Actor Bill Paxton, Dead at 61

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GodShifter, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

My brother is in TV in L.A., and through him I met Bill Paxton backstage at a concert in 1998. He was really nice and had basically the same demeanor he had in a lot of his roles. Anyway, it was all of five minutes but he seemed like a good guy.

MRamble, Tree of Life, Jonboy and 4 others like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

His most famous line (from Aliens) was reportedly an ad-lib...

3. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

anybody mentioned Frailty ? great underrated movie he directed in 2001...

R.I.P.

4. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

No way. I was listening this very morning an dafternoon to a podcast on WTF, with him featured. I thought 'I'd like to meet that guy'. I would've loved to see him get an Oscar. RIP. I loved his style.

5. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

6. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Unbelievable. Here is a guy who took care of himself and yet died so young. Always enjoyed his roles in film and television, both big and small. This doesn't seem real. RIP Bill
    [​IMG]
    My photo-realistic NECA 7 inch action figure of Bill as Hudson in "Aliens"

7. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

8. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

9. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

With guest players Mark Mothersbaugh and Alan Myers of Devo. Produced & engineered by Devo's Bob (II) Casale.

MikaelaArsenault and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  10. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

Music video directed by James Cameron!!

MikaelaArsenault and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  11. So has anybody checked on Bill Pullman?

12. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

What sad news - I always enjoyed his performances - he was out of the usual Hollywood mould...

RIP Bill - we'll miss you on screen :(

13. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

RIP....You took us to the moon and through the heart of a twister. You fought Predators and Aliens on the big screen and bought your role to life! Always great for a one-liner or two, his comic delivery was pure genius!

Man, you left us way to soon, gonna miss you....

14. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

15. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Very sad, a great actor. Also, the only actor who peed in his pants not once but twice in
    the same film (True Lies). One of my favorite performances by him. He will be missed....

MikaelaArsenault and longdist01 like this.
  16. Really sad news. I remember seeing him in Weird Science as a kid and never fought his performance. He was a dick in the movie and the line about making the kid eat a greasy ham sandwich in a dirty ash tray stuck with me through the years. The man had a great presence on film and so many great lines!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  17. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Reportedly, Bill Paxton was completely exhausted before shooting that scene, and confided in Kathryn Bigelow that he didn't feel he could do it justice. So he was given some kind of vitamin B12 injection - with the results you see. :)

(I seem to recall reading that in an interview with Bigelow from an old British zine called Shock Xpress.)

MikaelaArsenault and Tim S like this.
  18. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Weird thing (or not) is, when you Google Bill Pullman right now you get a ton of links to the stories about Paxton. I haven't seen anybody erroneously report Pullman dead or anything, though. I would imagine all the hits are due to articles referencing the running joke about mixing up Pullman and Paxton.

19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The funny thing about that line is how effective it actually is in real life.... it's one of the last things you want to think about if you're suffering from a hangover. :p

20. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Apparently, many of Chet's memorable lines were ad-libs Bill Paxton threw out on set - and they were quotes directly from his own father, John Paxton (who later became an actor himself). John Hughes loved them so much they were kept in the movie. :)

21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

One of my favourite lines in the movie:

Private Hudson: Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!

22. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

What a shame to lose this man who has been around in so many films and became very recognizable through the last few decades.
    With no disrespect, he was also "hot" looking!
    RIP Bill Paxton.

23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Frailty, directed by and starring Bill Paxton, is up on Netflix. It also stars Matthew McConaughey and Powers Boothe. Great flick! Check it out if you haven't had the chance.

24. DLD

DLD Senior Member

My first recollection of him was as Hudson in Aliens and his so quotable line (mentioned here many times already), "Game over man, Game over...." I think he worked in a "we're screwed" comment as well...

25. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Very good actor who chose his project's wisely. He could have completely sold out like the doofus Nicholas Cage but never did. I love A Simple Plan and One False Move.

MikaelaArsenault and GodShifter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.