Acoustic Sounds announces new SACDs for Jimi Hendrix & Pink Floyd 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParanoidAndroid, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Both Hendrix and Pink Floyds are hybrid SACDs. :)

Maffune, tmtomh and MikeManaic61 like this.
  2. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Sweet! :pineapple::goodie: Then this will be on my list for next year.

Maffune, xj32 and supermd like this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Do they still even make single layer SACDs ?

art and soundboy like this.
  4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

In Japan they charge extra for them

5. Because they sound better. SHM, baby! Green isn't just the color of money. :laugh:

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

At this point, why are people even asking about hybrid? If your player has access to hi rez (SACD), the redbook layer should be of no concern. If your player can't access SACD, then why would you purchase an SACD? :wtf:

RoyH and mikedifr0923 like this.
  7. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

For the improved mastering on the Redbook layer. Is this a trick question?

8. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Disappointing Floyd titles unless they are fresh transfers and mastering,so many other albums could be SACDed.I do agree the Japan 2 track WYWH is the best I ever heard(I have every version of WYWH except the discovery box) to me the SACD sounds dull ,the 35dp has a snap to the snare,some might find that harsh tho I suppose.

Dave likes this.
  9. MikeManaic61

Well according to this:

Hybrid SACD

"The SACD layer of hybrid SACDs offers much higher fidelity than regular compact discs, containing up to four times the musical information. Hybrid SACDs are designed for CD-quality playback on conventional systems, including home and car stereos, portable CD players, computer CD- and DVD-ROM drives, and DVD players" (Description from Amazon).

Thus the reason why i asked, if it was a regular SACD i wouldn't get it since i don't have a SACD player. I have a regular conventional CD player and I have no plans getting an SACD.

Scottb likes this.
  10. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Ugh, you guys are going to make me track one down since I can’t remember if I heard it or not.

Regardless I still think the existing SACD for WYWH is excellent, even if there is a better digital mastering out there somewhere.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. ricks

ricks Senior Member

"The Jim Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced? and Axis: Bold As Love (US versions, Mono and Stereo mixes)"

Checking today's date I see it's not April 1st, so that's a good sign... Even is not combo of the UK and US AYE track listing it still seems too good to be true especially if mastered like their Living Stereo's, but one can hope.

Mr. Explorer, dee and LEONPROFF like this.
  12. Say It Right

You can't find that anywhere else without dropping $30? Incidentally, the mastering on the last APO WYWH was the exact same as for the 2011 (separate) redbook, difference being 5.1 SACD. For the record, that one clocked in at $40. Without access to hi rez surround, there was absolutely no reason for somebody without an SACD player to purchase that release.

It's really not necessary to link to Wiki entries.

You said that you have only a conventional CD player with no plans to get an SACD player. So you won't be able to access that 4 times musical information. Playback on home and car stereos, portable CD players, CD and DVD-ROM drives and DVD players can be accessed with decent (already existing) redbook material of which is plentiful if not universal for Pink Floyd.

13. I'm guessing AP reuses the existing 5.1 mixes found on Pink Floyd's earlier SACDs/Blu-rays. I guess if you didn't get Wish You Were Here SACD the first time around, this allows people to get it without mortgaging their home for a used copy. They could simply reissue that SACD without anyone making a fuss.

I am intrigued if we get a new stereo mastering for DSOTM. Of course, it would have been nice to see Meddle/Animals/The Wall/etc on SACD but Floyd's record label would never authorize that.

tmtomh and Mr. Explorer like this.
  14. MikeManaic61

I'm fine with that, redbook thingy i didn't know about so thanks for pointing that out.

EDIT: FYI, i'm more concerned about the mastering than the information frankly. Whoever gets their hands on it and makes very best from the master tapes fine by me

R. Cat Conrad and Say It Right like this.
  15. Say It Right

If you think that you might eventually get an SACD player, then it makes perfect sense to go for whichever of these titles are appealing. If not, save your money. Floyd was one of the best recorded acts ever. With Hendrix, the master tapes may not necessarily have been in the greatest if shape. So there's only so much that can be improved upon through the mastering process. (Of course I'm getting them!)

Jarleboy and mikedifr0923 like this.
  16. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

But just like different mastering on a Japanese release vs a US release you can get a different and maybe better mastering on an SACD....like Kevin Gray doing The Beach Boys or Bernie Grundman doing Hendrix.

Not sure what isn't making sense here.....

Now if you only care about having one mastering of an album, no reason to get another whether it's CD or SACD

17. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Right! How much improvement will the SACD bring to Are you experienced? Axis and Electric Ladyland are far better candidates for SACD IMO.

As for DSOTM, I have the 2003 SACD version. Nothing to loose sleep over but as the new PF SACD will be in the hands of BG, I suddenly have more interest...

Say It Right, murch and mikedifr0923 like this.
  18. murch

murch Forum Resident

Axis in mono rocks. Can’t wait

Tuco, FashionBoy and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  19. Say It Right

The fact that the Hendrix titles (and those Todd Rundgren) haven't previously received the treatment is what make these so intriguing!

Norco74, supermd, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  20. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

So pumped for the Jimi titles... I didn't see this on acoustic sounds yet though, does anyone know how to pre-order?

And as far as "what improvements could be made," because of lackluster source material. I remember a lengthy thread years back where Steve suggests AYE has never been mastered well. When asked what changes he'd make EQ-wise from a member, the response was along the lines of "send me my standard consulting fee and I'll tell you." But this thread has always made me hold-out hope that a good remaster could finally give us an audiophile-AYE. Considering Bernie is also a top-notch engineer, I can't imagine he'd take on this project if he didn't really think the right mastering/higher resolution would make a worthwhile project. Super pumped for this one. I need it on release date!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. ricks

ricks Senior Member

What's wrong with the Hendrix "Are You Experienced" Reprise CD

Remember, the original stereo mix tapes for AYE were sent to WB in Burbank in 1967 and they were used to make the first CD issue. So the Reprise first issue CD uses these original mixes. Too bad the sonics were "thinned out" as well.

Try this:

-2@3k, -1@6k, +3@50 or something like that...

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

DSOTM and WYWH again? LOL! No. Just no. Forget it. But the Hendrix looks interesting.

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Where does it say BG is involved with the 2 Pink Floyd titles ?

Sigma6 likes this.
  24. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

thanks for sharing that link... I did a quick search and tried to find the thread I was referencing, but now can't. I truly want to believe I'm not dreaming these things up, but maybe I am? Either way, I'm gonna dig the graphic EQ out of the storage room and try this very soon. Too bad that DCC disc never got made.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Axis mono :love:

Myke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.