Aligning Your Cartridge Cantilever With a Laser.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by macster, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macster

macster Forum Resident Thread Starter

I will post the details and pictures later, I just wanted to share the Cliffs notes version.

Here goes, I recently purchased Feickert latest generation protractor. It's okay, but not worth $250.00 IMHO. However I WILL be keeping mine. I did the alignment process as follows;

1. Set overhang.
    2. Turn protractor to Outer Null point and set stylus on null point.
    3. Turn protractor to Inner Null point and set stylus on null point.
    4. At each of the null points the stylus can be adjusted from the front so that it looks aligned.

However looks can be deceiving. I determined that I needed something which would allow me to sight line the cantilever to ensure that it was accurately lined up with the line that was on the Duo point gauge and not pivoted.

I pulled out my DB two point alignment tool and used the white part with the alignment girds and it was perfect for ensuring that my cantilever was perfectly straight. However the line is a bit wide and I wanted something a bit narrower for that extra measure of comfort. So I as I move the led light to illuminate the entire area it occurred to me that a laser might work. The key was to be able to use it without having the beam reflect back into my eyes. So I used a Ryobi laser leveler and it worked perfect. However I am not satisfied, I will be checking into purchasing one of these to see if it will make things easier. This is a work in progress, but to me it's an easy to ensure the alignment of the cantilever with the lines on my duo point gauge.

If someone has already done this, my bad. I obviously didn't know.

M~

2. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Wow.

I would imagine that getting the laser to hit the null point line perfectly is not a trivial part of this.

Can't wait for the pictures!!! :goodie:

3. macster

Update

I also purchased a USB microscope, so .... I started playing with it and here is the first image and I need to take time to read the software manual. This image is of the stock M97XE stylus which I will use for acquiring the skills to do this right. The USB microscope was ridiculously cheap (50-500x) $28.00. Thanks Robin what's your name for your comments about taking time to setup the stylus correctly. I would highly recommend doing the null point alignments with a laser rather than a Mint. It's a lot easier and IMHO much more accurate. I haven't settled on the color, but I am leaning toward green.

Based on what I have learned so far. Here is a rough synopsis for setting up a VPI arm/cartridge:
    1. Use the VPI setup jig (it just makes sense).
    2. Use a two alignment protractor (I'm using the one that came with my M97XE and also I am finally able to find a use for the DB protractor) and align the cartridge at the inner and outer null points.
    3. Verify alignment with a laser.
    4. Use the USB microscope to align/adjust the stylus per Mikey's Fremer's instructions.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps or encourages someone.

M~

gloomrider likes this.
  4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

What USB microscope did you buy?

gloomrider likes this.
  5. macster

One like this. However I will be getting another one e.g. 1000X for a little more money.

M~

6. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Wow, you're getting that quality of close-up from a $10 USB scope? I can hardly get my hand held to focus on my stylus, so a USB option which I don't have to sight through as I try to get close is tempting. But explain a little more about how you are using the laser level -- where are you placing this to get such clean perspective? Thanks

7. macster

The scope was one of the more expensive ones $28.00 :rolleyes:. The laser alignment is done by using a two point alignment gauge/protractor such as one that comes with a Shure M97XE.
    1. You set the over hang
    2. next you set the outer/inner null points.
      1. you wedge or restrict the platter from turning
      2. next set the point of the stylus into the circle on the alignment gauge at the outer null point. (once that's done move the tonearm out of the way place it back on the rest)
      3. What this does is to provide your outer null reference point.
      4. adjust/set fix the laser so that it shoots straight down that line that is along the center null point line on the gauge. (basically you use the two point gauge to "adjust your cartridge's azimuth along that center null line.)
      5. Now carefully set the stylus back on the gauge with the laser still shinning on the null line. You will be able to see the "light" (pun) or the relation of the stylus/cantilever assy is in relation to the null line on the two point gauge.
    The reason for doing it this way is that you won't have to guess/hope/get lucky with the laser as the guide for your alignment.

M~

patrickd likes this.
  8. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Very interesting and informative -- thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.