Agree? I have all the music I want for the rest of my life. No need to hear anything new.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, May 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spice9

spice9 Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm 61, a classic rock guy. I have most everything in that genre. I haven't been turned on by a new band in god knows how long. Have zero interest in hip hop, rap, whatever else new is out there. I don't disparage new bands, musicians or any mode of music. I don't happen to think what's been produced in the last 20 or so years will have any staying power. That's me. I'm sure there are talented musicians making new sounds, but I don't even know how I would come to hear them at this point.

I should add that my music goes up to about 2000. Totally into Nirvana, Pearl Jam, REM, Soundgarden, AiC, etc. Not stuck in the 60s and 70s.

Favorite thing is blues guitar. I don't think there is anyone making music like that anymore.

On the few occasions I'm in a frisky listening mood, I might go deeper into a classic rock artist's catalogue and hear something I don't know. Or maybe I'll try something from a band I never got into but that is from the 60s or 70s.

I have not morphed into a jazz guy. I have not morphed into a classical music guy.

My musical journey is basically over. And I'm totally okay with that.

Would be interested in comments...

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. ateix

ateix Forum Resident

>Would be interested in comments...

This is kind of a majorly depressing way to start my weekend.

/logs off SH Music Forum.

Buff Terror, Beet, lbangs and 43 others like this.
  3. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I never tired of finding new music that I enjoy. I hope and doubt I never will. I only got into Steven Wilson's music within the last year, I also discovered Julia Holter, and only a couple of years back, Tame Impala. The list goes on. There's still lots of good stuff out there, it just takes a little more searching for as there's so much now to choose from.

Buff Terror, Peachy, Blender and 13 others like this.
  4. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident

Same here lol, 60s and 70s rock were the peaks.
    Fully understand your position.
    But I am 58 and I am into classical and world music occasionally.
    Cheers

CrazyCatz and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  5. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Agree? No. Not agree.

Carlox, JL6161, wavethatflag and 15 others like this.
  6. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

7. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

To each his own they say. Hey I just said it!

8. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

There are enough threads like this already. Old men congratulating themselves and feeling awesome about themselves. Do we really need this everday?

9. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I'm 62 and felt similarly, but . . . then I found Hungarian polka music.

Beet, Laibach, Skywheel and 33 others like this.
  10. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I'm 51 next week and I can't imagine a time when I'll ever not want to hear new music, whether it's old music that I've not or heard, or music made in the present day I'll always be in the position of looking for something new to listen to. I'm an old fashioned listener who doesn't do streaming, instead I listen to the radio and it still excites when I hear something new that I haven't heard before and I don't think that will ever change.

11. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

curious why you need validation for your feelings on this....

12. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I'm very much done with buying music from any era, and I'm very much pleased with what I have in my collection. I do have some new music, but I continuously find that I'm into new artists and bands essentially for a moment. Their music just doesn't hold my attention for a long period of time. Would I like to find something that keeps me coming back? Sure!

danielbravo and htbomb like this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I do like finding new music. Even if I can't, there's always old stuff I can re-buy because it's;

A. Been remastered/repackaged/now has bonus tracks.
    B. I stupidly got rid of the original to 'make space'.
    C. Have to re-purchase the old edition as new repackaged, remaster with bonus tracks sounds atrocious.
    :D

14. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I'm 60 myself.

If your thing is blues guitar then you should be quite interested in Joe Bonamassa, for starters...

15. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I'm not keeping up with modern music, but I live in hope that I will be wow'ed by someone. Can see the merit in what some do, and can't see much in a lot.

I'm not satisfied with my music yet. I've still got heaps of albums that I still haven't listened to and need to, and there are lots of gaps in my experience that need to be filled. I am still discovering lots of great music that I'm not familiar with. I know there is lots more for me to discover.

I'm not concerned about getting to a point where I don't need to hear anything new. I'm more concerned about how the heck I can find enough space to store it all.

16. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

17. RobertZ

RobertZ New Member

An understandable opinion, but not for me. I love hearing new releases and new artists and adding them to my "favorites"!

hodgo likes this.
  18. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

nah, disagree. While i'm well stuck in the 60s i still find new stuff that does it for me. As long as Kim Deal's making new records there will always be something new worth listening to.

19. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I am your age and sometimes feel the same but I find I really get rejuvenated when I find new music and it doesn't have to be from this century or genres that I usually listen to, like blues-based rock. As an example, yesterday I listened to Appalachia Waltz by Yo-Yo Ma, Mark O'Connor and Edgar Meyer from 1996 for the first time and totally loved it. I note that these muscians have continued this project and have subsequently recorded other releases.
    Another record I got into recently is an old LP I was given but never really played before of Gamelan musci from Indonesia.

I find when I listen, say to, Beatles and Stones I enjoy it but don't really discover too much new. There's nothing like hearing something completely new to me to make me fall in love with music all over again.

panasoffkee likes this.
  20. proudy

proudy Well-Known Member

I feel that way sometimes, but once in a while I find something new that I really like (whether peripheral to my tastes or totally alien). Always nice to be reminded I can still have that honeymoon phase with a band.

But yeah--after you find your "thing," your mind naturally closes a little as you age. It's nature's way of making sure your brain doesn't fall out.

minibreakfast, bhazen and HfxBob like this.
  21. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I went through a phase where I felt totally saturated with music. But I came out of it. You probably will too.

barnaby and Erik B. like this.
  22. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Ive got about 3000 LPs and I dont have time to listen to them. I do occasionally buy new music, listen to it once and add it to the library to gather dust. So I do consciously try to not buy any more music.

23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

My musical journey isn't over yet.

24. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I will be 60 in a few weeks and I am continually searching out new music.

Binni, CrazyCatz, lukpac and 8 others like this.
  25. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I find that there is an endless supply of classic rock era bands and albums that I haven't heard yet. I'm always looking for new old music.

ukrules, Beet, Rojo and 24 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.