Add me to the list ... Just bought a Sony SCD-CE775 SACD player ...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JPartyka, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High Thread Starter

I was going to wait on hi-rez digital, but at the prices this model has been going for, and with the Stones and CCR and Zombies discs coming, well ...

I haven't even hooked it up yet, but I found this tidbit on Audio Asylum ... Any 775 owners played around with this? I'll be hearing it only with redbook discs and in stereo, at least for the time being ... I don't have a multichannel setup and I haven't yet procured any SACD titles (don't know where to start) ...

"As a CD player it is excellent. Since I began using it, I have unplugged the Musical Fidelity CD player and the MSB Technology Link DAC that I formerly used. In comparison to the MSB Link DAC, the CE775 sounds crisper and sweeter. In comparison to the MF E624, the CE775 sounds sharper, with better resolution and detail (but just as sweet). To tell the truth, I have not heard the equal of the CE775's sound quality in any sub-$1000 CD-only machine. Word of wisdom: this high standard of sound quality is only available from the muli-channel RCA connections. Avoid the stereo taps (they do not appear to be properly buffered)."

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I have my 775 set-up in stereo only.
    Will the multichannel L & R give me the proper stereo image?

3. JPartyka

That's what I was wondering ... A few folks on Audio Asylum seem to think so. I guess I'm just going to have to try it for myself and see what sounds better, or if I can even detect a difference ...

4. audiomixer

I am going to try it when I get home tonight!

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Would you not loose some music if the music is supposed to be in the rear speakers only (multi channel mode?).

Or does this mean you keep it set to 2 channel and only use the R & L multi channel taps? Hmmmmm, as I only have 2 SACDs and no multi channel set up, I don't think I'll really be able to tell.....

Think I'll watch this thread carefully!

6. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I'd be curious about this also. I am thinking about picking up this player.

7. JPartyka

This is the idea, as I understand it, Gary. As usual, I'm just going to let my own ears be the judge ...

8. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Are there any new 775s for sale? Where? I need a good back-up player.

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Pigmode, any Sony stores in Canada but I guess that does not help you too much....

10. Chris Wheeler

Chris Wheeler Forum Resident

i got my 775 last month online from musiciansfriend.com. i think it was $175 plus something like $12 shipping. i was happy with dealing with them and am excited about the new player. looks like they still have some left. now if the stones' SACDs would just come out...

11. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

You'll love it, Pigmode! 775's are $249.99 CAD + tax, new, in the box ~ that's like $160.00 US!

Thanks for the links.

...... don't forget your snow shovel ..........

13. audiomixer

Good Morning:

I did try the multichannel L & R front in stereo mode and I do "think" I hear a difference on Redbook CD more than I do on SACD. More listening tonight!!!

14. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I am also very interested in this player. I have one at my home on loan, waiting for The Stones cds to test the player.

It seems to be the perfect answer to a newbie to SACD.

I'm already a DVDA Man!

15. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

16. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I always find it sorta weird that mods (like, for the 775) cost more than the machine. And when it's all said and done, I could have bought a 555. Or 777.

No not sorta weird - really weird!

17. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

Gary,

Well, it probably is because mods are pretty much done by hand, one guy working on one machine. Whereas players are made on an assembly line. You're paying a lot for the modder's expertise and labor, not much for parts.

Same thing as far as repairs nowadays--much more sense to throw away a VCR when it breaks and buy a new one--cheaper than getting it serviced, especially if it was a design flaw, in which case the fault will show up again. But I digress.

Also, on the Sony SACD players, these are tremendous bargains.

18. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Another scenario might be buying the best CD you can afford at the moment, and later finding that its easier to afford a mod rather than an upgraded machine.

I'm curious but skeptical. One of those places claims their Sony DVP-NS500V mods allow it to equal the Sony 777.:eek:

19. JPartyka

Paul,

Thanks for posting that ... I'd have to agree. I did quite a bit of listening yesterday using both the stereo and multichannel L-R outputs, using both redbook discs and the 3 SACDs I bought yesterday (Kind of Blue, Blonde on Blonde and The Stranger), and I heard little if any difference. So I'm just using the stereo outs.

I'm loving the player, by the way. I honestly didn't know what to expect of its redbook-CD performance, but it's a revelation, at least compared to the cheapo CDP I was using before. Guess I never realized how badly that one stunk ... :eek:

-- Jeff

20. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Just curious - what previous CDP did you have?

What would really be interesting would be to compare a Sony ES CDP (non SACD) with a Sony SACD CDP (non ES).

Think I'll start a thread on that. Someone may be able to help!

21. JPartyka

I had a Teac 1160, a single-deck model that I tweaked to the 9's using some ideas from tnt-audio.com (which has suggestions for even lower-end Teac models). When I was putting my dedicated audio system together last year, I was only listening to digital about 20 percent of the time, at most, and I didn't have lots of money to spend. It was a reasonable player and I got some enjoyment out of it, but this Sony player is leaps-and-bounds better.

I found myself starting to rediscover my 1500+ CD collection over the past few months and had thought of upgrading my player anyway, so ... why not get one with SACD capability too.

22. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

I've been using a 775 for a few weeks now and and for the money this is one hellava machine soundwise. Sure, the overall construction is typical, but in the sound department this thing really shines. Mine is wired with the 2 L&R fronts and the 2 rears, but I haven't yet purchased a SACD disc because I haven't seen anything that has interested me locally.

And no sooner had I completed my gold DCC Creedence collection and bought the CCR box set (at a steal on ebay, plus I have all the original discs) does the Creedence SACD's come out. My wife said, "you're not going to buy any more Creedence discs...are you???":laugh: I'm probably going to find something this weekend because I'm curious to hear what SACD is all about.

23. stereo71

stereo71 Senior Member

Sony CE775

I read somewhere, AA Hi-Rez maybe, that the front jacks
    carry the same signal as the normal stereo pair, when
    playing redbook. Someone supposedly verified this by
    looking under the hood. There might be some mention of
    this in the manual, but right now I can't locate it...

I've tried mine both ways and don't notice any difference.

--Roger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.