Albums with fantastic songs, that suffer from poor sequencing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Robert, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor Thread Starter

What is an album that had potential due to the strength of its material, but fell flat due to bad sequencing, or even song selection? And how would you suggest fixing that?

At least to me, I can cite Jazz, by Queen, due to starting with Mustapha instead of Let Me Entertain You, as well as other minor mistakes, and Let it Be by the Beatles, which feels more like a random collection of tunes rather than an album.

What about you? Any others?

2. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Love Jazz as is.

3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

This is a minor example, and does not in any way fit the criteria of "ruining" the album.

But as I've brought up before, the original LP release of The Dwight Twilley Band's second album, Twilley Don't Mind, started off Side One with "Here She Come," a perfect opening track. The title track was the first one on Side Two.

When the album was issued on CD, these tracks were inexplicably switched, and ever since, the album has begun with its title track, with "Here She Come" now falling in the middle of the sequence.

I guess it was felt the title song should lead, but in terms of the impact of the album and flow of the songs, it was a boneheaded decision.

maui jim, kouzie and Dr. Robert like this.
  4. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Surrealistic Pillow, I would have opened with White Rabbit instead of She Has Funny Cars and closed the album with anything but Plastic Fantastic Lover, that is such a weak song that just leaves you waiting for more but there’s nothing more to offer, because that’s the end of the album. Maybe Today or Comin’ Back to Me would have been better choices.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  5. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I disagree to an extent. I think opening with "White Rabbit" would have been a mistake. I think "She Has Funny Cars" works just fine, with the drum intro leading into some powerful chords. It's greatest advantage is that it shows off the Airplane as a complete package, with everyone contributing. "White Rabbit" does not — no harmony vocals, no lead guitar work to speak of, not a notable Jack Casady bass line.

I can agree about ending with "Plastic Fantastic Lover," though. I don't dislike the song, but it's not one of their strongest. Your suggestion of ending with "Comin' Back to Me" might work, given that it would separate it from "Today." Both are great songs, but putting them one after the other wasn't a very good idea. So maybe swap it out with "Plastic Fantastic Lover." Ending with "Comin' Back to Me"'s long, pastoral fadeout might have been a good way to go.

Hep Alien, Folknik and NorthNY Mark like this.
  6. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

May get some flak for this one, but

Egypt Station - Paul McCartney

Love the album for its individual songs, but other than the last two tracks (and Opening I and II), the rest of the album could have been reorganized to flow much better.

7. Dr. Robert

I agree with MikeM: She Has Funny Cars is a brilliant opening, but Plastic Fantastic Lover doesn't make for a good closer. Comin' Back to Me might work, but I'd have to try it out. As for Jazz, it ended up like this:

Side One:
    01 Let Me Entertain You
    02 Fat Bottomed Girls
    03 Jealousy
    04 Bicycle Race
    05 If You Can't Beat Them
    06 Dead on Time
    07 Mustapha
    08 Coming Soon
    09 Dreamer's Ball
    10 In Only Seven Days
    11 Fun It
    12 Leaving Home Ain't Easy
    13 Don't Stop Me Now

Brendan K and Chew like this.
  8. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Thought the exact same thing about NEW.

Had to throw in the bonus tracks and reorder the whole thing before I could listen to it.

9. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Well, I think White Rabbit has that hauting Grace Slick vibe that would set the expectations high. As for the closer, I wouldn’t have sequenced Comin’ Back to Me and Today together. It’s either CBTM or Today. But I feel like the first would have worked out much better. Anyways, what the album really needed was strong closer, like they did on Crown of Creation with “House at Pooneil Corners”.

10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I'm not much one to join in on the resequencing discussions around here but I can tell you that living with/listening to the original Get Back album for 6-7 months prior to the release of LIB left me disappointed with the official release. The kickoff of One After 909/Don't Let Me Down (with a bit of jamming and Save The Last Dance For Me)
    was a much stronger album starter than Two Of Us/Dig A Pony (with the horrible edit job.)

11. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I agree. If I wasn’t such a big McCartney fan I probably wouldn’t have made it past the first handful of songs on the album. It seems as though most of the best songs are in the second half of the record, plus it’s too long and some of the more “modern production” songs don’t really even fit into the overall atmosphere.

12. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Great idea for a thread.

Stevie Wonder's My Cherie Amour is totally hamstrung by the four (count 'em) covers that come one after the other on side one. It's a soul album, but because of the sequencing it starts to seem like an oldies revue right at the start.

Side two contains a handful of excellent original compositions that displayed Wonder's growing maturity as a composer. How about scattering the cover tunes around and movinge some of the originals to side one, like "Somebody Knows, Somebody Cares" and the fantastic "Angie Girl?"

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

'Coming Soon' might've been written at that time, but it wasn't recorded until a year after Jazz (hence it came to the album The Game).

14. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

I have another one. Husker Du's Flip Your Wig, which closes with two instrumentals, "The Wit and the Wisdom" and "Don't Know Yet."

This weakens the impact of both tunes, since it comes of like they're saying "We just threw a bunch of stuff at the end to fill space." But "Don't Know Yet" is pretty great, with its backwards guitar lead. It deserved better. I think it would have made a great opener to side two, sort of coming off like The Jam's backward guitar intro to "Dreamtime," which opens side two of Sound Affects.

broccolid and veloso2 like this.
  15. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Men At Work - Business As Usual.

Usually I think album sequencing is OK but this one seems ineffective to me. Side 1 ends oddly, Side 2 begins oddly and it ends with two down songs. I would change it this way.

Side 1
    1. Who Can It Be Now
    2. Touching The Untouchables (from B3)
    3. Down Under
    4. People Just Love To Play With Words (from B1)
    5. I Can See It In Your Eyes (from A2)

Side 2

1. Be Good Johnny (from B2)
    2. Underground (from A4)
    3. Catch A Star (from B4)
    4. Helpless Automaton (from A5)
    5. Down By The Sea

16. Dr. Robert

Actually, the basic track was recorded during the Jazz sessions, and was later overdubbed (with the blasphemous synths!) for inclusion on The Game :D

17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I agree on jazz.
    U2 unforgettable fire - love the songs, but the album didnt quite gel for me

DocShipe likes this.
  18. Basenote66

Basenote66 Forum Resident

I'm going to get flamed for this, and apologies if I cause offence, but whenever I play Revolver through it always sounds like a playlist on random to me - all brilliant songs but it's all over the place stylistically. Tomorrow Never Knows is definitely in the right place though.

19. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Agree with you. Always re-sequence my deluxe copy to produce a 12-track album that is like Ram meets Wings. Get Started gets bumped up to start my 'side two'.

20. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Love Angie Girl. One of the great b-sides.

Hep Alien and Celebrated Summer like this.
  21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Really? Okay, I didn't know that.^^

Dr. Robert likes this.
  22. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

If the studio documentation is right, and Barry Gibb's "The Kid's No Good" would've begun with 'Born' and ended with 'Mando Bay' - that would've been a huge mistake.

I say IF it was right, because bootlegs have it the other way around; "Born" is an obvious final track.

23. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

I think "A Kind Of Magic" can be improved, because One Vision is such a strange and cumbersome opener, also this flows better imo:

A Kind Of Magic
    Friends Will Be Friends
    One Year Of Love
    Pain Is So Close To Pleasure
    One Vision

Gimme The Prize
    Don't Lose Your Head
    Who Wants To Live Forever?
    Princes Of The Universe

24. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Agreed. I think Taxman belongs at 1 too though.

25. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

U2's Pop

The album should have gone with the same sequencing as the tour. Opening with "Pop Muzik" segueing into "Mofo".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.