Aladdin Sane 30th Annv. 2 cd set any opinions BOWIE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by floyd, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floyd

floyd Senior Member Thread Starter

I just saw this one advertised out today anyone checked it out?

2. Tom

Tom Senior Member

I'm not as experienced as some here but I'll do my best to try to tell you what I hear. First it is certainly louder than the Ryko which is the only other version I have to compare it to. I'm assuming it's compressed to the max. It sounds a lot cleaner and instruments sound clear but there is no life to it. My guess is that it is also no noised. The piano on track 2, Aladdin Sane sounds shrill in the high register. It sounds like a digital version of a piano and we all know they did not exist in 1973. FWIW Peter Mew is the remasterer and he has been discussed here before and not kindly. The 2nd disc is no better and I was hoping that the live acoustic version of Drive In Saturday would be of high quality but it
    is the same audience recording that has been bootlegged before.
    I'm just hoping that the SACD version will be better and Peter Mew will not be involved. I have heard the RCA Ziggy and that is the definitive version for now so I'm sure the RCA Aladdin Sane is better than this mess.

3. sydriver

sydriver New Member

I expect Peter Mew will be involved in the SACD since he's at EMI and Bowie has licensed his catalog to them. Oh well.

4. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Has an SACD been announced?

5. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Even in the car it sounded AWFUL, a piece of S**T. It is DEAD sounding, worse than Ziggy. I played it against my RCA last night the RCA sounds sounds like a DSD recording on SACD in comparison.

But hey it does come with a nifty book and bonus disk.

6. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Therein lies the problem especially the bonus disc. I want those unreleased tracks.

mud-

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

A while ago, when we were talking about Ziggy on RCA, I picked up the used CD on half.com for about $11.99 (the Japanese RCA) and the guy thought I may be upset if the disc didn't come with bonus tracks, so he mailed the disc with a CDR of the Ryco bonuses.

Well, I already had the Ryco for years, but you never hear about those nice guys/gals from eBay and Half....

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I have the EMI which sounds OK. ALADDIN SANE is a desert island disc for me but I will NOT be buying this new 2-CD set. Mew aside (and that alone clinches the savings on my part) I hate all these reissues with live tracks. Save the concert stuff for separate release and give us STUDIO-ONLY, ORIGINAL-RELEASE-RELATED outtakes, demos, etc. Am I the only one who is cranky on this issue (recent WHO'S NEXT and Marley titles are other good (bad) examples)?

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I also will not buy the 2 CD set... I was so disappointed when I heard Ziggy's Anniversary Edition... I can live with my Ryko and Virgin remasters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.