Adding A Tape Monitor To An Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by POE_UK, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a Technics su-x502 amp that doesnt appear to have a tape monitor socket, but it does have preamp in and out (that has to be shorted together for the amp to work) now could i plug my 3 head tape deck into those sockets instead of the tape input to act as a monitor? im a bit confused on how a tape monitor button works, its been a long time lol.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  2. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

The unit has a tape rec out and play back section. If you use the pre out and pre in like you suggest you will lose the tone and more importantly the volume control. Tape playback will be at 100% of amplifier output. I advise not to try it.

POE_UK likes this.
  3. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Well, I think the issue is that you don't have a front panel tape monitor button, right? So basically, you can't 'monitor' how your recording is going (even though the 3rd head is sending the just-recorded signal to the tape input) without changing the source that you're recording.

POE_UK likes this.
  4. POE_UK

ok thanks, i have totally forgot how the whole tape monitor connections work, what exactly does monitor button switch to and from?

5. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

It switches the signal going to the outputs between the source (phono, tuner, cd....) (which is also the signal being recorded if you are recording) and the signal coming from the tape playback. It is used to allow you to monitor the recorded signal quality as compared to the source being recorded signal quality.

6. POE_UK

Cheers m8

7. POE_UK

So could i use a Technics SH-GE70 graphic equalizer as a tape monitor?

[​IMG]

8. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

In the tape loop. But it won't improve using the tape deck on its own.

9. POE_UK

Oh right but its got a monitor button on the front of it, ?

[​IMG]

10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

If the button's function is of primary importance then sure.

11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Absolutely. Do you own one or are planning on acquaring it ?

12. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

You could but what is it you are trying to achieve. Inserting another device just to have the mon. switch may not be the best idea. Each device and it's connections may decrease the original sound quality. There are no "straight wire with gain" devices so each add brings sone alteration to the original signal quality. Your Profile has no information. Please provide a listing of your gear as a minimum. It is so hard to take part in threads like this when the OP does not provide the info. on the system being asked about. Most tape recorders with 3 heads provide a monitor button. What recorder are you using?

qwerty and The Pinhead like this.
  13. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

In his situation, that would work only on the headphone jack of his recorder, if it has one.

14. POE_UK

Yea i am mate, i have the matching amp for it

15. POE_UK

Its a Technics RS-BX727 with amplifier SU-X502, i also need to buy the tuner ST-X3202L to make the system remote capable and have a timer

16. The Pinhead

Nice unit. I owned one for a year or so back in the 90s.

POE_UK likes this.
  17. POE_UK

The amplifier sounds absoultely awsome yep, can you remember what link cables it uses to join them all together? are they standard mono or stereo 3.5mm plugs?

18. The Pinhead

You mean the RCA signal cables ? Or some control ones ? Never used the control ones.

19. POE_UK

Thats it the control cables, i think theyre stereo 3.5mm jack plug cables for the remote signal to be sent to the amp

20. The Pinhead

I had a box full of them because they came with the eq, CD player, and each one of my 2 Technics double cassette decks, but sorry, never used them because my receivers were not Technics so I can't remember whether they were 3.5s or some proprietary plugs. Don't think giving a standard 3.5 a try might harm anything. Worst case scenario they won't work.

I take it you have the original remote that came with your receiver ?

Keep us posted !:righton:

POE_UK likes this.
  21. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

I just looked at the tape deck specs. and it is described as a 3 head deck but it is not. There is a combo record and playback head. This is not the same as a true 3 head configuration of erase-record-playback. The reason there is no monitor switch is you can not monitor the recording (the tape) during the recording process. No matter how you hook this deck up you will always hear the input source during recording....not what has been recorded on the tape. Only when the tape is rewound and played with the deck selected as the system source will you hear whats on the tape. Because of this limitation it is pointless to have a "tape monitor" function.

22. POE_UK

The Technics RS-BX727 is indeed a 3 header with a monitor button on the front, it works through the headphones until i get this all figured out.

[​IMG]

shadowlord and The Pinhead like this.
  23. POE_UK

Im using a Logitech harmony 650 when its set up, it has a screen on and you can configure each button how you want it, thanks yea just ordered the tuner from ebay it has a remote sensor that controls everything else in the chain.

I managed to find a ST-X302L tuner dirt cheap in excellent condition apart from scratches on the main knob, which can be sanded and polished back. i made sure out of all the listings i bought one with a nice bright VFD display as i think they look terrible when theyve gone to air and faded.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    The Pinhead likes this.
  24. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Hey your amp does have a tape loop. Its just the VCR in and out audio jacks. Will work exactly the same as a tape loop. Just plug your tape deck in there.

25. The Pinhead

So will the tape in and out for that matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.