abba waterloo abba waterloo karussell cd 1993 ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fitzysbuna, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member Thread Starter

what on earth is this cd? I have seen karussell cds here in Australia for many years and i assume they were a buget label it was made in 1993 and does sound different to the remasters. is there anyway to tell if i have a decent version or not? i did to a eac rip and the peaks were in the 80s range!

2. fitzysbuna

ok i have listened to it ! very flat sounding like without eq and not loud ! I did not realise how varied this album was ! pretty impressive!
    "watch out" sounds like T.rex or ELO!

3. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

It's a budget reissue of Abba's second album on Karussell, which was part of PolyGram. The mastering is probably identical to the 1990 Polydor reissue of the album.

It was the only mastering of the 'International' version (which lacks the Swedish version of Waterloo) of the album available until 1997.

4. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

Sounds like a Lenny Kravitz riff! I love the pompous ending too. I used the later Astley remaster of the track as an audition piece in a listening room a few years back.

5. fitzysbuna

ah good that answers my question then thanks !

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I have this CD - it sound very dull, which probably means it is a Forum Favorite™ (heh). My Atlantic vinyl sounds much better. The Astley CD sounds better to me for that matter.

Good album though - I love the last two songs "Gonna Sing You My Love Song" and "Suzy Hang-Around"

7. camrock

camrock Active Member

I, too, heh.

8. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Nope - I, for one, have always disliked that mastering! The best unremastered edition is probably the 1988 CD release of the domestic [with the Swedish version of Waterloo] version in Sweden but even that has its issues.

That said the remaster, which is part of the current Albums boxset [and the 2005 CSR boxset], is excellent if loud.

9. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I can confirm that it is identical to the Polydor 843 643-2 CD. It sounds really mediocre, but I haven't found a better source for this album on CD so far.

10. newstarter11

newstarter11 Forum Resident

honey honey and suzy-hang-around sound marvellous in their full dynamic range on this 1992 edition though. the other songs- not so great.

11. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I found this disc second hand this week. The inner ring of my copy states "MADE IN GERMANY BY PMDC" and the matrix number is 843 643-2. It has Spectrum Music as label on the front and on the disc itself, and Karussell and Polydor as labels on the tray inlay artwork. Catalog number is 550 0342, barcode 7 31455 00343 0.

Do Waterloo, Hasta Mañana, Dance (While The Music Still Goes On) and Honey Honey sound the same on the (Atlantic) Greatest Hits CD?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  12. Yost

The Karussell / Spectrum Music disc has a little more bass than the remaster and a little less treble. Which I think is nice. It has a bit more hiss and sound stage is not as wide as on the remaster. And of course it's mastered to a lower volume and not as compressed. But also, the left and right channels are reversed...

13. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I didn't know until I went to Discogs Universal in Germany and Holland has kept the Karussel label going continually since 1954,right up to the present.But ever since 2000,it seems Karussel has been used just for kiddie CDs,and everything else is being reissued on Spectrum.
    http://www.discogs.com/label/19763-Karussell?sort=year&sort_order=desc
    http://www.discogs.com/label/93706-Spectrum
    Karussell
    Profile:

Karussell Musik & Video GmbH
    Former PolyGram sublabel, now a sublabel of Universal Music.
    From what is understood, releases in other countries are exports of the German issues. In Australasia, this label was used for the issue of CD's issued in the U.K. under the
    Spectrum label.

14. Yost

Sorry, I made an error in the barcode. The correct barcode is 7 31455 00342 0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.