DCC Archive Abbey Road--read it and puke

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul L., Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member Thread Starter

http://64.154.92.195/forums/hirez/messages/48500.html

Take a look at this thread, which begins here. It seems that our friends at Abbey Road liked what they did with "Because" on "Anthology" so much thay they are now doing it with all their DVD-A surround mixes. I hope this is a bad joke. I fear it is not.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

From M Jones (on the same link):

"What the engineers at Abbey Road Studios did was to replay the analogue stereo master recordings (which were originally made in Abbey Road Studio 1) back through monitor loudspeakers in Studio 1, and then re-record the reproduced sound in surround for the DVD-A reissue!
    So now you get the ambience of Abbey Road added to the ambience of Abbey Road, plus the added degradation from the playback chain. This is then described as 'high resolution' and sold at a premium price!"

Wait a minute...... this is a joke, right? :(

[ December 19, 2001: Message edited by: Gary ]

3. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

4. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

The future sure look scary to me!! :(

5. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

My only hope is that someone did this as a one-time gimick. I truly hope they didn't think this was a good way to come up with surround information for all future releases.

Sigh.

Why do I suddenly have thoughts 1950's 3D movies using red and blue glasses and smell-o-vision?

6. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member Thread Starter

It's worth repeating: As bad as The Beatles CDs are right now, they might very well end up worse if they're redone.
    At least The Beatles and survivors have control of the material. But pity the normal musician who has little or no say over what EMI or whatever record company involved does with his recordings.

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It's much more than the Beatles, EMI and a few lawyers. Just keep positive and open ears. It might sound ok. But if someone here that you "trust" opinion from says it sucks, I myself woulnd't buy it.

I don't really like giving money to people who screw things up. More to the people who seem to be doing the right thing, even if it's the bootleggers. Money talks. So do fans.

8. Matt

Matt New Member

Man, no matter how many times I see it, that barfing icon is HI-larious!

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

...and YOU guys like things mixed to surround for DVD-A...tsk-tsk...

There goes the sound of original recordings!

10. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

This has GOT to be a hoax, or a joke, or a miscommunication on someones part.

If multitrack tapes exist, WHY would they not be used to make a surround sound remix?

It just doesnt make any sense and the folks who run the most famous recording studio in the world just cant be that dumb.

Can they?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.