Album Showdown: Like a Prayer vs. Rhythm Nation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

GoodKitty likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I probably should think of "Ain't No Big Deal" as throwaway Madonna, because it is - almost literally, since she only used it as a B-side. It's a pretty light, piffly song.

But I kinda like it. Maybe it's just whenever I hear/think the phrase "no big deal", I launch into the song! :)

I also paid big bucks to get that one on CD back in 1987. It was available only on an expensive import CD EP - I think it cost me about $25 to get it with the "Dress You Up" extended mix. And it was worth it, even though $25 to me back then would be the equivalent of like $250 to me now!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

@JohnnyQuest - I wouldn't just close down your laptop on this post as you indicated in your reply. That was rude. The guy has a point. You start a(nother) this vs that thread, quote a whole bunch of wiki information and then don't initiate any kind of conversation about the "competition". What is your criteria (besides the sales numbers and release dates that you posted) for comparing one against the other? Songwriting? Production? Arrangements? Cover Art? Why was it a disapointment for you and didn't meet your expectations? What are it's weak points? Without any kind of analysis threads like these appear as though the main purpose is to start arguments, not discussions.

PH416156, Metralla and hodgo like this.
  4. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Rhythm Nation, without a doubt. Not really understanding the Janet V Madonna comparisons. And why Madonna is winning, for that matter.

Grant likes this.
  5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I prefer "Rhythm Nation" because, as good as "Like A Prayer" is, the album's songs are too long, and bore me.

I understand that, for many on this forum, it's a musically stylistic issue.

6. Grant

Not a shocker to me at all. Janet was on top of the world in 1989/1990. Janet had the hip-hop-influenced sound that was popular during that era. Madonna seemed old-school by then. It was like, by then, her only real competition was Paula Abdul and Prince. No wonder she published that book and pushed more buttons in 1991. She was looking for attention in a top 10 full of hip-hop.

LAP had hits too, but it's success faded rather quickly, and it seemed that the record company tried to keep it alive with singles from it.

IT grew on me very slowly, but I still say the songs are too long.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  7. Grant

I think that's because this forum doesn't like hip-hop or R&B. Janet fans post in her defense, but others just silently vote for Madonna.

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I don't own any Janet Jackson albums so "Like A Prayer" gets my vote.

9. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Miss Janet...if ya nasty ;)

Grant likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And for some of us, we just like Madonna more than we like Janet! :D

And some of us just like Madonna more than we like Janet! :laugh:

11. I view the longevity of Janet's output similarly to how I view the longevity of Madonna's. Madonna clearly took more artistic risks, for better or worse. Bedtime Stories is my favorite Madge record.

12. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

I'd pick Rhythm Nation over Like a Prayer (which I do like). RN is jam-packed with great singles, and continues the album streak from Control to The Velvet Rope. Of course, a lot of the credit goes to Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.

whisperinwind21 likes this.
  13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Like a Prayer. Much more longevity for me over Rhythm Nation.

14. I agree. Rhythm Nation 1814 is a pretty tough album to beat, both sonically and conceptually. I hate to be cliche, but it's essentially her Thriller moment. Even though I think it lacks the vulnerability and ambition that Like A Prayer exhibited, it stands up pretty well. Of course, Janet was at the peak of her powers from 1986-1997. I am confounded about which album I'd give the edge to, but they were both touchstones in popular music.

JohnnyQuest, Gaslight and ReadySteady like this.
  15. JohnnyQuest

Like a Virgin
    Ray of Light
    Confessions on a Dance Floor

Control
    Rhythm Nation
    Velvet Rope

IMO they both have three pop masterpieces. :)
    You could throw in albums like Janet and Like a Prayer but that's debatable.

16. whatwhat

whatwhat Forum Resident

madge, always and forever. arguably her best album.

janet? pfft. not even her best album - control, velvet rope and janet. all sit ahead of it, and not a one of them compares to like a prayer.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. JohnnyQuest

Like a Prayer is full of throwaway tracks. (Love Song,Dear Jessie,Keep it Together,Act of Contrition)
    Control is Pop perfection. :tiphat:

18. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Well, I'll give you Love Song and Act Of Contrition, but you really need to play LAP more!

19. JohnnyQuest

It's also sounds extremely outdated. I hope one day it finally clicks with me. :sigh:
    Do you consider this her magnum opus as well? Because many do.

20. Bobby Morrow

I still like True Blue and Bedtime Stories best. LAP would be maybe 6th or 7th on the list...

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  21. JohnnyQuest

Bedtime Stories is definitely in my top 5. :love: What a wonderful R&B album.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. whatwhat

whatwhat Forum Resident

Surprised by lack of love for "love story".

It's awesome.

23. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I voted for LAP on the strength of the title song... it's probably one of my top 3 favorite Madonna songs. As a whole though, I prefer RN.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  24. JohnnyQuest

Like a Prayer is starting to grow on me. 6/10

25. Bobby Morrow

About time! Another of your many reversals!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.