Absolute Beginners - David Bowie appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davers

davers Forum Resident

Good start! I'd add another 10-15 tracks to my own 80s Bowie list.

I thought he had a great run during that period and only started to dial back with the Tin Machine project.

Edit: And Absolute Beginners (the song) has gotten even better with time.

Binni and BlueSpeedway like this.
  2. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

There’s a lot more I like, but that list of songs I particularly love and would defend to the end :)

davers likes this.
  3. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Definitely one of my favourite Bowie songs. I tend to like the ones that are more laid-back, where he doesn't ''try'' to force a melody; Heroes, Ashes to Ashes, Absolute Beginners. One of my highlights from the 80's. I still have the 45rpm of this; in fact, it's the only version I have.

Binni likes this.
  4. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Haven’t we done a thread about songs that are better than the movie where it’s from? .. or something like that.

5. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Great song. One of my favourite Bowie tracks.

RockRoom likes this.
  6. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

The soundtrack version of Cat People is easily one of my all time favorite Bowie tracks. It’s so full of menace and atmosphere. Bowie’s vocal is unreal.

7. nuclear_error

nuclear_error Forum Resident

This would be my 80's Bowie list as well but I would swap out Loving the Alien for Julie

Solace likes this.
  8. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Great track that I have only truly appreciated in the past 2 years since his death. I definitely think it gets lost in his 80s output. Very underrated.

9. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

'Absolute Beginners' by The Jam released five years before Bowie's..Totally different songs but both brilliant.

andybeau likes this.
  10. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

bobcat likes this.
  11. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Yup.

vudicus likes this.
  12. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not the entire 80's just the mid 80's as mentioned in my OP. 80 -83 Bowie (especially Scary Monsters) is mostly great.

Gazza63 likes this.
  13. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Beautiful song, brilliant video, pretty good movie too.

14. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Now just skip the mostly and you're there.

15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Shocking - I knew there was a delta, just not that large!

16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll stick with mostly. The title track to Let's Dance is great but for me the album is not. A big drop off from Scary Monsters

17. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I think you're pretty unlucky with vinyl. I got one of the green ones and although it's a digitally edited transfer it is flat as a pancake and really quiet. It's a nice looking reissue, but I wish they hadn't chopped up Magic Dance.

I don't have the Absolute Beginners ost. On Saturday I saw an old VG vinyl Just A Gigolo going for a fiver in Brick Lane, but I didn't bother.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  18. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

You could always get the US 12", for the cover photo alone :agree: ; if you enjoyed the Shake It 12" ..

BlueSpeedway and oldturkey like this.
  19. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

The only place you'll find 'David Bowie's Revolutionary Song'. Should have been on the last Re:Call, IMO.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  20. BlueSpeedway

Is he on the Gigolo record or just the cover? I never bought The Hunger LP even when I used to see it for pence as he isn’t on it, just the cover.

You mean green vinyl? My Labyrinth is black. I’ve had terrible luck since getting my turntable fixed. I had a few Eno reissue freebies to play, and some HMV credit to use up, so far since getting the TT fixed I bought, all new:

Iggy The Idiot silver vinyl: whooshing sound on last track’s fade out / vinyl ugly grey not silver. £22. Returned.

Pink Floyd Meddle: nipple like pressing fault bump at the start of side 1, audible but tolerable as it’s over quickly. Another nipple in the middle of Echoes, intolerable but I’ve lost the receipt, £19.

Popol Vuh Spirit of Peace: pops, crackles, paper shreds all over the vinyl, very quiet music, useless on vinyl, shouldn’t have bothered. £25. Returned.

Labyrinth: warped, loud pops. £12. Kept as it’s nice to have next to my old Absolute Beginners LP.

21. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I don't actually like Magic Dance - I just wish they didn't chop it up. There's no reason for it.

Saying that, they could chop up Without You if they liked and I wouldn't mind. I would help them do it.

22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

This is Bowie's best post-1980 80's song, for sure. Amazing track, it's a shame it was kind of wasted on a soundtrack. It definitely would've bolstered Never Let Me Down.

23. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  24. BlueSpeedway

I must have known about that as a kid ploughing through anything Bowie related, or at least via the Nicholas Pegg song A-Z, but at this point I had no knowldge of its existence. Or memory, zilch.

oldturkey likes this.
  25. BlueSpeedway

I think he was paid a lot of money to write and record it. It was a commission from the Absolute Beginners film people / film company, part of his contract to act in it IIRC, quite a while before Never Let Me Down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.