Advice on speaker upgrade $1500 or so budget

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by UglyAudio, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  2. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

3. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Pulp Fiction reference. They are some nice looking speakers. Look at the dimensions. 8" wide or so. 42" tall, or so.

4. Destroysall

Destroysall Forum Resident

I'd go GoldenEar Triton 3. They are $2,000 for a pair, so a bit more than your claimed budget, but they are a whole lot of speaker. ;)

If you don't know, GoldenEar is a company founded by Sandy Gross, who used to create speakers for Polk Audio and a few other companies. GoldenEar is his audiophile brand and they really create some amazing speakers. The Triton 2 is a Class-A recommended product on Stereophile's list of recommendations and they have a built in subwoofer. I've heard these, along with the rest of the Triton series, they are all fantastic!

More info on them here:

http://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-series

Cheers,
    Chris.

head_unit likes this.
  5. UglyAudio

UglyAudio Forum Resident Thread Starter

These seem very interesting. I liked the ribbon tweeter in the Goldenear Triton 7s. I guess these are only available direct so no way to pre audition them?

6. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

As I understand it -- which ain't much! -- the AMT-based tweeter in the Goldenears isn't a true ribbon tweeter. But it does provide many of the benefits of a true ribbon tweeter.

Ascends are available only direct from Ascend. They do have a 30-back money-back guarantee, but you'll need to pay return shipping if you return them.

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

My 28 wpc Fisher 400 has no trouble driving my LS50s in my small room.

8. UglyAudio

I just got back from auditioning the Martin Logan Motion 40s.

First I listened to the BW 683. Not bad
    Then we switched to the BW CM9 sounded good and better than the 683 but not by a whole lot.

Next was the motion 40s. Wow! Seemed much smother and cleaner then the CM9 which were more $.
    Through some Steely Dan and Rush Signal at them switching between both and the Martins were just more impressive.

I believe I have my choice narrowed down to either:

Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grand SE

Martin Logan Motion 40

Decision time ............................?

Rick58 likes this.
  9. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

See if you can take 'em both home at the same time...

10. UglyAudio

These two are really quite different and I like them both for different reasons.

Martin Logan Motion 40
    These have a very different sounding high end that is very clear and not harsh. I guess it's the ribbon tweeter.
    Also the Martins have a more in your face sound and the bass goes very low and is smooth.

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE
    These speakers seem to have a laid back kinda sound which make them disappear more than the Martins.
    I feel these have a sound that is less fatiguing and seems that I could listen to them all day. Vocals were really
    nice but didn't quite have the Martin's clarity.

11. james

james Summon The Queen

You're right about the VA's. They have a very natural, easy to listen to, rich sound. I have picked up new speakers, but I won't get ride of the VA's. They're a great speaker to hang onto; I'll always find a room for them.

12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

How about those little Bose cubes? :hide:

Here's the deal, physically small speakers just have less efficiency due to physics.

If you need something wife friendly, TAKE YOUR WIFE to listen and perhaps more importantly, LOOK. The Martin Logans and Viennas are both well designed speakers, but they are basically boxes. Your wires reaction will probably depend sharply on the color/veneer/finish of the speakers. And she might like something less square, i.e. with curved sides. She might prefer the look of the Focals…then again, she might react like mine and just want the smallest thing possible, or in the wall.

13. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I had Mozarts (non-Grand SE) years ago and found that sound initially pleasing as well. Over the course of a year however I found it's colorations too much for my tastes. Just a thought...YMMV.

Bill

14. UglyAudio

She likes both the VAs and the Martins. The choice is now mine :D

Rick58 likes this.
  15. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident

16. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

I'm a huge Vandersteen fan. I own the 3A Signature. But at that price-- I couldn't overlook that magnificent KEF LS50. If they'd existed before I purchased my Genelecs, I'd have bought them for my desktop/listening station.

17. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well hey silly, what are you waiting for? Get BOTH! Duh! :p

18. UglyAudio

I listened to those LS50s and they were awesome. Unbelievable sound stage for such a small speaker. Very transparent. Unfortunately my seating distance would be too far away (10 feet) from the sweet spot of these gems.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  19. UglyAudio

I made my decision to get the Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE. There is just something I like about the sort of laid back sound they have that won me over.

Rick58 and gingerly like this.
  20. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I think it's a good choice. A speaker that you already find "clear" and "in your face" is eventually going to be fatiguing. Vienna Acoustics make quality, well-designed products.

21. james

james Summon The Queen

congrats! you'll love them.

22. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

Congrats on your choice. Lets us know what you think after you've had them awhile.

23. UglyAudio

Will do.

24. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Best of luck!

25. UglyAudio

:edthumbs:Update:

I have the Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE for two days now.

First disk played was Steely Dan Pretzel Logic SACD. Wow :yikes: what a huge improvement over my BW 602 S3.
    So much more detailed low end and smooth highs as the BWs can be a little harsh at times.

Put in Rush Signals SMH-CD. I am hearing detail that I never noticed before! Neil's drums so so tight and crisp plus Getty's moog has more body than I remember.

Next was Dire Straits Brothers In Arms SACD. What an incredible sound stage. The Mozart's are just transparent.

Now Peter White Glow which sounds fabulous. I am very pleased with the speakers and they sound even better since I tweeked the placement some. They are 8 feet apart and slightly toed in. My listening area is 11 feet and they are raked upward just a bit. I highly recommend you audition a pair if you can. :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

Shiver, james and Rick58 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.