Albums not on Spotify.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Apologies if such a thread exists, as I did not see one. Which albums do you wish were on Spotify or were you surprised not find on Spotify? Perhaps through this discussion, some folks will have insights regarding these omissions.

An album I could not find through a search on Spotify is Yes Talk. What's up with that?

Blastproof likes this.
  2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

boz scaggs - dig

a whole lot of 10CC

the first 3 glass harp albums

and a mish-mash of other "major" artists who, for some unknown reason, have some, but not all, of their catalogs on spotify.

and no one seems to know the answer as to why this happens.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I’d love to see King Crimson on Spotify.

Trespass and Lamb Lies Down On Broadway would be great as well. (Both Genesis album’s for those who don’t know)

Yellow Magic Orchestra would be great.

Population Override by Buckethead would be great.

Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band would be nice

4. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

My profile picture.
    The Chronic - Dr. Dre
    iTunes exclusive given that Dre has a business with Apple.

Yayastone and Chrome_Head like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

my whole problem with streaming is the uncertainty of what they have, will have and will keep.
    I like the security of having my copy on a shelf waiting for me.

6. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

Amen to that.

Jarleboy, Hammerpeg, sbsugar and 7 others like this.
  7. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

That's a bit of a hypothetical problem. But I know what you mean. Generally though, artists and labels want to their music to be available. Every one of their albums not on Spotify is dead capital.

breakingglass and Zoot Marimba like this.
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i guess it depends on licensing fees and believed returns. It is like so much music going out of print in hard copies, if they figure they won't get substancial returns the re-release doesn't happen, but there is at least a second hand market

Jarleboy and Zoot Marimba like this.
  9. Cookary02

Cookary02 Forum Resident

Chaos and Creation by Paul McCartney
    Sweet Freedom by Michael McDonald
    Down 2 Then Left by Boz Scaggs
    A lot of Sunny Ade
    Colin Blunstone's early studio albums (highlights are in the Some Years box I guess)
    Return to Ommadawn by Mike Oldfield

pantofis likes this.
  10. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

11. jiggy22

jiggy22 Forum Resident

12. Cookary02

Cookary02 Forum Resident

13. I strongly doubt anybody but Mike Love would be willing to listen to this one.

14. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Interesting. It's showing the whole album for me.

julotto likes this.
  15. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Uncertainty is key for me. For example. A few years ago I was well into streaming all of JJ Cale's albums since I had not heard his entire catalog. One day I started up Spotify and no JJ Cale at all. Zero. So I bought all the CDs.

Last I saw they were up again after being missing for quite a while. But you never know when something will suddenly be unavailable..

16. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Last time I looked, Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet was not on Spotify, though they seemed to have all the other albums including esoteric stuff like Voyage 34 and Staircase Infinities, so I don't know why just that one is missing. Licensing issues maybe? It's the only one that was released on Roadrunner. It does not affect me of course since I have it, but it does bother me that people who use Spotify as their sole source for discovering music won't find the band's best album there*, or even find mention of its existence.

For a long time Steven Wilson resisted putting any of his music on streaming services, but he eventually realised that he was only hurting himself by boycotting them. If people searched for Porcupine Tree on Spotify and did not find them, they would not go out and buy the CD instead - they would simply listen to someone else who was on Spotify.

* IMO, obviously.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  18. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I can see Trespass on Spotify, though Lamb seems to be missing.

19. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Here is another: Still Not Streaming (or Streaming and Has Disappeared)

20. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

The live version is available on the Archive 67-75 but like you say the studio album is absent for some reason.

21. ChrisInKansas

ChrisInKansas Forum Resident

And this is precisely the reason why I can't imagine ever going to streaming, and why so many others stop buying music. What if a record company, which has your fave artist/s, dumps a service and starts their own? Now you need to pay for two, or three, or four services just to get all the music you like.

Or, for an unknown reason, an artist or album simply disappears?

I'll keep buying CDs and LPs, thanks.

22. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I look at it differently. It is mildly annoying when a particular album is not on Spotify, but this actually happens to me very seldom. Then I have to listen to one of the other many thousands of albums which are available. It is usually just a passing irritation, and then I get deeply involved with some music from their vast selection. I am keeping my CDs and LPs in storage though. I am not getting rid of them.

Forty links and Zoot Marimba like this.
  23. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

This is already happening with TV & movies. I subscribe to all these different services and it's flippin' annoying. So far, Spotify has been great. I use it in lieu of creating a music server. The selection has been outstanding but i'm sure it'll change in the future as artists move to exclusive deals with other providers, etc.

In general, one of the annoying things about Spotify, or streaming services in general, apart from missing albums, is missing songs. I went to listen to a Guns N Roses song the other day, The Garden, and it isn't on Spotify. But the rest of the album is. Huh?! :disgust:

WMTC and ChrisInKansas like this.
  24. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

last I checked the Wedding Album by John and Yoko wasn't on Spotify

it also seems to be missing a bunch of Yoko albums from the 80s and 90s

dbone828 likes this.
  25. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Most of the ECM catalog.

Jimbo912 and waaguirr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.