AC/DC-Powerage Song by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Back in the day they used the beginning of Down Payment Blues for a local commercial in my area. I like the track.

npgchris and Zoot Marimba like this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

“Down Payment Blues” has to be one of the longer AC/DC studio tracks. I believe it’s over six minutes long. I like it very much. With Malcolm’s blustery opening to the pulsing beginning that increases in intensity until it hits critical mass and the bass and drums come in. Bon’s vocal delivery is perfect and everything just clicks.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  3. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Veteran of the original UK mix Porky cut here. Accordingly, for me, Powerage should always start with Gimme A Bullet, which works brilliantly as a mean & moody opener. Damnation's a fine song and a perfect single, but too upbeat to be a great opener for this fairly dark album.

4. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I love Powerage! One of my favorite Bon-era albums.

Rock n Roll Damnation...I really prefer the If You Want Blood... version, mainly because of those annoying hand claps. Nobody really needs the clap(s).

Down Payment Blues! One of my favorite AC/DC tracks; I always crank this one up when it comes on.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  5. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

and the way Down Payment Blues ends! - wonderful. I love the original UK mix.

6. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

I LOVE Powerage.

Down Payment Blues is my favorite track on the album.

It's also the best song from this album to really crank in the car.

7. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Here you go:

M321115, Jimmy B. and Madness like this.
  8. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

Down Payment Blues is just the perfect song to follow Rock 'n' Roll Damnation! That groove is infectious! Gotta love those lyrics, and Bon's unique delivery too! Over six minutes of AC/DC perfection!

The MEZ, Jimmy B., npgchris and 2 others like this.
  9. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Down payment Blues! It doesn't get much better than this. Absolutely brilliant and an all time classic! The groove, the solos and Bon is just perfect. You just feel the agony and melancholy. The praise is waaaaaay overdue! :righton::uhhuh:

The MEZ, M321115, LongGoneBon and 4 others like this.
  10. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Yes, I remember reading this. Unfortunately, I can't be of any help as I don't remember the magazine, nor do I remember any details other than what you just said. But if it helps to know that you're not crazy, yes, there's someone else who remembers reading that as well.

I've long felt that Malcolm was underrated as far as how unique he was. But I suspect among the really knowledgeable, passionate AC/DC fans, his importance is understood. I've long ranked him pretty highly amongst rhythm players, but reading what you and a few others have had to say about him here at SH Forums, has only increased my respect for him. The guy truly was peerless. I'm sorry, but for me, without Malcolm, it's not AC/DC.

11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Even though I will still give the Axl DC record a fair chance of there is one, I agree with you that it's not AC/DC

npgchris likes this.
  12. Trace

Trace Senior Member

This album was my introduction to AC/DC. On 8-Track, no less! Still is my 2nd favorite AC/DC record, running right behind Highway To Hell. Listened to them both this past weekend. Still as good as ever. Timeless!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  13. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

(Down Payment Blues)

I bet that was a scruffy looking cat, if it belonged to Bon. :p

npgchris and Zoot Marimba like this.
  14. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Cool, I've read of those...what Discogs calls a pirate pressing?
    This is a pirate pressing!
    Unfortunately one of an ever growing number of well made "replicas". Giveaways are: Track sequence (Cold Hearted Man is on Side 2 of original UK pressings). Modern print card for cover. And there is at least a green vinyl version of this pirate. The inclusion of the letter "P" in the matrix number.

Plus the original only has four tracks on sd 1, and mastered by Peckham.. Still a cool item to own

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  15. Combination

The green vinyl would be an obvious giveaway. But let's not forget the original red vinyl from Canada, and that is absolutely genuine.

16. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

My introduction to AC/DC was as an opening act for Alice Cooper in the summer of 1978. I was 16 at the time, and saw them with my Mom, Aunt and sister in Lexington, KY (my Mom being an elderly 34 years old at the time.. haha). I knew nothing about them at the time, but their stage show blew me away. As soon as I got home, I purchased this album, which remains my favorite AC/DC album. I saw them again later on that same summer at a "Day on the Green" in Oakland CA (with Aerosmith, Foreigner, Pat Travers and some upstarts called Van Halen). What a show!

17. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Down Payment Blues! Love this song. Bon is great on this whole record. The lyrics i love. Love Bon's words and another cool riff. They did blues a lot but this one really comes together all around to make something that is one of my faves. Rockin' song.

18. Slick Willie

Never seen a red vinyl issue....was it Canadian mastered?

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  19. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Down Payment Blues

whew boy this is fun riff to play.

Classic AC/DC groove here - not a note wasted, not a shred of excess, just locked in. Nice build up too, great, great intro, quiet tension, escalating... escalating... then... BAM!

Bon chews it up and spits it out.

Hell yes.

20. Combination

I'd have to check mine, really can't remember. I got it for reasons that weren't related to its sound. :)

Slick Willie likes this.
  21. Slick Willie

I see that others have mentioned it, but the original UK press should probably be discussed as it was so different than the international releases from everywhere else.
    Often referred to as the 'rush mix' (or raw, or rough), in a effort to get it to market, it was pressed before the final mixes (and the track Damnation was finished) were completed.
    It has a grittier/rawer feel and with Porky mastering it....well, it's a beast!
    I also agree with an earlier post that applauded the track running order on this one.
    From Wiki:
    Many of AC/DC's early albums were altered for release in other markets, and this practice continued with Powerage, although it was the first LP to be released nearly simultaneously in both Australian and international markets and the first to use just one cover image for both. However, the first UK pressing also includes different mixes than all later versions, most noticeably on "Down Payment Blues" (which excludes the bluesy coda heard on later pressings), "Kicked In The Teeth" (the opening chord was omitted on all other pressings but is present on the UK vinyl version) and "What's Next to the Moon," (which omits solos and backing vocals heard on later pressings.) The European vinyl edition (specifically, the first UK pressing of the LP) included "Cold Hearted Man," a song that was not previously released, and would not be released on any other AC/DC album until 2009's AC/DC Backtracks boxed set. The song became more widely available through the boxed set of Bon Scott-era vinyl LP albums in 1981. The song was packaged on a single-sided 12-inch single in the 1987 boxed set. In some territories, Powerage omitted "Rock 'n' Roll Damnation" due to a rushed job in getting the LP to pressing plants in time for the release date, hence "Rock 'n' Roll Damnation" (which was not yet completed) was omitted, "Cold Hearted Man" was added, and the rushed mixes are different from the 'finished' mixes that were thereafter used.
    Anyhoo, I thought it should be mentioned.
    Rock on!!!!:righton:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

22. WisFish

WisFish Dig Them Grooves

The first time I went to a used record store I bought this along with For Those About To Rock, Led Zeppelin II, Disraeli Gears (1st press) and many others (I blew all my Christmas money there). I just started exploring 70's rock music and started collecting old Lps because they were cheaper than cds at the time (1999). It was my introduction to AC/DC. It's always been my favorite album of theirs. I played it over and over again, these songs stay in your head for days after hearing it. Then you gotta hear it again, only louder. This album is as close to a perfect rock-n-roll album as I can think of. All the songs are well written and the performance is top notch. There isn't ANY fluff here, the subject matter of the lyrics are fitting for pure hard rock. It isn't over done either, just enough rough edges.

Just a warning to those who haven't heard it, it may be habit forming.

Chuckiebob, M321115, yarbles and 2 others like this.
  23. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Sorry, late to the thread, but I absolutely love love love Powerage. My favourite album by my favourite hard rock group and probably an all-time top 10 album in any genre for me.

Wall to wall perfect. I prefer the RnR Damnation version over the Cold Hearted Man one. Yep, I'll take those handclaps and shakers anyday. Loved 'em on Problem Child as well.

Powerage didn't really get the acclaim it deserved back in the day. Not as many live favourites, but even the deep cuts are great, and there's some absolute corkers on side 2.

Being a big fan back in the day, I can tell you that H To H was actually viewed as a bit of a disappointment when it came out. Too many short and poppy tracks, not enough stretching out, and the raw, live in the studio feel had gone.

I've got an Albert cd that I'm happy with (Japanese). And I've still got the Canadian red vinyl somewhere (bought it mail order from Shades in 1979) even though I haven't had a turntable for years!

Sandinista, Zoot Marimba and npgchris like this.
  24. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

So, Down Payment Blues....what an absolute classic. And a million miles away from Girls Got Rhythm and Touch Too Much just 1 year later! This, this is that raw bluesy live in the studio feel that is easily my favourite AC/DC sound.

I love Malcolm (I assume) building up the riff before Angus finally kicks in. I love the guitar solo. And I even dig the noodling around at the end (not as much as on Gone Shootin' though).

But this one is really one of Bon's moments in the sun. Great lyrics, great delivery, and a glorious wail of despair in the second chorus. Love it!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  25. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Down Payment Blues

Wow, I had forgotten how incredible this song is! When their catalog was remastered around '03 or '04, I had intended on getting everything, but didn't. Powerage was one of the ones I didn't get, which means I haven't heard this album in quite some time. The songs where the boys really get bluesy are my favorites, and "Down Payment Blues" is probably the very best of all of those. The intensity just builds and builds. It really packs a punch.

I remember not paying all that much attention to AC/DC's lyrics the first few years I was into them. Sometime later, as the 80's wore on, and I began to focus way more attention on the lyrics, I came to realize how brilliant Bon was. It was something that passed me right by when I was first getting into them. "Sheriff knocking on my door / Ain't it funny how the time flies" conveys so much with so few words. And I love how "Sitting on my sailing boat / Sipping on my champagne" has become "Feeling like a paper cup / Floating down a storm drain" just a few lines later. Absolutely brilliant!

Though I had kinda forgotten about this one, due to not hearing it in ages, it just may be one of my all-time favorite AC/DC songs. I wouldn't have minded if it had gone on for a few more minutes. 10/10

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.