Adventures In Mastering: "Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits" 360 Stereo Gold CD from AF..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Ask MFSL. It is their product...

Bob

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Where does he state that? It uses the original mixes, rather than remixes that have sometimes been used (such as on Blonde on Blonde), but I don't believe the mixes are unique.

crispi likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

That's a keeper.
    Ditto
    Greatest hits vol 2

4. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Sorry. I may have misread the OP but would stil like to know if anyone has both the AF and MFSL and compared if they are likely the same source and indeed which sounds best. The original albums on MFSL vary in source tapes and I dont really want to drop £50 on the same material. Theorectally those tracks from albums not 'original master series' should sound better, no?
    I pulled out my DCC HW61R last night to remind myself of SH skills and wonderous it was so eagerly await GH 1&2!

5. George P

George P Notable Member

@Steve Hoffman

Any chance there will be an Audio Fidelity Dylan Greatest Hits Volume 3, Steve?

6. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Hope so!

George P likes this.
  7. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

The MFSL uses the remixes for the songs which were remixed. I much prefer the AF with the original mixes.

mikeyt, supermd, Plan9 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Well many thanks, that is what I feared which would have been a waste of money seeing as I have all the individual albums. I very nearly bought it Friday at the Bristol HiFi show as it was £45 sealed, glad I didn't. I have the AF CD which sounds great and will source an original vinyl copy sometime.

rxcory likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

"Never has it taken so long to do just 10 songs!" Truth!

10. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Wow Steve, thanks for a job well done.This is still my go to Dylan disc.

supermd likes this.
  11. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Both of the first two Dylan Greatest Hits on Audio Fidelity are completely essential.

12. I think Volume II may be the best any music by Dylan has ever sounded on any format.

IronWaffle, CBackley and rxcory like this.
  13. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

The AF double-SACD sure blows away the original Columbia double-LP in terms of sound quality and sheer emotional response!

14. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Man, I *really* wish I had purchased that GH Volume II before prices skyrocketed. My loss.

15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

The 2 AF Greatest Hits titles are both well worth buying. I like sacds so it is a bit of a pity the first Greatest Hits is cd only. However they are both superb and it is apparent from the info given on SHF that a lot of work went into these 2 releases.
    Both albums in my opinion are important Dylan releases in their own right and I am very pleased AF did them.

CBackley and rxcory like this.
  16. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity, are any of the songs on this album unique mixes compared to their original album mixes?

17. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

CBackley likes this.
  18. And $75 isn't that bad considering it was one of the more expensive Audio Fidelity SACDs to begin with. Having heard many, many SACDs and some that don't really offer much improvement, that set is worth it on a revealing system.

19. long gone john

long gone john Forum Resident

Just snagged a sealed copy of the Audio Fidelity GH2 for £29.99 on eBay in the UK , so there are some bargains still out there. Really pleased, as somehow the set passed me by on its original release.

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Ernie is one of the great guys in this business..

bagstiv, billnunan and CBackley like this.
  21. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Pulled out both Greatest Hits I and II this week and finally had a serious listen. Wonderful is an understatement!

Steve, I am assuming that you went to original stereo mixes for Volume 2 - correct? I really wish someone would reissue Blonde on Blonde with the original stereo mix.

22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Just Like a Woman sounds so fantastic on this CD. So much depth and balance. Nice.

Vinylsoul 1965 likes this.
  23. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Original 1960s stereo mixes all the way on Vol 1 & 2.

Vinylsoul 1965 likes this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Shame Steve didn’t get to master GH V3.

Maybe in his next venture with Marshall?

George P likes this.
  25. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Wasn’t Ernie involved with S&P?
    What a great label that was