AF to do Simon & Garfunkel's Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khojem, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

You realize that Steve is not credited, at least on the Audio Fidelity website, as mastering this disc. It indicates it was mastered by Kevin Gray. So with Audio Fidelity at this point in time, it may be a toss up whether you get something mastered by Steve or Kevin.

2. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident Thread Starter

You say it like Kevin does an inferior job. This isn't the case.

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

No - not at all. I think Kevin does a great job, and will purchase many CDs, SACDs or vinyl if I know he mastered them. I was merely pointing out to Audiophile Phil that his statement
    made me assume he thought this new AF S+G disc was mastered by Steve. What if AF did do "Bookends" and it was mastered by Kevin? Audiophile Phil specifically referenced Steve in his post, so I was pointing out to him that if his assumption was that Steve mastered Parsley, Sage, he may have been mistaken.

4. ricks

ricks Senior Member

If your satisfied with the Mastersound of "Bridge Over Troubled Water." then the MFSL of Bookends should blow your mind. Pretty much a perfect and un-improvable CD. One of the top 4 or 5 pieces of digital media I've ever heard, and unlike others here I rarely give out praise to any disc. The price it now commands is somewhat high, but more than worth it IMHO.

Rick

BTW - The Mastersound of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" is easily my favorite CD of that album as well, I just wish it was a bit less bright.

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

By the way I notice you still have not filled out your profile. :shh:

I agree 100% with regard to Bookends, it is a perfect disc.

6. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry for the confusion Mike.

7. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Thanks for giving me clarification on who did the remastereing of PSR&T. Steve and Kevin are good remastering engineers and I have high regards for both of their works.

8. AudiophilePhil

"Bridge Over Troubled Water" is a bright recording in the first place. The Mastersound Gold CD is "dull compared to the previous releases on vinyls and CD's.
    Doug Sax, Gavin Lurssen and Kevin Buotote have nailed it.

9. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Had it filled out for a couple of years then removed the details. I won't be re-adding them, I'm no elitist snob :)

10. eelkiller

Just pick the most expensive pieces of gear from the MD catalogue and list them, it is not "rocket science" :angel:

11. AudiophilePhil

We will ask you to post pictures of your system to check if you really have those gears. :D

12. eelkiller

My camera is in the shop

13. tages

tages Senior Member

Yeah, the whole mono "Sounds Of Silence" LP sounds different to me (bigger, fuller, different reverb and effects on drums, vocals, etc.). But, I was disappointed that the mono "Parsley..." LP was pretty much the same as the stereo, although it sounds nice regardless. That mono "Sounds Of Silence" sounds FANTASTIC though!

14. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

Mono made a big difference on a lot 1960's albums, and Sounds Of Silence was a stellar example. The mono mix was more like a "rock" album while the stereo mix was a gentler, "folk rock" album. Much like the Beatles Revolver and Sgt. Pepper, which were far more effective in mono than stereo.

15. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

It's too bad the AF website isn't a little more informative :sigh:

16. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Yes, there are many recordings I prefer in mono from that period. I will have to seek out Sounds of Silence.

17. That's what I thought when I questioned the use of the mono tapes a while ago. Here's the response I got.
    So what is it? Is Sony (or AF) required to ask Paul Simon before they use a mono track on a Simon & Garfunkel CD?

18. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I see Amazon are showing Sounds of Silence as being released on Audio Fidelity on the 20th April.

19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Got mine over the weekend...sounds great!

20. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I hope to get mine soon. :cheers:

21. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Mine sounds bright. The S's on the vocals are killing me. Time to listen some more.

22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Really...hmmmm. Not on my system. Very smooth.

23. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

You are referring to the new Audio Fidelity Gold CD?

24. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Yes.

25. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

I'm hoping that this will be the definite release. Anyone else with a positive review?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.