AL Green-Greatist Hits (DVD-A)Any Good?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

I am trying to find a new or mint used copy of Al Greens-Greatist Hits DCC Gold Version and not having much luck.Was wondering if anybody has the Capital DVD-A version(it's only 24/48 isn't it?) and is it a big improvement over the 95' standard remaster?

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It sounds a bit compressed to me, but the multi-channel is nice and not too gimmicky. I wish I had a DCC myself.

Regards,

3. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

It's wonderful.

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

The DVD-A doesn't isolate the instruments quite the same as the old Quad-8 did; otherwise, it's a good alternative. However, it doesn't have the long version of "Let's Stay Together" that's found on the original GREATEST HITS. "Belle" is an added bonus but, ironically, the multi-channel for the most recent song included couldn't be found, so it's only on the stereo hi-rez and DD tracks.

Note also the domestic(Right Stuff) and DVD-A use the original stereo mixes for the songs; the original Lp(and the UK Hi import) was all remixes.

ED:cool:

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I love the DCC Al Green...Nothing comes close. "Call Me (Come Back Home)" sounds incredible! As does the rest!

6. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

the DVD-A also doesn"t have Al's wonderful cover of the Bee Gees' How Can You Mend A Broken Heart....one of the best Gibb covers ever. Otherwise, tho, it's a nice disc.

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Well, IMHO, the best Gibb cover ever, followed by Nina Simone's "To Love Somebody"...

Yeah, they substituted "Love And Happiness" instead...but "How Can You Mend" does turn up on the MORE GREATEST HITS sequel on The Right Stuff...but no DVD-A on that one, yet.....if ever.

ED:cool:

8. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

In a perfect world we could walk into our favorate B&M and choose between the DCC & the DVD-A. Heck, even grab both :).

But hey... We can put the Redbook next to DVD-A and select the better one.

The DVD-A is a great stuff. I would grab it while you can.

9. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Eric Burdon did a wild and great version as well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.