All purpose UFO thread...ask anything

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimmy Agates, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

Regarding the live dates and recordings officially released - I have indeeed attempted to document them all but likewise was too lazy to complete the task!! What I will say is yes there are overlaps on many releases especially when one takes into account the stuff released in those multi disc boxsets that emerged in the 2000's like Live Throughout The Years, Let It Roll and Live Impact. Some of that stuff was later released as part of the official bootleg /bbc sets so it's all a incestuous maze I'm afraid.

2. Jimmy Agates

I also have Landed Japan on Metalmania but haven't seen UFO 1 or Flying in that series either.

3. Jimmy Agates

I had a close listen to this track today and I can hear drums in both speakers but I can see how around 45 seconds the drums seem to come to the fore more. Almost like a blanklet has been lifted off that particular track....weird! As i haven't heard the vinyl for 25+ years I couldn't say if it's something thats occured only recently in the remastering process or not....

squittolo likes this.
  4. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

Yes, that's what I meant by "widening".
    Thanks for your kind reply :)

squittolo likes this.
  5. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I have the original vinyl release and the CD. I will compare then get back to you.

6. Use_Your_Koala

:wave: Thanks!

7. vinyl diehard

Okay, so I checked my original Canadian Chrysalis vinyl against my Japanese Pastmasters CD version. I notice no difference between the two formats and no noticeable change in the sound of the drums at the specified time point. The drums are in the left and right channels and sound correct.

8. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

HUH? I CAN'T HEAR YOU

:)

9. Spiritual Architect

Spiritual Architect Well-Known Member

When I unhook the Beyton Coupler from the Ogamma Stack, am I supposed to turn the interlude switch left or right? :biglaugh:

Bananas&blow and d.s.l. like this.
  10. Use_Your_Koala

:tiphat: Thank you for taking the time to listen!

It's definitely there on the remaster and very noticeable with headphones. Weird.

11. vinyl diehard

:crazy:

Spiritual Architect likes this.
  12. vinyl diehard

No worries. Definitely not a problem on the early issues.

13. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

OK, so I am not alone. :D

(Where's Roland when we need him. He's done some of those nice mastering tables. Maybe I'll point him in the direction of this thread if he hasn't already seen it! ... He did a really table for Neil Young's 1st Archives.)

Took me a while to realize there were 2 different Record Plant shows going through all this stuff a while back:

9/1/1975 Record Plant NYC
    9/23/1975 Record Plant Sausalito

And:

4/24/1976 Roundhouse London
    4/2/1977 Roundhouse London

And:

July 1977 Agora Cleveland
    1978 Agora Cleveland

Lots of Hammersmith shows too.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  14. Jimmy Agates

You've got me stumped...which tracks are the Sausalito Record Plant from??

15. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

My question: Did the High Stakes and Dangerous Men lineup ever tour?

What a great album title. I've never heard the CD. Terry Reid and Don Airey guest, so it has to have a certain quality.

16. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

What release is the 1977 Agora in? The 1978 Agora show is in the Bootleg box. I was fortunate to see that show.

17. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Not a question, but man I just couldn't ever get into this band. I found a lot of their stuff just kind of bland.

:hide:

18. For UFO, I really don't know enough about their live releases. I "only" have the two 5-CD box sets (Live Bootleg, BBC) which were officially released a few years ago.

19. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

20. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

not surprising : it's not metal.
    i completely switched off with the third ufo.
    My best souvenir is Flying - even if there are few passages that are weak nonetheless
    i had bought these 2 in french pressing . That was great.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  21. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

listening to it again ... makes 42 years now that i know this ... and damn. it is excellent ... prog ( !!!)
    Silver Bird is excellent prog. the bass is awesome
    sorry for the bad english, it is 41° C out here (105.8 degrees Fahrenheit)...

squittolo likes this.
  22. metalrules

metalrules Forum Resident

I am extremely happy that I picked up both from ImportCDs at a great price (still there as of right now). Beautiful, thick, flat, centered, almost perfectly quiet vinyl. They appear to be based on the early German Decca versions, and the labels and artwork are very nicely done. Dead wax says "ABBEY ROAD 1/2 SPEED, MILES".

The bass is thick as I'm sure it was intended to be, and the guitar, drums and Phil's gravelly voice sound great as they weave in and out. Everything rocks heavily in a way I do not remember hearing in CD editions I have. I compared Timothy from an old 1973 German Decca record I have called Best of UFO, and it was no contest. The new LP has a ton more depth and heft. Can't say how it would compare to an original UK Beacon or Decca pressing.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  23. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Jimmy, Covenant spinneth and I've selected a quick trio for your chin to be scratched o'er: 'Midnight Train,' 'Fools Gold' then 'Rise Again.'

How peculiar, this awkward bugger aka 'gestation.'

Over fifteen years old and suddenly, these three tracks seem to fuse a glorious riot of Tonka-era UFO sensibility with early MSG breakaways; e.g. round about 3m40s on the second of these songs, I'd swear MS was reprising some proto-riffage he decided not to use during the recording of 'Ulcer.'

I know of very few Rock n Roll bands who lay it down with this sublime variation of slow n fast but always - always - marching out with such stellar melody: oh, my God - listen to this swelling chorus on 'Rise Again!'

How the hell can anyone accuse these guys of being second tier? Dripping with soaring progression, these songs sweep me up and away with multi instrumental note densities that are simply off the scale: Paul Raymond's keyboard work is in places nothing less than augmented nectar.

Jimmy Agates and Rose River Bear like this.
  24. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

25. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

I bought "Force It" when it was new. I was 14 and had a job so I could spend most of my paycheck on albums. Even 40 years later, as I've gotten away from listening to a lot of hard rock, I revisit the Schenker years fairly often. But, I'm pretty much "Schenker only," so there's probably a name for people like me amongst the hardcore UFO fans. Sometime I will check out some of the later stuff, promise!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.