Adventures In Mastering: ALICE COOPER "Billion Dollar Babies" for Audio Fidelity..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Steve,

Sorry to read it's come to that. I enjoy reading all of those insider/technical posts about the work that goes into a mastering. But hey, the disc of Billion Dollar Babies will speak for itself.

Blair G., Rocketdog and junk like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Eh, no big deal, I talk too much anyway. No one in charge really likes me blabbing about mastering experiences (no record company suits, legal, etc.) so maybe it's for the best.

For me it's like a stress release after a big project, to talk about it to people who might care. Otherwise it just ends cold turkey and I sometimes go into a tailspin.

Markyp, SandAndGlass, imarcq and 7 others like this.
  3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

And that's just it...WE care. The suits aren't the ones buying the AF discs. WE are :) It is, what it is...I suppose.

4. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

There is a historical significance here. Mr. Hoffman gets to work with historical documents. Mr. Ezrin created history. I'm a nobody and I get to listen and participate. It's only rock 'n roll and we love it. Thank you both and keep up the good work.

5. junk

junk Hellion

Well anyway...I can't wait to hear the final product! It's gonna be so awesome! :bdance:

6. Can anyone else see all the AF Cooper discs available in November 2014 in a limited edition box set? ;)

Grampire and ultron9 like this.
  7. jallen89

jallen89 Forum Resident

I hope so! I missed out on the first 3 Alice Cooper Gold discs

8. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

Damn I really like these threads in the future could you just post what you want to say and not leave it open for comment? It would be a real shame not to have these anymore having the inside info from such a well-respected mastering expert is really what sets this site apart from a lot of others. I will miss these terribly

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    junk, Metralla and ParloFax like this.
  9. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

They're still out there, ebay and Amazon.

There are also the Japanese SHM-CD versions with all the original artwork and goodies. School has the fold-out desk and panties, B$B has the bill, Killer has the calendar, Muscle has the cardboard box. I think I recall past posts regarding them as pretty good sounding as well. Anyone have these?

10. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Yup.

Pat

11. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

This is MASSIVE! If there was ever an album that needed a tweaking BDB is it! I always thought it sounded too busy and brittle or something. This disc can only blow my mind I'm sure of it.

I read the whole thread from the beginning with a huge grin then CRASH! Sorry to see what appears to be just an ego mess ruin a good time. :( :hide:

Cousin It and junk like this.
  12. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

I don't care for the sound of them. Much prefer the AF discs.

13. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm very upset that this thread has caused a problem and now someone (Steve didn't give a name) told him to stop the "Adventures in Mastering" threads.

Having Steve as an active participant giving us "inside" information is one of my favorite things about the Steve Hoffman Music Forums.

I'm going to step out on a limb here and ask the Gorts why the first post from Bob Ezrin wasn't removed and sent to Steve as a PM. Steve and Bob could have had their discussion/disagreement in private and Steve would not have been told to stop the "Adventures in Mastering" threads.

Kkfan, ultron9, aroney and 2 others like this.
  14. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

That + Muscle of love in one box would be awesome !!!!!

15. houston

houston Forum Resident

No, the Gorts should not have reclassified Bob's post as a pm! That would be a form of censorship, and would lead to more chaos.. Bob and Steve can hash out any disagreements between themselves outside of this thread, this forum.

And I doubt this thread was the impetus for Steve cancelling future "adventures in mastering" threads..It didn't help, of course, but I get the feeling several people, not one individual, have told him to stop, and were likely telling Steve for a long time

lukpac, Bronth and junk like this.
  16. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Steve, I hate to see the "adventures in mastering" threads end as I often go back and review them once I receive the disc. And, the threads are very educational.

I have learned much about mastering from these insightful threads.

I hope Mr. Ezrin is pleased with your work from his finely produced master. This release should be a "win-win" for all parties concerned.

Bob

17. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Are you kidding, that was the best part. Kudos to Mr. Hoffman and the Gorts for sharing this with the members here. Passion for the music is what caused all the ruckus in the first place.

18. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Well-Known Member

I would love to hear pre-Ezrin Cooper, especially my favourite AC, Easy Action, with Steve's touch.

izgoblin likes this.
  19. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I was aware that AF was planning more Alice, but didn't know which one.
    BDB is a great choice (obviously), hopefully there is more Alice Cooper in the pipeline.

Should make for an interesting comparison with the DVD-A version.
    I have no doubt the SACD will win.

20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Because Bob Ezrin decided not to do it as a PM- it was his choice. Why should a Gort make the decision for him? Jeez...yes it's a Steve Hoffman board but if someone with a lot of knowledge on a topic wants to challenge something he said he has that right. Just like Steve has the right to rebut it. I see no problem with what went on- they didn't get into a brawl and it was relatively civil....in the real world everyones work is allowed to be reviewed/analyzed by people with the proper background etc.....it's not like Bob Ezrin was some kid on the internet sitting in his moms basement attacking Steve with no basis.

It's up to us to decide for ourselves if we like the finished product.

21. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

I think the obvious next choice should be "Muscle of Love". While the WB pressing isn't bad, I think it's a perfect candidate for the Hoffman treatment.

heepsterandrey likes this.
  22. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

That would be an awfully sad situation. I (and I am sure a lot of other people) love these stories and anxiously await to see them in the weeks after a mastering session and upcoming release are announced.

For Bob E: "Hello Hooray" is my favorite AC track. What an arrangement! What a recording!

23. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

This reissue sounds mighty fine.

image.jpg

John Bliss, Ocean56 and junk like this.
  24. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

Mine too!

junk likes this.
  25. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

When Mr. Ezrin made his first post, I was afraid it might turn into another sad affair like Barry D's departure. I had NO idea that it might cause the end of the "Adventures in Mastering" threads. I'm not sure if the "suits" are afraid of offending the great engineers of the past or if they just hate controversy in general. Regardless, I treasure these insights into the recording and mastering process. They have kept me interested and informed for the decade I've been coming here. If this goes away, I feel like one of the most valuable and treasured features of this forum will be lost forever. Okay....it's "only" music, but it's OUR music. It's important to us.

Steve, at the very least, can you still do these posts as a sticky with no comments allowed? If someone who was involved in the original production feels that their work is not being accurately represented, I'm sure that they can PM you and you guys can work it out. This is simply one of the foundational parts of this Forum that should NOT go away. We're all trying to learn more about the musical history that we all treasure. Losing those kinds of discussions would be a terrible loss to all of us.

mikeyt, Ocean56, supermd and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.