Actors who played the same character in different (non-sequel, non-series) films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Sep 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

When I said "series", I meant "movie series" - I didn't intend to look at TV. I agree that'd be a mess! :D

Also not sure if animated films should count because it's way more likely someone will do voices for more than one character across movies in those - much easier to "hide" that it's the same actor when it's animated!

Coppertop Tester likes this.
  2. Coppertop Tester

Coppertop Tester Forum Resident

Ah, I get it. So, someone like Dwight Frye might count? He plays Fritz in "Frankenstein" and Karl in "Bride of Frankenstein".

3. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Jamal Woolard played the Notorious B.I.G. in 2009's Notorious and next month's Tupac Shakur biopic All Eyez on Me.

4. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Sean Connery playing James Bond in Never Say Never Again? it was not a sequel, nor part of the James Bond Series.

5. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Stan Lee played himself again on TV the other night. He was in an episode of "Fresh Off The Boat." (The episode revolved around comic books.)

6. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Crazy House (1943) - Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce appears as their Holmes and Watson characters as a cameo.

7. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

The late Edward Herrmann starred as Franklin D. Roosevelt in a pair of '70s made-for-TV movies, then reprised the role for a scene in the 1982 film version of Annie.

8. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Charles Gray played Mycroft Holmes in The Seven Percent Solution, and also in the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series on the BBC.

A case has been posited that Patrick McGoohan was playing his John Drake/Number 6 character in Ice Station Zebra, and has been proposed as the backstory as to why Drake resigned, leading to his internment in The Village.

guy incognito likes this.
  9. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Hal Holbrook also played Abe Lincoln mutliple times in 2 different TV miniseries:

1974 - Carl Sandburg's Lincoln
    1985-86 - North And South I and II

Fascinating fact about Hal Holbrook:

He gave over 2100 performances performing as Mark Twain during a 50+ year run of the the one-man play Mark Twain Tonight. He also brought it to TV and Broadway for a few performances. Holbrook finally retired from doing the one-man show as Twain last month (September, 2017.) Holbrook was known as Mark Twain longer than Samuel L. Clemens was known as Mark Twain. LOL

10. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

You mean The Prisoner, of course.

Judi Dench has played Queen Victoria in a few films, as well as Elizabeth I. It's probably on her business card at this point.

11. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Paul Bartel and Mary Woronov reprised their 'Eating Raoul' roles of Paul and Mary Bland in the sci-fi/horror flick, 'Chopping Mall' a few years later. Just cameos as I recall.

Eddie Constantine played FBI man Lemmy Caution in a series of standard detective films and then reconfigured the character for a peculiar dystopian science fiction setting in Jean-Luc Godard's 1965 film 'Alphaville.'

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Too bad we can't include animation, because Goofy has appeared as "everyman" in a number of Disney shorts wherein he plays the role of an "everyman" learning about whatever topic the cartoon chooses to lampoon. And, that would have consistently been Pinto Colvig doing the voice, right?

13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Rank probably begged him, and the regular paychecks must have been good. I'm sure other actors/actresses have play the same roles in several Hammer films, e.g. Peter Cushing as Frankenstein and van Helsing.

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

15. Indy500

Indy500 Forum Resident

I stumbled on this several years ago:

Frank Finlay plays Inspector Lestrade in both of the Sherlock Holmes hunts Jack the Ripper movies; A STUDY IN TERROR (1965} and MURDER BY DECREE (1979).

16. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Agreed. If anything, Waking Life is a spirtual sequel to Slacker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.