ABBA: Waterloo 40th Anniversary Deluxe to be released 7th April 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by filip_kbh, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. filip_kbh

filip_kbh Forum Resident Thread Starter

http://www.abbasite.com/banners2/waterloo-deluxe-edition/

Waterloo Deluxe Edition Celebrates The 40th Anniversary Of ABBA’s Eurovision Victory!

The ABBA Deluxe Edition series, which began in 2006 with the release of the Arrival album, now reaches its eighth album. And what would be more natural in this 40th Anniversary year, celebrating ABBA’s victory in Eurovision Song Contest with ‘Waterloo’, than to release a Deluxe Edition of the album of the same name. On this Waterloo Deluxe Edition the original album has been expanded with 8 bonus tracks, plus a DVD of rare and previously unreleased television material. Waterloo Deluxe Edition will be released April 7, 2014.

The first disc in the 2-disc package is a CD, which features the original album plus 8 bonus tracks. The bonus selections feature all the various versions of ‘Waterloo’ – the Swedish, French and German versions, as well as an alternate mix of the English version – plus the Swedish version of ‘Honey, Honey’; the remix of ‘Ring Ring’ that was first released on the American version of the Waterloo album; the single remix of ‘Ring Ring’ released as the follow-up to ‘Waterloo’ in the UK; and the Spanish version of ‘Hasta Mañana’.

The DVD features no less than 13 TV selections, most of which are previously unreleased. Naturally, ABBA’s performances of ‘Waterloo’ in the Eurovision Song Contest and the Swedish selection, Melodifestivalen are featured on the DVD. In both instances, the first performance as well as the winner performance has been included. There is also the rare performance of ‘Waterloo’ intended for Eurovision preview programmes; the equally rare performance of the German-language version of ‘Waterloo’; ABBA’s three appearances on Top Of The Pops, performing ‘Waterloo’; an interview with Frida and ABBA manager Stig Anderson on Eurovision night; plus three performances of ‘Honey, Honey’ from German and Austrian television.

The package also includes a 20-page illustrated booklet featuring an extensive essay on the making of the album, with brand new insights from Björn and Benny.

Be a part of the celebrations of one of the most famous moments in ABBA history!

WATERLOO – DELUXE EDITION

Disc 01, CD:

01. Waterloo
    02. Sitting In The Palmtree
    03. King Kong Song
    04. Hasta Mañana
    05. My Mama Said
    06. Dance (While The Music Still Goes On)
    07. Honey, Honey
    08. Watch Out
    09. What About Livingstone
    10. Gonna Sing You My Lovesong
    11. Suzy-Hang-Around

Bonus tracks:

12. Ring Ring (US Remix 1974)
    13. Waterloo (Swedish Version)
    14. Honey, Honey (Swedish Version)
    15. Waterloo (German Version)
    16. Hasta Mañana (Spanish Version)
    17. Waterloo (French Version)
    18. Ring Ring (1974 Remix, Single Version)
    19. Waterloo (Alternate mix)

Disc 02, DVD:

01. Waterloo (Eurovision Song Contest performance I, BBC)
    02. Waterloo (Melodifestivalen performance I, SVT)
    03. Waterloo (Melodifestivalen performance II, SVT)
    04. Waterloo (Eurovision Song Contest preview performance, SVT)
    05. Waterloo (Eurovision Song Contest, performance II, BBC)
    06. Interview with Frida and Stig after the Eurovision victory (Rapport, SVT)
    07. Waterloo (Top Of The Pops performance I, BBC)
    08. Honey, Honey (Disco, ZDF)
    09. Waterloo (Top Of The Pops performance II, BBC)
    10. Honey, Honey (Spotlight, ORF)
    11. Waterloo (German version) (Musik aus Studio B, NDR)
    12. Honey, Honey (Ein Kessel Buntes, Fernsehen der DDR)
    13. Waterloo (Top Of The Pops performance III, BBC)
    14. International Sleeve Gallery

2. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Super news. I cant wait to pick this up, thanks

3. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Nice. I've enjoyed these releases and not least because of the DVDs which have been well put together and quite exhaustive.
    So is that the lot now for these deluxe editions?

4. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Worth it for the DVD alone! Certainly I'll be getting this one...

5. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

OP, many thanks for the heads up! Looking forward to this release... ;)

6. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Excellent!

7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

8. filip_kbh

BTW I never really like the tampering with the covers, i.e. changing the logos, fonts and positions. It is however good that the colour grading on this picture was corrected since it was way too yellow.

tages likes this.
  9. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

So I don't see anything new on the bonus audio disc, it looks like most were taken from the same album in The Complete Studio Recordings w/ Waterloo (Alternate mix) from the rarities disc. So why no new recordings?

10. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

I'm not sure what else they could've used as bonus tracks other than the odd live recording or something along those lines. (I'm not sure if shows from the 1974-75 Scandinavian tour were ever recorded) Because they had to finish the album in time for the contest thing it's been said there weren't many leftovers from the Waterloo sessions. In fact it was mostly with the ABBA album when they began to discard tracks and throw away things they didn't think would make the cut. Heck, they didn't even have an out-take to go on a single B-side with this album.

11. filip_kbh

The 1974-75 tour was not recorded - at least not on professional equipment.

12. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Unless the mastering is good I doubt that the CD will make it to my player more than once. It is the Eurovision clip of Waterloo on the DVD for which I'm getting it.

13. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

How the times are changing....this album was not a real success when it was first released, it only charted in few countries. Listening to it now it shows a band in search of finding it's style. Somehow lost between "Schlager" and strange excursions into hard rock - not very convincing. In 1996 this album was even released on a low budget label.....And now it gets the Deluxe Treatment just because of the title song.....It's basically the same as the still available 30th Anniversary edition and I wonder who really needs 9 mostly mimed tv performances of Waterloo, five ot them in a row ? No new production in form of recent interviews or a documentary. Probably nice for those who never bought that album, but all in all a lost opportunity.

14. Luxury_Liner

The 30th Anniverary edition is long OOP. Has been for a while, it was only released in Sweden whereas the UK got a Sound & Vision configuration in what looked like an amaray case cut in half... If you look for it on Amazon it's only available used for the "princely" sum of £95...

15. filip_kbh

Hmm, I think only the German version is mimed as such. In the UK you had to use British musicians, so at least the mixes are unique.

16. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I have the 300th anniversary edition. It's interesting to hear a different mix, no doubt. But none of them is as good as the original. Also apart from some live vocals all performances are mimed, even the Eurovision Songcontest included no live playing from Bjorn and Benny. I don't know whether they used the same backing for all those TOTP performances and what the actual difference is. But all the performances on that DVD for German TV were fully mimed. Sure it's fine for the die hard collector, who wants to have everything. But it's not a DVD you will watch more than once.

17. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

wow! You're way ahead our time :) How's the mastering? :)

coffeetime and Barry Vaughan like this.
  18. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

lol...oh it's amazing, they turned the tape hiss into three-dimensional light and the bass is phenomenal...:righton:

delmonaco likes this.
  19. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Fantastic! Hope to be able to hear this! Starting to take my vitamins more regulary as of Monday! :)

20. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

I agree with you.

21. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Agree completely. Even though the originals are available in their photo montages it still doesn't sit right.

On another note it really bugs me that the Super Trouper Deluxe Edition doesn't have a plastic sleeve. It looks funny up there on the shelf with the sticker from the shrink wrap reapplied in its original position across the top. The other ones have no sticker and the Deluxe Edition banners are across the bottom. What was Universal thinking during that/those year(s)?

22. Luxury_Liner

When they did the 2001 remasters and they reconfigured the artwork for all the albums they used alternate shots for both Waterloo and The Visitors. The Visitors is quite obvious if you compare it to the original picture but Waterloo is less so (just look at Frida and you'll notice) Apparently the original negatives couldn't be located or something along those lines.

23. filip_kbh

Hmm - I don't see the difference:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nobby and Big Pasi like this.
  24. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

well here is another Abba release for my collection!

25. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Can't wait to pick this up! I assume the DVD will be NTSC this time...not PAL?

Yes, it will also be interesting if the CD will sound nicely restored/remastered, as most other Deluve CDs certainly do not...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.