Albums that preceeded the Magnum Opus...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

IMO, "Say" is easily the best of the 3 PM/MJ songs. I like "The Man" more than "Girl", if just because it has a good guitar part.

For me, "Girl" has NOTHING going for it. Lazy song, lame lyrics, embarrassing spoken word part, wimpy sound - it's just as blah as blah can be...

2. Harry42

Harry42 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

ponkine, Bill and ggergm like this.
  3. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

It seems currently fashionable to attempt to remove Sgt. Pepper off of its customary perch. Seems almost reactionary in response to the decades worth of universal praise and critical acclaim.

4. Oatsdad

Agree. I feel a bit guilty of this myself, as I think all those years of "'SPLHCB' is the greatest thing ever!" wore on me to the point where I felt turned off by the album.

I listened to it again the other day and tried to do so without all that bias and you know what? It's a pretty darned good little album! :)

vinylphile likes this.
  5. vinylphile

"Little" album? It's the biggest thing ever!!

;):D

6. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I agree that part of the problem with the current standing of Sgt. Pepper, is an (over) reaction to "decades worth of universal acclaim...", but I think that unlike Revolver or Rubber Soul, Pepper demands to be listened to as a whole, and let's face it, that's hard to do with the one two-punch of "Within You, Without You" and "When I'm Sixty-Four"--both extremely dated in their own way. Revolver, on the other hand, is a collection of diverse songs that touch on pop, Motown, rock and experimental styles and can be enjoyed individually or as a whole. Let's face it, Sgt. Pepper---like The Who's Tommy--- just doesn't speak across the generations the way Revolver and Who's Next still do....

Golden Richards and JohnnyQuest like this.
  7. vinylphile

I suppose that is part of it. And I'll agree that Pepper the album is better than Pepper the collection of songs - the whole being greater than the sum of its parts, in a way.

Though I must disagree with many people's assessment of When I'm 64 - I love that tune. Never understood the scorn.

JoeF. likes this.
  8. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

[​IMG]

ponkine likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

I don't think there's a truly bad song on the album. I've even come to appreciate "Within You" over the years - I used to unilaterally dismiss GH's Indian songs but now kinda like 'em.

"64" is probably my least-favorite song on the album, but I still think it's enjoyable - it's the best of PM's "granny songs".

But hey, I like "Good Morning" more than any other song on the album, so what do I know? :)

10. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

I'm having more trouble coming up with an answer to this than I thought I would...

So, just some random thoughts:

I think I am probably in the minority, but I always thought The Who Sell Out is a much more fun and enjoyable listen than Tommy.

There are days when I think Led Zeppelin III is better than IV.

I would never call The Wall a magnum opus, but insofar as some people do, Animals is infinitely better.

I think I like Da Capo better than Forever Changes, although I want to play the side-long "Revelation" again, before I'm willing to commit to this opinion.

The Bangles' All Over the Place is much fresher than their breakthrough Different Light

I still like Sinead O'Connor's The Lion and the Cobra better than I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got.

If Tim is the magnum opus, then Let It Be is better.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  11. Zeroninety

Zeroninety Forum Resident

That would make Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) their magnum opus then? ;) (And then Party! came in between Today and Pet Sounds as well!)

12. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

[​IMG]

The magnum opus is yet to come.

13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Picky, picky...

14. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

I often forget that Party! is Pet Sounds predecessor. Imagine how puzzled people were going from Party to Pet Sounds. lol :confused:

15. Bill

Bill Senior Member

It was a holding action by Brian to get Capitol off his back for 1965 holiday product so he could finish Pet Sounds.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  16. JohnnyQuest

With a single like Barbara Ann I'm sure many people bought that album. I dislike that song and album but do find the whole party singalong concept interesting.
    They pretty much did unplugged before Mtv. lol

17. Oatsdad

That may be a minority, but it's a pretty vocal minority - there are a lot of "Sell Out" supporters here!

notesofachord and JohnnyQuest like this.
  18. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Elton's next album (Madman) is great but IMO it isn't The Big One. I'd vote for 'Don't Shoot Me' leading into GBYBR.

A few others....

The Band: Big Pink--->Self titled
    Eagles: One of these Nights--->Hotel California
    Cheap Trick: In Color--->Heaven Tonight
    Elvis Costello: This Year's Model--->Armed Forces
    The Clash: Give 'em Enough Rope--->London Calling
    Mott The Hoople: All The Young Dudes--->Mott
    Billy Joel: Turnstiles--->The Stranger

19. Oatsdad

Does this mean you're saying you prefer "Rope" to "London Calling"? Because that's like crazy talk! :)

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

"When I'm Sixty-Four" is a terrific song. It's well-produced and has a great vocal arrangement, but done up in a faux-music hall style that sounded like something from 1930, it just doesn't work for everyone.

notesofachord and vinylphile like this.
  21. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

No...if I understand the thread directly the idea is to list the album preceding the masterpiece, so all the titles in my post are in chronological order of predecessor--->masterpiece.

The potential for trafficking in crazy talk still exists, just not with this thread. :D

22. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

More Than a New Discovery - Laura Nyro
    Song to a Seagull - Joni Mitchell

23. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

[​IMG]

I like it just as much, anyways.

ponkine likes this.
  24. JohnnyQuest

[​IMG]