    20. Voulez-Vous
    21. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)
    22. On And On And On
    23. The Winner Takes It All
    24. Super Trouper
    25. Happy New Year
    26. When All Is Said And Done
    27. One Of Us
    28. Head Over Heels
    29. The Day Before You Came
    30. Under Attack
    31. Estoy Soñando
    32. Conociéndome, conociéndote
    33. Gracias por la música
    34. Felicidad

The two previously unreleased videos are in fact tv performances from the Applauso 1980 show.

The press release states:
    "The clips are newly remastered in the 16:9 format, as opposed to the normal 4:3 format. However, this does not mean that the aspect ratio of the picture has been compromised – on the contrary you get more picture for your money, since the 4:3 frame shaves off some of the original 16mm picture. On the DVD, the picture takes up more space on the screen, with “black bars” on either side of the picture.”"
    Abba done this with the special edition of 'Gold' CD/DVD and while the promos did indeed look lovely and cleaned up there still is slight cropping despite what they say in the press release. I wish they'd jut release stuff in their original aspect.

3. stecov

stecov Forum Resident

This is very similar to the 2CD set The Definitive Collection released in 2008. Only a handful of tracks changed, and the ones common to both even have the same running order excepting that Thank You For The Music is in its rightful chronological place as opposed to when it was a UK hit.

4. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident

Interesting. Thanks for posting it.

5. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Bang A Boomerang = guilty pleasure

Now, if it just had Nina Pretty Ballerina it would be perfect.

I suspect no one likes that song buy me... :cry:

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks for the info. It's refreshing that you can get all the music without having to buy the deluxe version.

I'm curious about the mastering because it seems the mastering of many ABBA compilations over the years has been lacking. I still like the old Atlantic CDs.

7. stecov

stecov Forum Resident

Not quite, I've loved that song as well ever since getting the original Abba Greatest Hits vinyl in 1976!!

8. stecov

stecov Forum Resident

I agree, the earlier Abba tracks have never sounded better on CD than that US Atlantic CD.

9. 905

905 Senior Member

If it doesn't have Mew's "magic" then I'll get it. The Definitive Collection is great for content but horrible for sound.

10. KeithH

That's one I've avoided since I've read nothing but disdain for it. I have old Gold CD (single-disc compilation), and it's decent but not as good as the Atlantic CDs.

11. stecov

stecov Forum Resident

Amazon.co.uk now has all configurations of this release put back to early September.

12. footstomper

Oops, I forgot that. It does seem to have been put back to a September release. Oh well, we can make the most of 'The Visitors' for the next few months still.

13. KeithH

Amazon.com shows a two-disc import and a two-disc U.S. issue and still shows the wrong release dates (May 29th for the import, June 12th for the U.S. issue). They have posted track lists, so I'm wondering if there are any differences. Here are links:

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Col..._0_main?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1336947153&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Col...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1336947153&sr=1-2

14. Batears52

It was Astley - not Peter Mew.

15. Batears52

I'm not a huge Abba fan - basically I'm only interested in their hits singles & key tracks. I have yet to hear a compilation that really sounds "good" - but you all have heard more than me.

I have both Atlantic GH CDs & they are probably the best - but I'm not sure I would call them "great".

I also have the original version of Gold (1992?) & More Gold (1993?) and they aren't bad - mastered by Tretow. Yes, he was their engineer, but was he the best person to make mastering decisions?

I also have the aforementioned Definitive Collection - fantastic track listing - terrible sound quality - loud, bright & on many tracks, the left & right channels are reversed (unless the Atlantics were!)

I'm tempted to look for a CD of The First 10 Years - I like the sound of my vinyl - I wonder if the CD was any good?

I'd be tempted to get the Thank You For The Music box - IF the sound quality was considered the best - and I don't think anyone has said that.

I've lost track of who did the 2010 Abba Gold mastering & if it's any good - same for the 2008 More Gold.

Seems a shame that the sound quality for this group is so lacking & inconsistent.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'd have to see it, but traditionally, any 16mm shot in the 1970s and early 1980s was 1.33 or 1.37, not widescreen. If it's in 16x9, then you might see a little more left and right, but potentially cut off top and bottom (usually more cut off on the bottom).

17. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

^^^ I bet this is a continuation of 2010-2011 ABBA video remastering trend (which I can't describe other than stupid) when 4:3 OAR materials were mastered for DVD in anamorphic 4:3 format with pillar black bars (effectively reducing the horizontal picture resolution by 25%) :(

18. footstomper

It is, really annoying too.
    It's strange though the Abba press releases state nothing has been chopped and we actually see more of the picture than ever before. But when I compared 'Knowing Me Knowing You' that statement seemed to be true to my amazement. But when I checked the 'Mamma Mia' video it certainly was slightly trimmed.

The one refreshing thing was how they reveresed back to 4.3 full frame for the videos on 'The Visitors' deluxe edition. Shame they have gone back to this way...

19. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I like both the songs you mention and like the previous poster remember NPB from the 70's best of...hard to forget this cover:love:

[​IMG]

Anyway I already have ABBA Gold and will eventually pick up More ABBA Gold for the rest - like one of my favourites "Honey Honey"

ABBA are a very underrated band.

20. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Your suspicion would be baseless! It's no "When I Kissed The Teacher" but it's certainly a nice song.

21. KeithH

Sorry, I meant to say that amazon.com has NOT posted track lists.

22. houston

houston Forum Resident

so your sweet on those 2 guys, eh? ;)

23. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I bought that record just for the cover as well. Actually, it sounds decent too.

24. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

I could understand if 4:3 OAR source was presented with black pillar bars on the sides in non-anamorphic 16:9 format (like high-def Blu-ray video, f.e.). However, for DVD users with 4:3 TVs the newly encoded anamorphic 4:3 mastering of 4:3 OAR source will be utilizing only the center portion of the screen as a result (with black bars on all 4 sides). How dumb is that???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.