Al Di Meola on CNBC - "Streaming is Killing Music"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LaserKen, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I get the point that sales doesn't mean the best but the Beatles did sell a lot of albums. A better analogy might be that back in 1970 McDonalds made much better hamburgers than they do today. To be fair and honest, I wasn't eating McDonalds in 1970 so I can't say for sure.

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

:blah::thumbsdow
    Sure, just accept ripping off musicians.

Technology hasn't replaced millions of jobs, cheap labor in 3rd world countries has.

3. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

Start with Elegant Gypsy or Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior if you are going to jump in at all. Understand your point on listening options.

He's a perfectionist like Eric Johnson. Both seriously under appreciated.

GodShifter, Gaslight, junk and 2 others like this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No, many did well with indie releases like having a Ryko deal with no frills promotion and smaller advance but artist getting a decent cut of the action.

5. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Fair enough. Dennis and whoever else (you?) may not feel there are lot of great albums. I and others do. What does that have to do with sales? Or anything really?

6. Marko L.

Marko L. Forum Resident

Both have. You just don't hear many people saying we should stop technological advancement.

7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm just glad a thread with Al di Meola in the title made it to page 5.

I've seen him live a couple times and he has said that it is hard for him to play the fast notes like he did when he did when he was younger. As he gets older I bet he would like to take that performance pressure off a bit and let his catalog fund his retirement.

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

As far as technology goes the workforce can be trained to do new jobs in technology.

ARK likes this.
  9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

hey now nbakid I'm trying to have a competition between "old" and new music, that's not my bag. Fight the good fight all you want but as I said up thread, I buy a lot of new music. the only real point I am trying to make is that if people don't buy music we will have less of it to choose from.

10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

[​IMG]

ARK likes this.
  11. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Al Di Meola created music when there wasn't as much competition from video games, DVDs, computers, cellphones, etc. The creative people who might have gone into music are now into other areas. Plenty of other entertainment.

Al also benefited from the LPs/cassettes/CDs evolution.

ARK, DeRosa and Marko L. like this.
  12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Streaming services put DJ's out of work.. Just Sayin

13. Marko L.

Marko L. Forum Resident

Sure, some can be (re)trained, but the raising productivity will be deleting a lot of jobs and whole professions for a long time. I hope we (or our children etc.) get through this adjusting period without too many violent upheavals.

Of course this has very little to do with the topic. Sorry about that. I don't think that "a recording artist" is in immediate danger to become "extinct".

14. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

No, CONSUMERS put the DJs out of work. Also, corporations who streamlined their radio station operations and made radio faceless.

If a streaming service comes along, NO ONE is forced to use it. It's all on the consumers. The better service came along, and the consumers decided they didn't need DJs anymore. The streaming wouldn't have put anyone out of service if consumers had decided to ignore the streaming services.

As far as DJs being put out of work....I dunno, I still have access to TONS of radio stations online. Someone must be DJs somewhere, unless everything I'm listening to is automated and fake and I just can't tell the difference.

15. Marko L.

Marko L. Forum Resident

Many of them are probably automated, but I am interested to see what Apple will do with Beat 1, even though I'm still wondering what's the point of yet another internet radio station.

At least they hired a couple of DJs. I don't think Zane Lowe was struggling to find work though.

16. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

Funny. Considering that the majority of music I've bought in recent years has been because I heard it on a streaming service and thought "Hey, I need a copy of this!".
    Al should stick to his guitar and leave the pontificating to people who know what the **** they're talking about.

nbakid2000, aroney and Gaslight like this.
  17. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Give yourself a treat and listen to his early records or those he recorded with Chick Corea and the Return to Forever. This man is a "real " musician.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yes there is.

Marko L. and ARK like this.
  19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Or it absolutely can be that there simply are good new albums out there, and that older people just aren't looking.

Again, my favorite line in the forums...."I'm proud to say that I've never even heard of any songs from <insert modern artist>"

nbakid2000 and ARK like this.
  20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Romantic Warrior is awesome. An old fav.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  21. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

This!

The problem isn't the model (streaming, downloads etc.), it's artists who haven't adapted to it or even attempted to try something different.

Al needs to look in the mirror first and figure out a new (and possibly more profitable) way to monetize his talent/art.

ARK likes this.
  22. old school

old school Senior Member

Did you adapt? And move on?

23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I thought music was already killed? I can't keep up with this....is id dead? In a coma? Seriously injured? I'm confused now, someone please answer this for me.

24. K.P.

K.P. Active Member

25. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Exactly...the Kardashians killed TV (with help from the Real Housewives) :crazy:
    Didn't someone do a song like 200 channels and nothing's on?

tin ears likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.