DCC Archive Al Stewart's Year Of The Cat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Unknown, Oct 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

I purchased Al Stewart's Year Of The Cat. The UK remaster sounds very good... really, but the cover reproduction is aweful. They have reproduced the lyrics from the LP to the CD size, so you can't read the words. No remastering credits with the exceptions of "digitally remastered at Abbey Road". I also don't like if I can read "Remastered with bonus tracks" on the front of the booklet.

2. Ben

Ben New Member

Ah...truly one of my favorite albums of all time...

I've owned the Arista CD and both MOFI's - CD and LP. Without a doubt, the MOFI silver CD is the best sounding recording. Unbelieveably, the intro to "On the Border" on the LP is truncated - the basspiano riff is missing....go figure.

It's an expensive little puppy on eBay these days - but the CD is rare and the sound is worth the price!

All the Best,

Ben

;)

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: Ben ]

3. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

I'll eventually have to get the MFSL version, but for now I've just ordered the same one. Should be here in a few days.

4. Unknown

Would any owners of the MoFi CD be kind enough to make a dupe for me? I'll pay for shipping/disc/your time. I'd really appreciate it--I don't like the standard CD sound at all!!

5. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

I pretty much would have liked this UK remaster more except that there is a fair amount of HF sibilance mainly associated with the percussion etc. It gets pretty irritating on On The Border.

The sound is very detailed, not warm at all, imo. It seems the midrange was sacrificed for the top and bottom end. It's okay, I guess, but it's definitely not the One Ring.

6. Unknown

I may have to get this one. What I'd really like to see is a DCC Gold edition of Al Stewart's "Past Present and Future," his best album, IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.