Adam Sandler movies are the worst things ever

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GodShifter, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synchronizer

synchronizer Forum Resident

He has one character: juvenile adult. Yes, I stay away from most of those types of movies, and I think that my favorite comedy is probably the Mel Brooks Producers for now.

Picca likes this.
  2. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yes i have always hated Adam Sandler,idiot!!!!!

Not good @ all.......

3. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member

I found them both quite enjoyable.
    Maybe you need to be in the right frame of mind, or perhaps you were not the target demographic.
    Somewhat like making my grandmother sit through a wild horror movie that I love and expecting her to love it as much as me. She is early 70's.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess I'm not in his "demographic" in that if I see "a Happy Madison Production" before the start of a movie it's face palm time and I know I'm in for it. His brand of juvenile humor with zero plot basis is just pretty much stealing and/or appealing to the lowest common denominator. The last thing I saw (due to my daughter wanting to see it) was "Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2" which was a HMP and that was just an embarrassment. The newst one, "Pixels", looks horrible, too.

5. Kelan Wood

Kelan Wood Forum Resident

I remember seeing Big Daddy several times when I was a small child and thinking it was one of the funniest things i've ever seen. Now I can see that it's very juvenile and relies on a lot of the same gimmickry with Sandler shouting a lot and doing seemingly nice yet irresponsible things for his kid. Yet even though it may just be the nostalgia goggles talking, I find it to still be quite entertaining and have some good laughs. I think it's that he had a decent idea for a goofball comedy. Get a cute kid, cheap but effective, put him in a situation of a person not fit to be a parent but still quite likeable, and wackiness ensues. Now it's more like, he's gonna go on holiday or his friends'll have a reunion and act too young for their age, or he's gonna just plagiarise someone else's idea if he feels like he's putting in too much effort. Recently I saw Billy Madison for the first time, and while it probably would have effected me more when I was younger and there are cringeworthy moments, I still found things to enjoy. There's something weird and creative about it, there's so many different forms of humour. Yes it's lowbrow, yes the set-up could have been funnier, yeah I doubt i'd watch it again, but I get why it effected people so much when it came out. These days he's just gotten terribly lazy. I stopped watching his stuff a while ago. That said I do like The Wedding Singer and 50 First Dates, and his dramatic work in Punch-Drunk Love is wonderful. But i'm a bit tired of him honestly.

6. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

He's been a curse for over a decade.
    I don't know why he won't call it a day.?
    Too many hangers on I guess ?
    Maybe Pixels will be his final nail in coffin
    That , an his "appeal" is gone...
    And just go direct video route and big budget wide release
    of his movies are over with.

7. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

OUCH! .......... :)

8. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

A friend of mine and I used to ritually see pretty much every Adam Sandler movie that came out. I liked the Wedding Singer and 50 First Dates. Zohan is very funny IMO. Pixels is good for the 3-D effects, and not too bad in general IMO. Never liked The Waterboy. Liked Mr. Deeds and Little Nicky, and very much liked Click. Thought Punch-Drunk Love was overrated. Mildly liked Grown Ups, haven't seen the second one. I actually :hide: like both Mall Cop movies, as I really like Kevin James (watched every episode of King of Queens with another friend, from a complete episodes box I got cheap at Best Buy). Mildly enjoyed Billy Gilmore. Still haven't seen Happy Madison (that came out before my friend and I started our moviegoing ritual). Also sort of liked the subversive Eight Crazy Nights.

9. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

My idea of hell would be strapped in a chair like Malcolm McDowell while Adam Sandler movies are shown in a continuos loop.
    [​IMG]
    Now if that doesn't get me to clean up my act nothing will.

10. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Well, he keeps making money, so I don't see why he'd want to stop. Pixels is set to make money. Someone mentioned Blended as being his worst opening, but it still made a lot of money. Jack and Jill made money. The Cobbler was a legitimate flop, but it also wasn't the typical sized Sandler movie. Some of the movies may be terrible, but if they make money, why would he stop?

11. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Given the choice between watching an Adam Sandler movie and having my head cut in half with a chainsaw.... gimme the chainsaw and I'll do it myself.

D.D.

12. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I can't tell which one you saw and which one you didn't. :D

I'll assume you saw Happy Gilmore since that followed Billy Madison, but if you mildly enjoyed Gilmore, and like some of his other films, I think you owe yourself a viewing of Billy Madison. I think those two are really his best...

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's "Billy Madison" and "Happy Gilmore". Not sure which one you didn't see, though you imply it's the earlier movie you missed - that'd be "Billy Madison"...

14. Oatsdad

Rule of the Internet: if I don't like something, it cannot be allowed to exist! Other people like it? Doesn't matter - I don't want to see it, so no one should be able to see it!!! :laugh:

15. Oatsdad

Not accurate. Sandler isn't an actor with great range, but it's incorrect to state that he plays characters akin to his role in "The Waterboy" in every movie.

Most of his characters are fully functional - and often very successful - adults...

16. synchronizer

I was thinking of Billy Madison, but alright. I cannot take him seriously in any case.

17. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

People everyday say I look and have the same mannerisms as Adam Sandler :shrug:. I loved Waterboy and Wedding Singer, quit watching his films from Little Nicky up to Just Go With It, and began enjoying some of his more recent films(Grown Ups, Jack and Jill). I like his lighthearted comedy and his movies are relaxing to watch.

18. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I miss when he did stuff like Big Daddy and Happy Gilmore.

19. Oatsdad

To be fair, the title character matures a lot in "Billy Madison". At the start, he's a man-child, largely because his wealthy father spoiled him and allowed him to stay in a permanent state of teenage-dom.

However, Billy grows up by the end of the movie and can't be viewed as a "juvenile adult" anymore.

I think the lead in "Waterboy" is played as a child-like innocent from start to finish, but not Billy. (Well, Billy's childish, not child-like, but either way,. he's a different guy at the movie's end...)

20. Oatsdad

I actually thought "Big Daddy" was his first real misfire. IMO, Sandler's weakest movies tend to come when he plays "hotshot" characters. When he plays nice guys or at least ordinary guys, he can be good, but when his ego gets the best of him, he's awful.

That's "Big Daddy", a character who seems like nothing more than Sandler's ego gratification. Same thing happened in the awful "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry": Sandler cast himself as a slick ladies man and he just came across like a jerk.

I can take Sandler who's not "nice" - ala "Billy Madison" - but not Sandler who takes a role that just seems to inflate his ego...

21. synchronizer

What do you all think of Click? To me, the climactic scene comes across as a bit disturbing.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I must admit I've enjoyed most of his movies, and a few were just OK...but, I do not have any serious problems with any of his films.

23. Michael

love that movie, and as usual Christopher Walken was brilliant....

24. Michael

me too...and for me Little Nicky! Rodney was great!

25. Michael

Damn! that's brutal...LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.