Albums badly hurt by botched production

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shnaggletooth, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member Thread Starter

Cheap Trick - In Color (what the hell was that with "I Want You to Want Me"?)
    Television - Adventure (still a good album, but the production sapped a lot of life out of it)

squittolo, marcob1963 and sami like this.
  2. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

George Harrison's All Things Must Pass suffers quite a bit from Phil Spector's excess.

Elliottmarx, JonnyKidd, Sean and 37 others like this.
  3. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Microdisney's The Clock Comes Down The Stairs.

Live versions of Birthday Girl and Genius are way better than on the album, for some reason they were played (or varispeeded) too slow on the album and simply lack the pace they should have. Also Birthday Girl's drums sound very synthetic.

The reason it's so strange is that, the band took an entire year writing the songs and playing them live before recording them. The album versions sound like demos.

4. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

xtc - oranges & lemons

Pete Puma, Sean, theclogs2002 and 8 others like this.
  5. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

every album recorded in the '80s?

6. zen

zen Senior Member

Nothing tops The Doctor.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    clhboa, marcob1963 and vonwegen like this.
  7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Pearl Jam - Ten

8. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Before somebody mentions Let It Be - I actually think Phil Spector did a damn good job with that album. Maybe The Long and Winding Road is a little overproduced but most of the problems with that album in my opinion were not to do with Spector.

9. I think that George just wanted to get away from The Beatles sound as much as possible but, as he indicated, he came to regret most of it later.

Guy E and CMcGeek like this.
  10. Catch22

Catch22 Forum Resident

"Hotter Than Hell" - KISS

I knew it was crappy sounding album when I bought it at age 12

11. I think Spector did some good stuff on it--I Me Mine, Across The Universe, the chatter but I think he made the mistake of including Dig It and really dislike what he did with Let It Be and a couple of other tracks. It's a mixed bag for me. I prefer the version of Naked.

Darrin L. and majoyenrac like this.
  12. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member Thread Starter

It's too bad XTC never reconnected with Steve Lillywhite, the only one of their many producers who produced more than one of their albums.

Finch Platte likes this.
  13. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Adventure is a classic, I wouldn't change it, it's darker Ying to Marquee Moon's Yang.

14. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Another example is the George Harrison Cloud nine - It's beyond me how a producer can achieve a drum-machine sound all over this album, using one great drummer (Jim Keltner), one great percussionist (Ray Cooper), plus Ringo Starr.

eternalise, squittolo, Sean and 11 others like this.
  15. I kind of wish they had gotten along better with Todd Rundgren and done a other album with him.

16. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Black Sabbath - Born Again must be the poster child for this kinda question...

Agreed about All Things Must Pass... I've never been a fan of Spector or his brickwall of sound...

17. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Really? I think the production on Hotter Than Hell helped the album...Gave it a darker, heavier, garage type of sound that fit early KISS very well.

18. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
    The Cure - 4:13 Dream

19. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Although many have tried, there isn't any version of Katy Lied that I am happy with. The sizzle of the cymbals, especially, just isn't right. The DBX encoding/decoding got screwed up and it could never be brought back into what it should have been. They used some of the best equipment available during the production and then the final results were trashed.

Old Rusty, sunspot42, Mal and 7 others like this.
  20. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

So, so wrong! heres 3 masterpieces that sound great: "Power Corruption & Lies" by New Order, "Graceland" by Paul Simon, "Infected" by The The, I could give you 100 more where they came from.

21. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Laughing Academy by Punishment Of Luxury, awful muffled production & of course every brick walled piece of junk today!

22. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Soft Machine's Third. Not botched, but marred somewhat.

Siegmund and LambertHoroscope like this.
  23. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Oh that is a prime one, sounds awful. Very disappointing at the time after 'Skylarking'.

Steve E. and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  24. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I dare say McCartney's "Press To Play". It was a brave step to try a new producer (Hugh Padgham) and a new bunch of musicians (Carlos Alomar, Phil Collins), but the result sounds cold and synth-y. Pity; some of the songs were quite good!

Elliottmarx, squittolo and Mazda like this.
  25. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

'Born To Run's almost mono, claustrophobic sound is part of it's charm IMHO.

Jamey K, redsock, krock2009 and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.