Aerosmith definitive CD Versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiofiles, Sep 3, 2008.

1. audiofiles

audiofiles New Member Thread Starter

Does anyone here have an opinion on which are the best sounding Aerosmith CD's? As far as I know there are the original issues, the Vic Anesini Remasters and the Japan MLPS remasters from 2004.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Do a search. Vic Anesini is a pretty popular figure around here, but there are those that prefer the original discs. . .

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That pretty much sums it up. If you find the Anesini remasters to be too bright try the original CDs.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  4. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

Through my system and my ears, the original cd's are way better than the Anesini remasters. Tyler's voice is much less grating and easier on the ears with the originals; everything seems more "natural".
    My opinion with my system.

5. audiofiles

I had the originals but got rid of them when the remasters came out. In those days I just took it for granted remasters were better.
    I am really keen knowing about the Japan MLPS versions. I believe these have a different mastering again.
    Also is the Aerosmith self titled first issue that is pressed in japan is a different mastering again?

Dr. Winston Ramone likes this.
  6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I like the remasters better to although the original CD’s aren’t too bad. The original Get Your Wings CD did not have the flute(?) beginning of Pandora’s Box.

Jimmy Agates and sherrill50 like this.
  7. audiofiles

Has no one here heard the mini LP issues from Japan? :help:

8. audiofiles

I was just listening to the remasters. I had never really heard them in a good CD player before so I didn't want to prejudge them, but I just listened to them and I really don't like them very much. They sound lifeless and dull like they have been filtered of any life. I have the first U.S issue of the self titled that was pressed in Japan, the sound on it kills the remasters. I wonder if all the original issues sound this good or if this has a different mastering being pressed in Japan.

9. audiofiles

I read on the forum that Barry Diament mastered the original Permanent Vacation CD but could not find any info on the web. Does anyone know if this is true? How does the remaster compare?

10. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

All I can offer is that Pandora's Box sounds fantastic to my ears, which is an Anesini job so I presume these mirror the albums.

The Cat 3, supernaut and Fullbug like this.
  11. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

I have the original Get Your Wings and the Anesini Toys and Rocks. I think they all sound good, but for Pump and Permanent Vacation the remasters are LOUD!! I much prefer the original CD's of these two.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  12. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

The latter two are on another label. The earlier (and best Aerosmith) is on Columbia. A lot of Columbia remasters were done by Vic Anesini who usually does a very good job. The original Columbias aren't too bad either. The nice thing about the Columbia remasters is you get better liner notes.

13. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

The Aerosmith remasters might be the only Vic Anesini work that I don't care for. They sound thin and sizzly to me.

14. audiofiles

I was just skipping through the Permanent Vacation remaster and was quite happy with the sound quality overall. I no longer have the original so I can't make comparisons. It is the only remaster I have from the Geffen years

15. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Not a huge Aerosmith fan but I bought the GH remaster and its really hard to listen to. The Japanese version (which isn't hard to get and not expensive either) is much better. I also got a Castle (UK) Anthology disc that I like as much as the Japanese GH only it has more songs.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The remasters are loud...get an original...I still have mine that I got in the summer of 89 when I first got a cd player. It sounds great.

Sean and Karnak like this.
  17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have all the originals, but I haven't listen to them for a while.

I remember though that "Toys in the Attic" sounded muddy.
    Maybe this is how it was recorded?

My local Walmart sells the remasters for 6.99, I 'll probably get some to compare.

VVK likes this.
  18. audiofiles

It may be loud but it sounded like a decent remaster to my ears.
    I may sound like a douche by stating this, but I was listening to the Asesini's with headphones before and they sounded a lot better than when I listened to them through speakers. Is it possible for some masterings to sound better through headphones vs speakers and vice versa? :confused:
    When I listened to my original self titled through headphones the Asesini's sounded better

19. audiofiles

I wouldn't bother getting Toys , I have the SACD and you can't beat it.

20. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Why not? Given that you have posted no information about your equipment in your profile, who knows? A lot of variables in play, the most obvious ones being the relative quality and sonic signatures of your speakers and 'phones.

21. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Further to curbach's point: You seem to have pretty strong opinions on the best versions of the CDs. Are you just looking for confirmation or are you curious if other folks disagree with your choices?

I can't listen to the remastered GH at all. It's pretty rough. The original CD or the Japanese or almost any other early version is better. You were the one who asked.... but you're telling us what's better.:confused:

22. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That was the first remaster I bought too. Those single mixes on that GH CD are pretty bright, harsh and narrow. I thought Vic had lost his touch, I had no idea it was the mixes.

23. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

Was that on the original LP?

24. Well, how it was mixed, perhaps?

Toys in 5.1 on SACD was for me an absolute revelation. Spreading that mix around the room really made me appreciate all the different guitar parts.

I really heard nothing special with the 2CH SACD mix, but in 5.1 it is a record to die for.

Brian

25. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes and on the cassette.