Albums that are poignant cos they were the 'end of an era' for a group..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ajsmith, Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]
    ..[​IMG] [​IMG]
    ...Keys to Ascension 1 (1996)....Keys to Ascension 2 (1997)

Pete Puma and ponkine like this.
  2. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

How I wish there was a complete restored edition of the FULL Keys To Ascension concert, without the visual effects, mixed in 5.1 with tons of extras

It's really a wonderful presentation of the band

And I agree, it's like a glorious farewell. It should've been

zen and bruce2 like this.
  3. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Van Halen - 1984

4. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

Going way outside the box but I'd suggest Fairport Convention's Unhalfbricking. The van crash (which happened before it was even release) pretty much ended the band at the height of its power right when they put out one of the best folk-rock albums ever made. I know it's trendy to call Liege and Lief the end of classic Fairport, but while it's an excellent album Denny and Hutchings were basically out the door at that point.

Siegmund and theclogs2002 like this.
  5. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Sean likes this.
  6. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

Which Replacements album was THE END? Let it be? Tim? Pleased to meet me?

I guess it depends on your perspective

7. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I think (someone else posted already) Blood & Chocolate was the end of his first/best era. Three years off and changed music directions.

8. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Some good picks on this thread.
    Totally agree with

Abbey Road
    Seventh Sojourn
    Phil Ochs Greatest Hits

I think "Blonde on Blonde" fits as this effectively ended a huge, influential period of Dylan (hit singles, the organ dominated songs, etc. ). (not to say that more was to come, but that sound was laid to rest)
    "Exile on Main Street" the Stones. Of course this is debatable, but in my opinion, it was the most defining and last defining moment of the Stones as we knew or (thought we knew them.)
    "A Salty Dog"Procol Harum. The impeccable touch of Fishers Hammond on Procols song was lost after he departed and the result was a more guitar oriented sound. (With Trower this is not a bad thing of course, but the sound definitely changed)

Siegmund, ajsmith and bruce2 like this.
  9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

More Fun In The New World - X

The end of X's great run of 4 albums produced by Ray Manzarek. The 5th album was somewhat failed, and then Billy Zoom left and they changed to a more roots direction.

Spazaru likes this.
  10. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

despite Bob's absence, Pleased to Meet Me sounds like a proper Replacements album. Don't tell a Soul sounds like the start of Paul Westerberg's solo career.

Spazaru likes this.
  11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Well, that's awfully considerate of you.

petercl likes this.
  12. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Poco's Crazy Eyes. It was Richie Furay's final album with the band and is quite a powerful statement. Even the closer, "Let's Dance Tonight, has a sadness despite it being meant as a celebration.

Flippikat likes this.
  13. William Abely

William Abely Forum Resident

Beach Boys - Holland
    Springsteen - Born to Run
    Rolling Stomes - Exile on Main Street
    Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Hard Promises
    Elvis Costello- Armed Forces
    Nick Lowe/Dave Edmunds - Rockpile's Seconds of Pleasure
    Van Halen - 1984
    Eagles - One of These Nights

14. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Two random ones: Tomorrow The Green Grass by The Jayhawks. Superb record. End of the Olson/Louris songwriting & vocal partnership, at least for a long while. The band would continue, but would sound much more deliberate in most everything they realeased afterward.

Another random: Led Zep, Physical Graffiti, because it's the last record they released where it sounds like everyone enjoys being in the band. Perhaps an illusion, because of the number of older outtakes contained, but Zep never sounded this fun afterward.

Siegmund likes this.
  15. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I've heard them many many times, trust me. I like "This Whole World" and "Add Some Music To Your Day" off Sunflower and "Long Promised Road" from Surf's Up is OK and that's it.
    I think All Summer Long through Summer Days was their peak for me and then I love Wild Honey, Smiley Smile and Friends.
    They're my favorite band of all time but I really do find the Capitol years far superior.

16. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I think Summer Days (and Summer Nights) still had a lot of the fun sound too.

17. Jethro Tull's Stormwatch -the end of the 70s band and sound.

petercl likes this.
  18. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Dwight Yoakam - Population Me; it was his last with Pete Anderson producing and playing guitar. He made one more good album, Blame The Vain after that but has never really been the same since.

19. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

How the hell can you get into that position? Check them ankles out!

ponkine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.