Adventures In Mastering: ALICE COOPER "Billion Dollar Babies" for Audio Fidelity..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Pardon my ignorance, but was the Billion Dollar Bill that came with the album legal tender?

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

No, it was a poster.

3. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Steve ... I enjoyed you sharing your challenges in putting these tracks together for the mastering process. Great job :)

4. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I'm still getting my head around the notion of gluing mastertape together to finish edits...

5. dkmonroe

Perhaps glue from sticky tape used to make edits? I don't think he meant that actual glue, as from a tube, was used to make edits, but I'm pretty sure that sticky tape was used to make edits. It would stand to reason that cellotape from 1972 is not quite as durable as the actual recording tape.

6. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Yes, but why would sellotape from the 1950s or 60s be free from that problem? I don't ever recall Steve or any other mastering engineer making comments here about sticky glue needing to be cleaned from the master before.

7. dkmonroe

I don't know, but every piece of sellotape that I've ever applied to anything from the 70's ended up being a mess 30+ later. I find it more surprising that we don't hear more of these stories. But I cannot be sure that audio engineers use the same kind of tape I used, it could be something different for all I know.

8. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Yes, it caused massive inflation in the seventies - not before I bought a mansion or two though :)

Tim

9. houston

houston Forum Resident

see, I knew that was it! and they tried to sell us on the idea that it was the Arab Oil Embargo :winkgrin:

ultron9 likes this.
  10. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Very interesting, to read about. Sounds like a real forensic excercise to get to the final product. I can't wait to hear the results of all that work.

PyroMessiah likes this.
  11. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

News sent me over the edge. Just pulled the trigger and ordered the AF of '' Love it to Death '' & '' Killer '' . Hope I'm not disappointed ;)

12. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

Killer is awesome. Raw, analog, all the anomalies of the times/era come thru. Makes for a great experience. Actually same deal with School, but there's something about the lower refinement of Killer...

Ocean56 likes this.
  13. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Looking forward to them. Killer's my favorite followed closely by Love it to death. Can't believe I got them both new for $50. Hope I didn't overpay. Time to start the search for School's Out.

14. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

It just keeps getting better. Can't wait for this one. My new number one priority purchase!

15. Mister Ed

Mister Ed Forum Resident

salivating already :-popcorn:

16. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

As always, a tip of the hat to Steve for the summary of his adventure and his lunch. Now if we could only have the earlier AF Alice titles as SACDs but that ship has left the dock. :shake:

coffeecupman likes this.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Killer rocks, just amazing. I was less impressed with School's Out, but it's still better than the WB.
    For LITTD, I'd say stick with the WB.

Ocean56 likes this.
  18. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

YES!
    Can't wait to hear Billion Dollar Babies mastered by our Host!

19. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

Superb news Steve

I was afraid you'd given up on doing more Alice!

20. bezrin

bezrin New Member

Steve,

I have to say I'm a little surprised to read this description of our work. We were judicious about lining up our machines to our set standard and the techs at the Record Plant were the best in the business (having all been graduates of A&R Studios). The only discrepancies should have been between the original album and any "bonus" material that someone may have added later. Also if our cross fades had been moved to the back of the reel, that was something that I'd bet the label would have done when we got to the era of iTunes. Are these in fact the real original tapes?

I'd love to see those tape boxes - so maybe you'd be so good as to put up some pics of them. I'd really appreciate it. I'll keep watching here to see if that happens.

And finally, I wonder why no one bothered to contact any of the creators of that stuff before doing this. It's not like we're that tough to find. I'm just saying.

Bob Ezrin

21. bezrin

bezrin New Member

One more thing: the way we made records, the mastering was an integral part of the process. No one took our stuff and reinterpreted it for purposes of mastering. What was mastered back then is what we wanted to hear. Regardless of your take on the quality of the sound of the original album, that IS what we were going for and that's the sound that any true fan ought to be looking for.

What you seem to be doing is re-imagining our work using interim stage components. The EQ'd master was the final stage of production for me. I was in the room, hands on knobs, throughout that process in order to get what I wanted to hear on the vinyl as best we could given the limitations of that medium.

I'm not opposed to re-mastering early works. But I think it's important to try to maintain the intent of the creators in the process. As the head creator of that album, I have to say that reading this report makes me somewhat skeptical about what you guys did there. I'd be happy to listen to the results and give you feedback if you would be open to that.

Bob Ezrin

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Bob, funny, Stephen Marsh and I were both singing your praises yesterday. Were your ears burning?

Regarding your note, we are not reissuing anything on vinyl, there are NO limitations, no need to compress or to filter bass or top end. You understand that this is no compromise Hi-Rez DSD via SACD.

Can this be the first time in 31 years of doing this that a producer doesn't want their work to sound the best that it can? I am sure that is not what you want. After all, this is the fourth Alice Cooper digital reissue we've done and by far the best sounding.

Bob, we don't use EQ'd dubs, we only use true masters and meticulously work on them to sound the best, just as I've been doing since 1982 on thousands of reissues. We always spend hours getting the crucial vintage Dolby A gear aligned and we always spend many hours fixing splices, etc., part of the job on 40 year old tapes.

The sound you'll hear on this new SACD is the sound YOU produced. We didn't tamper with anything, we never do. We don't revise history, we don't change history, we just let the original mixes shine through as always, without added needless limiting/compression or ANY "modern" tampering. This will be the first Audiophile release of this album and we're proud of the way it came out.

I talk about the process here to drum up some interest in the release just as I've been doing on everything I reissue, from McCartney, Dylan to Nat King Cole. Just contact me via PM and I'll have the studio send you a CD check disk, my treat. I'm sure you'll be happy with the sound. after all, it's the sound that you created. BOB IMG_20131111_102935_602.jpg

BDC, George P, rxcory and 13 others like this.
  23. mewdisk

mewdisk Member

:yikes:

BDC, George P, John Bliss and 3 others like this.
  24. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I'm looking forward to hearing Billion Dollar Babies with all the power, all the majesty, all the thunder that Bob Ezrin intended, and which Steve Hoffman will bring out.

ultron9 likes this.
  25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good thread - delighted to see Bob Ezrin post here.

George P, Ocean56, ultron9 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.