Acetate transfer questions for Steve and the gang

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pinknik, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

Steve, at work I occasionally get old (40's/50's) acetates cut usually at 78 rpm with either an aluminum core or paper. To transfer them to CD, we have a turntable that can play a variety of speeds, and a Stanton cart with a standard microgroove and a 78 stylus. I've come across a couple of discs that didn't sound too bad and were fairly quiet on this particular set up. MOST of them, on the other hand, have nearly equal signal to noise ratio. While it sounds very clicky and scratchy, it is so steady state that a de-click plug-in has little effect. It gets some, but not most of the sharpest clicks, the rest, it leaves. So , based on a thread about a Billie Holiday compilation you did, would a thin coat of Wesson oil help alleviate some of this? Further, we have only the one "78" stylus, no variety of sizes. How vital is stylus size to reducing noise, and what is the best way to select the proper size? Listening, something more scientific, or both? Thanks as always.

Greg

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Are you doing it for keeps or for fun?

If you only have one needle that is non-microgroove, I guess you are stuck. Liquid Freon works better than Wesson Oil these days. Make sure you bury the needle when playing. It should work fine. Don't forget to combine channels somewhere down the line, but not at first. You want your choice of the quiet spots on both.

3. Pinknik

Well, it's for keeps for my customers, so it's frustrating to not be able to reduce the noise much. I could possibly get more styli on line somewhere if that's necessary for the best results. Thanks for the tip. Where's the best place to locate liquid Freon?

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Not a clue how to find that stuff. I'm sure someone else knows. Don't forget to CAREFULLY clean the discs with Liquid Joy first and then dry!

5. Pinknik

Thank you, sir.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.