Albums issued with different artwork than the original

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wayneklein, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Missed one

Attached Files:

2. mkwant

mkwant Forum Resident

So that makes 4 different covers for one album (UK dress cover, US cowboy cover, German round cover and reissue kick cover) - can anyone think of an album with more covers?

3. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

It's a Beautiful Day - s/t

Ultravox - Rage in Eden

4. mkwant

mkwant Forum Resident

By the way, there were some more Bowie albums with multiple covers:

The first Tin Machine album was issued with different pictures on LP, CD and cassette - see here.

The second Tin Machine album was censored in the US:

[​IMG]
    vs
    [​IMG]

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Can - Monster Movie

(the original is so much cooler !)

Attached Files:

6. paradoxguy

paradoxguy Well-Known Member

I know the original album cover you refer to--it features full-color cartoons of war and rape. I saw it in a music shop that specialized in heavy metal and speed metal music. In a similar vein, here are two others:

Love Drive - Scorpions; the original showed a heterosexual couple in a car's back seat and the man is bemusedly removing bubble gum by hand from one of the the woman's breasts. As expected, many shops refused to stock the album with this cover, so the record company issued a very plain alternate cover that showed a line drawing of a scorpion residing atop the band's name.

Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix; the original featured a harem of naked women sitting and leaning towards the camera. IIRC, although the women are totally nude, no pubes or genitalia are visible. Of course, being the 1960's, this cover was banned by the majority of record shops and outlets, so an alternate cover was issued, which simply showed Hendrix's head and face in (presumably guitar-induced, but could be another stimulus) extremis.

PG

7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

CM

Attached Files:

8. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Font size is also different I forgot to add
    CD cover:
    [​IMG]

Original vinyl cover:
    [​IMG]

I've got both the LP and the cd and can vouch for this

9. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Randy Newman's debut:

Jeff

Attached Files:

10. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Another example of "updating" cover art is those silly cartoon covers RCA used when they reissued the first 4 Wooden Nickel Styx albums.

11. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

another dire straits one:

cd:
    [​IMG]

LP:
    [​IMG]

12. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Linus of Hollywood's first release when self-distro'd (featuring Casey Kasem's daughter) followed by now-standard release.

Jeff

Attached Files:

13. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

I posted 7 different covers for Iced Earth's Night Of The Stormrider, unless you're referring to Bowie albums in particular.

14. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

This one evolved over a few years. I have an early copy with no songwriter credits on the back. My copy with the blue title along with the other titles on the cover (second cover?) came with -1A / -1A stampers. The back cover also changed to edit out the Tiger Beat magazine at some point. At some point the Angie was changed to Anji.

15. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Madonna's first album was reissued after Like A Virgin hit big.

16. ELO's second album and On The Third Day originally had completely different covers, while they also changed the design of Secret Messages when this was pared down to a single disc for its eventual release (the early artwork later surfaced in a modified form as a promotional poster). In addition to these examples, a recent postcard suggests that the long-delayed Zoom remaster might feature slightly reworked fonts to better fit in with the rest of the group's back catalogue, though only time will tell with this one...

17. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

Too lazy to find pics, but here are two that come to mind:

Thunderclap Newman's brilliant HOLLYWOOD DREAM, and the Who's wretched WHO'S LAST (UK has a burning union jack and the US has a crappy brown cover with the title in gold lettering).

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

For some strange reason the cover for the album You by Gong was changed when it was reissued (by Charly?)

Attached Files:

19. mkwant

mkwant Forum Resident

I meant albums in general - but some of the covers you posted (and others as well) are the same cover with a slightly different layout. Different coloured lettering, or a larger title so it comes out better on a cd cover I wouldn't really count as a different cover.
    If you count those there are lots of Spanish albums that have the title in Spanish, Russian and Japanese variations etc etc.

20. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Kate Bush - The Kick inside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Pink Floyd- Relics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

The "nude" cover (no need to post a link, I guess) and:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

Huh, never seen that reissue version before. Must not have sold too well (or only been available briefly) because I've found countless copies of that album at flea markets/thrifts/record stores/etc. but never once with that altered cover.

24. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

Klaus Schulze- irrilicht:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kluster- klopfzeichen
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some others that have different pictures I remember are david bowie station to station, gong's angels egg, flying teapot and you.

25. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.