ABBA - The Singles The First 10 Years Poll. Pick Your Favourites

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

They had a couple of hits that actually almost compare with some of ABBA´s hits. Almost. Sometimes they got too obvious - I mean, "ANGELO" uses the ABBA formula that never existed. I think I listen to perhaps three of their songs with pleasure. The number for ABBA songs I enjoy would be slightly higher.

But it´s fun to remember these also-rans.

bob60 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. Jarleboy

I´m right here. I´ll add my two cent´s worth in a while. (And yes, too bad "I´M AMARIONETTE" wasn´t included.)

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

But did ABBA ever approach the genius of BOM’s My Sweet Rosalie? I think not.

:D

4. Jarleboy

No, I guess they never reached those giddy hights...........

Marble Index and Bobby Morrow like this.
  5. filip_kbh

filip_kbh Forum Resident

Frida is wearing a glove between her breasts on the cover photo - it's not a Christmas tree :)

Mbe and Marble Index like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

I’m honestly surprised 25 people (so far) voted that they didn’t like the album sleeve... I kind of thought everyone would like it.:D

Jarleboy, Marble Index and John Adam like this.
  7. Jarleboy

Choosing favourites from any ABBA compilation is like choosing your favourite child, and that is impossible. Simply impossible.

But here are my all-time favourite ABBA tracks - at least when only singles are concerned.

* "S.O.S." - the most perfectly structured of all ABBA songs, IMO. It raised their game into another league. The synth fill before the chorus still gives me chills. (And yes, they are multiplying.)

* "KNOWING ME, KNOWING YOU" - the first grown-up ABBA song. Vocals and arrangements are perfect, and they create a mood that brings out the lyrics in an impressive way.

* "THE NAME OF THE GAME" - interesting arrangement, good lyrics, so many parts make up a sublime whole.

* "SUMMER NIGHT CITY" - exciting new direction. There´s so much energy in this song. I agree that they didn´t quite nail the mix of this. I think the live version has the atmosphere that is a bit lacking in the studio take. (And for me, keep the intro. It´s what makes the song for me.)

* "VOULEZ-VOUS" - their perfect disco masterpiece. I used to think it was just good - I now think it´s one of their best.

* "GIMME! GIMME! GIMME! (A MAN AFTER MIDNIGHT)" - for many reasons, personal and otherwise, this is a favourite. Benny dislikes it, but I love moody disco.

* "THE WINNER TAKES IT ALL" - one of those perfect songs.

* "THE DAY BEFORE YOU CAME" - my other all-time favourite, alongside "S.O.S.". I love the apparent simplicity,but there are so many small details that build up to a mini-novel of a song. Many fans don´t like this song very much, but I never tire of it.

I could have chosen many other tracks, but these were my favourites today - and most days.

8. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Great taste of ABBA's finest :)

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

Agree with much of this. To think, when I first heard The Day Before You Came I thought ABBA had lost the plot. Now it’s one of my favourites by them.

The Name Of The Game I love so much I created a thread about it.:)

Just realised I bought Greatest Hits Vol 2 for the ‘new’ song, Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! ABBA were good at ripping us off.:D

Marble Index, Jarleboy and John Adam like this.
  10. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

One my favourite latter day ABBA singles, which was excluded from this compilation, is Head Over Heels. My favourite thing about it is just the melody, I think it's great.

The video maybe isn't so great though.

Marble Index and Jarleboy like this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I like the artwork but the photo would've fit better on a proper studio album after The Visitors, like the long rumoured Opus 13 or what it was called.

My favorites:
    - SOS
    - Mamma Mia
    - Dancing Queen
    - Knowing Me, Knowing You
    - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!
    - Voulez-Vous
    - Under Attack

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  12. Bobby Morrow

It’s one of those quirky numbers ABBA did so well. Made it sound effortless. Quite a low (for them) chart peak in the UK... I wonder if this is why they didn’t bother releasing When All Is Said And Done here?

Jarleboy, Marble Index and Haristar like this.
  13. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I looked on Wikipedia and it says that "When All Is Said and Done" was only released in the US because they didn't want to lead with "One of Us". Maybe that's why it wasn't released in the UK?

But I think it's a good song. I'm a big fan of that last album as well as "The Day Before You Came" and "Under Attack".

14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I remember listening to Round Table on Radio 1 were they reviewed the weeks new singles. The guests were Elvis Costello and Pauline Black from Selecter and they both raved about The Day Before You Came...

15. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

Was 'The Visitors (Crackin' Up)' released as a single in some territories , or have I lost my marbles? :cool:

Jarleboy and John Adam like this.
  16. SWLABR

SWLABR Forum Resident

ABBA has just always been there. My Mum loved them, and I'm sure we had some 45's kicking around, but an odd ABBA memory for me is playing hockey... well, I guess it would be "mini-stick" hockey these days at my buddy's house. They had a giant stereo cabinet down in the basement, but the only music they had were ABBA 8-Tracks.
    I bought my parents ABBA Gold on CD when it came out, and I have a few LP's I've since acquired over the years. I used to refer to them as my "guilty pleasure", but I don't feel that guilty.

Jarleboy, John Adam and Bobby Morrow like this.
  17. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

The Visitors/Head Over Heals in the US for sure. Follow up to When All Is Said and Done, their last "hit" here.

Jarleboy and Marble Index like this.
  18. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Also my favorite Abba compilation album on vinyl for sound quality.

19. Marble Index

That's quite a combo! It should have been a global release imo. Thanks! :righton:

Jarleboy and John Adam like this.
  20. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

And did you find your marbles? :D

21. Bobby Morrow

I Have A Dream is the lowest polled song here still... More people didn’t like the album artwork than they liked I Have A Dream.:D

Marble Index likes this.
  22. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I am a big ABBA fan, but I don't really like songs like "I Have A Dream" or "Chiquitita" as much...it's Schlager music and not my cup of tea...

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. Marble Index

No, I'm just as crazy.
    [​IMG]

John Adam, Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  24. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Great singles band. There were only five I didn’t vote for; Waterloo, So Long, Voulez-Vous, Gimme Gimme Gimme, and Under Attack, although I wouldn’t say I disliked them, they are just a level below the rest.

Bobby Morrow and Jarleboy like this.
  25. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

Take a Chance on Me
    Dancing Queen
    Winner Takes it All
    Super Trouper
    Does Your Mother Know
    Knowing Me, Knowing You

I like a lot of the tracks, but those 6 are probably my favorites among them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.