Alanis Morissette's first single and demos from the 80's.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Feb 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

In 1987 Alanis Morissette released a single on an independent label ("Fate Stay With Me" b/w "Find The Right Man") and apparently she recorded a bunch of other demos at some point around that time too. I just thought they were sort of interesting.

The two songs from the single were recorded in 1985 I believe but I don't know if the rest of the songs were recorded at the same time but I assume so. Maybe the idea was to release an album circa 1986 but she couldn't get interest from a label with these demo tracks?

The songs included below are:

1. Fate Stay With Me 2. Find The Right Man 3. I Gotta Go 4. This Feeling 5. Another Sleepless Night 6. Toughen Up 7. Be There as my Friend

I think that "Fate Stay With Me" is pretty catchy.

She released her first studio album in Canada in 1991 ("Alanis").

MikaelaArsenault and John Adam like this.
  2. PaulKTF

I've heard her described as The Canadian Debbie Gibson and I guess pre-Jagged Little Pill that was a pretty accurate description of her. :)

This is "Too Hot" from her debut album- I like this one even though it's pretty cheesy. :)

3. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

That sounds a lot like a Janet Jackson track. And I didn't know my girl Alanis could dance!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. PaulKTF

Yeah, I was really surprised to see her dance like that when I first found out about her early Canadian pop career years ago! :)

5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

So hilariously odd to hear that familiar voice over Janet Jackson-type pop stuff.

Eh, we've all done regrettable stuff as kids...luckily for most of us that didn't involve music videos.

It says a lot about her talent that she was able to overcome the teen pop thing and relaunch her career as an adult. It helped that she was unknown outside of Canada and was thus basically a new artist here, but it's still something very few others have been able to do.

6. PaulKTF

Alanis performs You've Got A Friend (!).

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Matt LeBlanc(a pre-fame "Joey" from "Friends") is in the Walk Away music video.

johnaltman and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. PaulKTF

It's worth mentioning that Alanis appeared in 5 episodes of the Canadian sketch comedy show You Can't Do That On Television in 1986/1987 (which some of you might have seen on Nickelodeon):

and I believe she used the money she got from this gig to pay for the studio time for some demos which I believe got her the recording contract with MCA Canada in 1990.

9. PaulKTF

Alanis on Star Search in 1990. Does anyone know what song she's singing?

10. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

It's Robin Sparkles all over again.

johnaltman, Jayseph and Standoffish like this.
  11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Lived here in Ottawa all my life and never met her! :shrug:

12. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Why do so many people hate her?

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Who hates her?

Most of the pre Jagged Little Pill stuff is lame manufactured pop. But JLP is still excellent

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Oh, I'd say JLP is equally manufactured grunge lite.

Chief and jhm like this.
  15. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Someone (maybe from Entertainment Weekly?) described the music as like her hair. Pure fluff.

16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thankfully that fluff settled down a bit :laugh:
    I really enjoyed Havoc and Bright Lights

17. Shrdlu

Shrdlu Forum Resident

Weird person. About 10 years ago, the Freemasons (a U.K. duo of E.D.M. producers) did a superb house mix of her "Uninvited". She blocked official issue of that, so they re-did it with another singer. All of us house DJs have the Alanis version, which is frequently played publically.

mtvgeneration and Rhett like this.
  18. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

I agree. I very much like her acoustic version of JLP. She also wasn't bad on "Weeds" lol

19. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

One of my high school's lame claims to fame is that we "won" a concert from Alanis via the local radio station school spirit contest in 1991. It was right on the Michigan US/Canadian border so she was known to us via that stations CANCON compliance. I can still vividly recall her manic dance routines on the gym stage for "Feel Your Love" and "Too Hot." Glad I snagged a CD of that debut before she bought the rights to erase that part of her history...

20. SecondHandNews

SecondHandNews Forum Resident

Why does her blocking the release of somebody else's house mix of her song make her weird?

21. Shrdlu

Shrdlu Forum Resident

Because that mix is excellent and popular, and she could have made some money out of it as well. The Freemasons are consistently good, and have been used by several top singers. You can hear that mix here:

22. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

Ha I wonder if they didn't have Alanis in mind when they did that one

Splungeworthy likes this.
  23. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Saw her live in Newport RI on August 21, 2014. Great show! I like her!

24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

She's had a number of her other songs remixed, so yeah, it's a little weird. I'd understand if she was universally opposed to club remixes and the like. And then they went and released it with a different singer (not something Alanis could stop), so...kind of what was the point? Just an odd decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.