Alien : Covenant

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lord Summerisle, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a feeling all is not what it seems. Time will tell I guess.

2. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

I guess they've read the critics about Prometheus and tried to bring out what the audience wants.
    It actually looks more exciting than Prometheus but I'm still wondering if it was a good idea to mess up with the Alien legacy by trying to explain the Alien.
    As Graham pointed out, please let this be no remake of the first one.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

based on the trailer it all looks very familiar, all nice shiny and violent

4. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

The original was anything but a shoot-em-up.

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Aliens was a shoot-em-up. The first one was very subtle.

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Well let's just say it's a mix of the first 2.
    I was more interested in how the Alien came about.......and more of the engineers story.
    They can save all the similarities from the OT for the Sigourney reboot.

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Wow, booming drums and music that builds to a crescendo that abruptly cuts to black. Never seen that approach before in a trailer. It portends great originality.

Ghostworld and Graham like this.
  8. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I wonder if David was really Weyland's son after all?

9. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

Wondering what the bigger disappointment will be...

This one, or Blade Runner 2049?

Johnny66 and Ghostworld like this.
  10. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Yep, doesn't make me want to see the movie at all. And that final bit in the shower feels like it's from a much cheaper, sleazier film.

Johnny66, Ghostworld and smarone313 like this.
  11. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I'll turn off the critical thinking part of my brain and enjoy the ride. But I won't bother to see it in the theater.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I was just thinking the same thing! The old monster tail in the shower/bath up the old wazoo cliche. Stay classy, Ridley. The trailer didn't look horrible, but you're so right about that bit. Bleech.

I just watched (a long and boring) featurette about making "Alien" and it was interesting how O'Bannon's script got passed around and everyone thought it was lousy script --- BUT everyone also kept saying it had ONE good bit in it: how the alien goes into your body and bursts out. So my thought it, now that the big chest burst is pretty much passe and overly well-known, what good and original CAN they come up with for these movies, anymore? My guess is, not much.

alexpop likes this.
  13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Looks like they will just be screwing up the legacy all the more. Just leave it alone. This franchise is done.

Solaris likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

New and original concept!

15. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Also, instead of having face-hugging aliens, they could come up with the aliens hugging other parts of the body (genital-hugging aliens anyone???)

Sammy Banderas and Ghostworld like this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hahaha. And "A**hugger" just doesn't have the same ring.

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  17. It also got rewritten by Walter Hill and his producing partner David Giler from top to bottom rewrite, had the idea to make Ripley female and introduced the subplot involving the company and the android. They were, of course, denied a writing credit, but it was well deserved as "Alien" was originally designed to be a B movie that could be shot cheaply. Hill and Giler approached Scott when Hill declined to shoot the film himself (although he did a lot of work on the project) because he was t comfortable with the feel of a science fiction film as a director and the a ou t of visual effects.

Having s aid that, Scott has always been key to the success of the original film. I'd give him a shot as I feel the trailer was designed to go after the lowest common denominator and, really, Scott was not below using cheap tricks and nasty scenes in the original "Alien" to jolt and freak out the audience.

I can't say I blame Scott for that shot either because, frankly, a classy horror/science fiction project is more likely than not to fail as succeed. Consider the audience.

They could come up with more original material but frankly the studios don't believe originality sells.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Well a trailer like "Prometheus" tries to convinceus that the film had little to do with the original "Alien" so I wouldn't judge it on a scene like that. You're going to go with the lowest common denominator to sell a story. I'll give Ridely a pass and see what he had in store.

He's giving what the bulk of the audience wants. A cheap thrill.

Hopefully it won't be disappointing.

Trailers lie.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  19. I think that we might be surprised by "Blade Runner 2049"

20. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I sure hope so! The original to me is one of the few perfect science fiction films.

wayneklein likes this.
  21. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I've screened all five of the Alien films with my children over the past six months. Matthew really digs them and Natasha loves the idea of a kick ass woman.

Matthew is upset that I refuse to watch the teaser/trailer.

I just want to be surprised. I'll unwatch and "see" you after the movie.

Michael

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

you're not missing anything with the trailer, you've seen it before

23. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

The trailer looks uninteresting but I'll go to see the movie anyway. What are 9.5 Euros and 2 hours of my time?

24. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

If you're talking about 'The Beast Within: The Making of Alien', and find it long and boring, I'm dumbfounded. It's an exceptional documentary and, short of the effects documentary Alien Makers, the most comprehensive examination of the film.

25. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Certainly. But, unfortunately, given the outright wrongheadedness of Prometheus, one has to question whether he is now a liability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.