Advice needed - Denon DL-110, Technics 1210

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sidneysides, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sidneysides

Sidneysides Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi all, first post here.
    I'm just getting back into my vinyl and am using an old DJ setup for playing my records. It's a second hand 1210 with a Stanton 505 cartridge and a Stanton N500 stylus. Ok for clubs but not really for my living room.
    My amp is an Onkyo 309 without a phone input, so I'm currently using a Behringer pre amp (not adjustable) into the aux on the amp.
    After reading A LOT, about a decent cartridge to buy in my price range (about £150) I've settled on the Denon Dl-110, most reviews saying I will hear a great difference.
    My question is, does it matter with this cartridge of I don't have a phono input? Do I need to use my Behringer pre amp? If I do, does the fact that it's not adjustable matter? I don't really understand MM and MC, although I'm learning fast, and I'm not sure how to get the best out of this cartridge with the setup i have, so any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Yes, you'll need to use the Behringer if your integrated amp doesn't have a "built in" phono stage. The DL-110 is a "High Output" MC designed to work with a standard MM phono preamp. The fact that your Behringer isn't adjustable probably doesn't really matter at this stage, as long as it has enough gain for the Denon.

jeff

Sidneysides and DaleH like this.
  3. Sidneysides

Sidneysides Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks for that Jeff, much appreciated!

4. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

The Behringer PP400 is listed at 35 dB gain, the UFO202 doesn't say in the specs. It'll work alright, but know that 35 dB is a bit low for a High Output MC like the DL-110. HOMC's output values are on the low side of most MM cartridges and Behringer caters mainly for the DJ market, with DJ cartridges usually having higher outputs than most Hi-Fi MM cartridges. Again, you'll be okay to get started, but depending on your needs/expectations, there will be room for improvement in the phono-pre dept.

5. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I used the Denon cart for about a year after accidentally damaging my higher end cartridge's cantilever. I quite liked it, but be aware it will need 40-50 hours of break in time before you really hear it's true sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.