ABBA Voulez-Vous on CD, original or 2010 remaster?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rock76, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I already own the 2005 remaster done by Jon Astley (which I don't like that much) and I want to replace it with a new copy of either the original or the latest 2010 remaster.

To your ears which one's the best choice?
    (I know the current includes a DVD, but I'm mainly interested on the cd and its sound)

2. rock76

bump

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Original would more likely be better than a remaster.

4. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

Here's the thread devoted to the 2010 deluxe edition, which has been very well received. I prefer it to the old 1984 disc. It brings out details in the overall soundscape that I never noticed before.

You don't have to go through the entire thread, just check the last few pages.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=209073&highlight=abba

Richard.

5. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

cool , thanks for the link , I forgot this even came out , glad to hear how good it is .:righton:

6. rock76

Thanks Richard. In fact, I was reading the whole thread about the VV D.E. before posting.
    And it came to my attention that someone contacted Henrik Jonsson to ask him a few questions about the latest edition and noticed that that person pointed out that "Does Your Mother Know" misses a fraction of a second of the intro. Is it very noticeable?

7. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

No.

8. rock76

That's great to hear!

9. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I would try to get both. Although I really like the 2010 version I think it sounds a bit bass-heavy on my system especially when cranked up. I'll keep the original Polydor for times when I'm in the mood for "non-bassy" listening.

10. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident

It looks like the "Beatles Remasters Effects" as reached even one of the most poorly treated catalogues in pop music!

11. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

Let's hope this is true!

As others have said, the 1984 Polydor CD has its own virtues when compared to the 2010 Universal/Polar Remaster. Principally, the 1984 version is less "loud" than the 2010, although not by as much of a margin as you might think.

Has it been decided upon, or even discussed, if the 2010 CD is the best source for the non-album tracks from Voulez-Vous? I'm speaking of "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" and "Summernight City" principally, as I believe it was said that "Lovelight" sounds better than any previous CD release.

12. rock76

Thanks guys for the advice. I decided to buy the original.

13. mallery7

mallery7 Forum Resident

Lately I've learned the original is best in most cases. Original of this title sounds good to me. If the 2010 is anywhere like the Albums box set version, stay away.

14. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident

It's not. Read the thread Luxury_Liner linked to.

15. mallery7

mallery7 Forum Resident

Interesting, thanks

16. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! and Summer Night City still sound best on the original Greatest Hits Vol 2. The other non-album tracks sound best on VV Deluxe.

17. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

That's a shame. The Deluxe Edition has a much better soundscape.

18. mozpiano2

mozpiano2 Forum Resident

Does Lovelight on the 2010 Deluxe CD version beat "The Love Songs" CD version from 1989 do you think?

Rudolf

19. rock76

Hey! I like the videos you've posted on You Tube. It's good to have well made reviews on the different ABBA albums.

20. mozpiano2

mozpiano2 Forum Resident

Thanks for that, glad that people enjoy them :) I will hopefully make revised videos soon, after my High School exams that are in progress right now.

21. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

Thanks for that Kenny! I'd put on the original Atlantic Target of GH2 a few weeks ago, and it still knocks my socks off. I'd figured that this was the result, but it's good to have confirmation.

Slightly off-topic, but has there been any rumbling at all regarding the promised "Super Trouper" Deluxe edition? It was initially supposed to be coming out around this time of year, yes? Perhaps it has been delayed by the impending release of the vinyl albums box set.

22. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

It's been a long time since I last listened to the Love Songs version so I'll have to get back to you on that one. :D

23. mozpiano2

mozpiano2 Forum Resident

Ha! My copy is tucked away in the CD draw along with my other 1980's ABBA CDs. I haven't listened to it in yonks.

24. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

I'm back with the answer:

Lovelight on Voulez-Vous Deluxe is better by a whisker. It just seems to have some added definition that Love Songs, which was a pretty decent transfer, is missing. It is a bit louder but not offensively so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.