Adobe offers legal, free Audition 3.0, Photoshop CS2, more...

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by sparkydog, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident Thread Starter

Adobe is offering legal, free full versions of some of their older software including Audition 3.0, Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS2 and more. I assume this is a limited time offer.

Adobe - CS2 Downloads

2. RPhelps

RPhelps Forum Resident

wow I'm gonna try some of these -thx !

3. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Here's the catch (if you want to call it that) -- these are old versions they no longer support, and are designed for older OS's - ie they may not run on Windows 7 and the OSX versions are for PowerPC only.

Still a nice gesture to basically give these away as their old license servers are going down.

4. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

It is actually a screw up on Adobe's part.

They were closing down an old license server, and thought they were just moving access for those users who needed to re-authorize their machines. Instead, they left the barn door open to these 7+ year old apps. I downloaded Audition 3.0 - it is amazing how "primitive" it is. I am a licensed Sony SoundForge/Vegas Pro user, but I started out with Cool Edit Pro (Audition evolved from it).

I suspect the same for the CS2 apps - I currently have CS5, but started out with CS3. Features we take for granted today - weren't there a few years ago.

5. Thurenity

I might test out Audition 3.0 on Win8 - might give me a reason to rebuild my Ubuntu needle drop server to Win8. Haven't decided yet but worth exploring...IF it works of course.

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Audition 3 does work on Windows 7 natively

Mister Charlie and Thurenity like this.
  7. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Photoshop asks for license number after download.......no good.o_O

8. Thurenity

Did you use the license number listed on the same web site, during the install?

EDIT: Installed Audition 3 on a Windows 8 VM, for testing -- install ran fine, just needed the serial number (on the same web site) to install. Will need to check for updates next. :D

Nice potential option for the Windows needle droppers out there.

9. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Yes.
    Tried it twice after download and gave up.

10. Thurenity

I'll try it out shortly and will report back.

EDIT: Looks like Adobe fudged the serial, but SlickDeals has the original one they must have posted -- it's 1045-1412-5685-1654-6343-1431. (posting this as I believe it's public knowledge btw - but if the Gorts want to pull it, I'll just say Google the offer on SlickDeals and you'll find the serial number).

11. BradOlson

I have installed a bunch of this software using these serial numbers and they worked. I have long used warez copies of some of this software including Audition 3.0, but now I can be legit for free. Thanks for this heads up.

12. BradOlson

I have installed just about every offered program and they work fine on this computer although the Adobe PDF printer on Adobe Acrobat Professional 8 on my computer no longer works, but the CutePDF printer is a worthwhile substitute and I removed the old Adobe PDF printer.

13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The serial number listed for Audition 3.0 on that site DOES work.

14. BradOlson

Yes it does work. Now you can needle drop, edit audio, etc. professionally for free.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Glad I looked down here! Going to try out Audition; might be a nice midway point between Audacity and getting my Pro Tools rig up and running.

16. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

For those running Win XP it's a nice deal

17. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I have a previously purchased copy of Photoshop CS2 and was looking into upgrading my XP computer to something faster. Obviously, most PCs these days run on Windows 7 (or 8). Also, I want to run Adobe Lightroom 4, which will not run on XP, it needs at least Vista to load correctly.

I googled around a bit, and found a workaround for running CS2 on Windows 7. I have not tried it yet, but others seem to have gotten it to work:

http://www.mobiletropolis.com/forum...w-To-Install-Adobe-Photoshop-CS2-on-Windows-7

18. BradOlson

I got CS2 to work without a workaround using the download and the serial number posted, and you have to remove the registration DLL so that you can get rid of the screen once and for all.

Thurenity likes this.
  19. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Just to be clear, you got CS2 running with Windows 7? If so, I may PM you in a few days for some details, if I have problems doing the same. (I have a Windows 7 machine on the way to me as I write this.)

20. BradOlson

Yes I do have it running on Windows 7.

riverrat likes this.
  21. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yes, and I found out about it before it went viral. I got a new SSD recently and had to reinstall my copy but couldn't activate it. It took a while to figure out why but this is what they came up with. It was intended for people like me who paid but couldn't reactivate after reinstalling.

After all of this hassel I ended up upgrading to CS6.

22. jonathan

jonathan Senior Member

23. BradOlson

24. Thurenity

I have it running on Windows 8, as well (x64). I got the registration page to stop by running the app as an administrator (one time only) and then checking the "do not register" choice.

The Adobe Updater doesn't work, however - I had read this on SlickDeals that if you bump your systems's time down to early 2011 or 2010, it will work. Or you can just grab the update manually -- in the case of Photoshop, there's just one update to bump it up to 9.0.2

Mac version also runs on OSX 10.6.8. Rosetta needs to be downloaded and installed with OSX -- does this automatically when you run the installer for the first time.

As per SlickDeals, only the "WWEFG" one is required (that's the base install). The loopolgy ones are effects, so not required. I had Audition running on Windows Server 2012 and only used that one WWFG file.

EDIT: So far I haven't used any of these heavily yet (as I understand that the legality is still questionable). I still use GIMP on Windows and I had issues with Audition and my ADC, so I went back to Audacity. Adobe as a company that should know better than to allow this very open access to their software - it's not even locked down by a userID page, which they could easily do. My guess is that they are hoping more people do what Doug did, without actually stating that upfront.

What if MS put up a volume license copy of XP, with no sign-in page, but they said "don't use this unless you have an XP license already". What do you think would happen? :D That's why you lock these things down and/or offer unique keys to each customer.

25. Manos

Manos Forum Resident

Brad, is there a reason to avoid registering? The pop-up is a bit annoying.

I also have Photoshop cs2 running fine on Windows 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.