Abbey Road defiled !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by michael w, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yeah! And then you have to wash your clothes so they don't stink up the rest of the place.

Many smokers don't realize just how bad it is, especially the ones who inhale deeply.

2. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

Funny thing is, the people that I know who have quit are some of the ones most annoyed by it now. They'll say, "I never noticed the smell when I was smoking, but it sure is nasty now that I don't!"

I guess while you're smoking you're constantly surrounded by it (sort of like Pigpen :)) so you don't really notice it.

Ryan

3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I take Apple doesn't own the rights to the image - otherwise why don't they put out a "Cease and Desist" on this? God knows they love doing that. Perhaps they don't mind revisionism - they did allow Beatles 1 to be issued with revised sound so...

4. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm glad HBO didn't "pixilate" out he cigarette in Ronnie Wood's hand while he was playing at MSG last Saturday night. I thought it was interesting that he could hold the ciggie in the fingers of his right hand while using that same hand to play the guitar.

I was surprised that Keith didn't seem to smoke as much during the show as I though he usually does.

Maybe Capitol will release "Yesterday And Today" on CD and use the "Butch Photo" with the baby dolls and meat airbrushed out?

5. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Of course; let us not forget that many of these movies showing stars smoking were placed there by agents who handed out product and money. This still goes on. With technology permitting people to skip commercials, there is now talk that product placement integrated into the program is the next big wave set to wash over us. (I'm not suggesting Paul or Apple got paid for this "placement").

6. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Check out the cover of the "Real Love" single. Ringo has very obviously had a ciggie digitally removed from his hand, and possibly John as well. Didn't Capitol do something similar to the 20th Anniversary reissue sleeve of "I Want To Your Hand"?

7. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I really doubt that's the issue. SOME TIME IN NEW YORK CITY has always been considerably less popular than the albums that have already been remastered, and the fact it's a two-disc set makes it even less attractive to potential customers. I'm sure they'll get around to remastering it eventually, but I suspect WALLS AND BRIDGES and ROCK 'N' ROLL will come first.

That's true, but it's understandable considering that it was easily the least successful single released during Lennon's lifetime.

That is odd (although MILK & HONEY is also missing), but I doubt it has anything to do with "Woman Is the n****r of the World," since that song is on no fewer than FOUR albums included in the discography (ANTHOLOGY, WONSAPONATIME, SHAVED FISH, and LIVE IN NEW YORK CITY). And those first two albums were released just before the remaster series began.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if SOME TIME IN NEW YORK CITY was left off the discography because it was confused with LIVE IN NEW YORK CITY. Sloppy but not sinister.

8. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Has anyone noticed that current copies of Rush's Hemispheres CD has the "offensive" nude man picture replaced by a plain black cover with the title?

9. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

TV will start to become as it was in The Truman Show. The characters in the shows will be doing the commercials. Truman couldn't understand why his wife behaved the way she did.

10. michael w

michael w New Member Thread Starter

Hi MMM,

The original BBC news item said the following:

" The move was made without the permission of either McCartney or Apple Records, which owns the rights to the image. "

"We have never agreed to anything like this," said an Apple spokesman.

"It seems these poster companies got a little carried away.

"They shouldn't have done what they have, but there isn't much we can do about it now."

Actually, Apple could apply legal pressure to stop distribution of these posters and even get them destroyed ?

Yoko and Paul have more than enough resources to mount any legal action, though they are known to be rather tight with the purse strings.

cheerio,
    Still PO'd

11. mjb

mjb Senior Member

I definitely haven't seen this variation... is this in proper record stores, or just department stores?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.