All things Guns N Roses Reunion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stateless, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

the band seem to be doing fine without him, he can release more albums nobody cares about

Fullbug likes this.
  2. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I love Izzy, but the market has spoken. A successful GNR reunion was not contingent on his involvement.

Fullbug, Clanceman and Stormrider77 like this.
  3. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'm trying to figure out why Izzy is getting such a hard time. I've been tight friends with people whom, years later, you'd need to pay me a few million to spend extended time around. Axl made him out to sound flaky and vague and Izzy set the record straight. It would certainly fit in neatly with his ability to play the odd one-off or two-off gig with GNR but never seriously flirt with rejoining or writing with Axl.

There's nothing wrong with a person drawing a line while adopting a "never say never" stance. "Hey, if they add a few zeroes to the figure, I might think about it. Otherwise, I'll be out painting the shed."

Fair to say, the guy doesn't NEED the money, so is it so hard to accept that it may just be the symbolic gesture that matters to him?

tkl7 and vamborules like this.
  4. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Izzy didn't set any record straight. He had no problem playing with Axl numerous times in the past for guest pay money. He agrees to be a part of the reunion on a guest basis even to the point of rehearsing with the band. All of sudden, once he finds out the huge guarantees the band is getting he wants an equal piece for part time work. It doesn't negate what Axl said at all, if anything it confirms it. He agrees to one thing then changes his demands despite have no problem with getting paid as a guest previously to try and get what Axl, Slash, and Duff are getting when he isn't willing to do the same performance as them? I don't know any job that pays part timers on an equal basis as full timers .

5. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

First, was it confirmed that he was only going to be a part-timer? Seems a waste of energy to go into full rehearsals with the band to only come out for a song or three.

Second, any chance at all that he agreed, spent a little time around everybody and realized he wasn't into the environment and that the pay would need to be a LOT sweeter for it to be worth the trouble?

EDIT: Also, is there any chance at all that, even if this "part timer" thing were true that he was originally invited to play entire shows and they changed the deal after he'd already started rehearsing with them? I'd back out too!

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

You don't know this to be true. MSL posting it on his board doesn't make it so.

violetvinyl likes this.
  7. uncle

uncle Senior Member

It could be all bullcrap, but that is what supposed insiders involved with the rehearsals have said. So it may not be true, however this was said months ago BEFORE the interview and Izzy's tweet btw. I have no idea who MSL is or any board he may run.

Izzy hates big time touring so guest spots are all he has agreed to in the past PLUS he already quit the band during their biggest touring time totally screwing the band over. Gilby only had 2 weeks to learn all the songs back in 1991 so it isn't like the band could count on Izzy to be there full time based on his history and numerous comments about being in GN'R and touring in the big leagues.

Would you trust a guy who quit on you right in the middle of your most successful period and who has said repeatedly he hates doing the work at that level? There were even reports that there were shows back in the day that they had to mix him down live because he either couldn't or wouldn't play well live. Not sure if that is true, but there were numerous reports they did that, much like Ronnie Wood had done to him when he was to messed up to play and sometimes Bono and Vince Neil live as examples. I have bootlegs where his guitar is clearly lower than Slash's but others where they are pretty equal especially in the early days which could be an indicator it was done internationally or just a crap sound guy those shows.

BTW, I love Izzy's contributions to the songs themselves, I just don't think he has much appeal to the live show overall and he has no real interest in being a full time performer unlike every other member of the band. So do you really believe all of sudden he wants to be a part of a huge machine of a tour? Even if he does, why would they trust him to be counted on when he has flaked on them before when he WAS getting equal pay?

8. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

He does have access somehow. But his accuracy is about 60/40.

We are all reading way too much into this.

Axl said basically that there was a misunderstanding with Izzy.

Izzy said he is not there because he felt as if he was low-balled.

That's it. Everything else is conjecture.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  9. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Agreed. As usual there is probably some truth to both versions and neither is probably completely untrue.

artfromtex and Ryan Lux like this.
  10. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

One factor also being overlooked is that, in all of this talk of Izzy "flaking out" if offered more money, why not stipulate in any contract giving him a larger split that he has no option to leave without serious fees being involved?

Anyone want to guess at the language involved in GNR contracts to keep Axl from showing up hours late? Izzy may be financially secure, but probably not enough to cost himself millions at a pop for deciding he'd rather go home and watch cartoons after signing a big money contract to do a tour.

Fonz and Ryan Lux like this.
  11. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

This is BS. I doubt Izzy wanted to do a full blown tour, maybe he was offered a guest spot or maybe he was offered less that DUff and Slash, how much less, who knows. but Axl and the others are screwing some of us hard core fans that wanted a full blown reunion. Izzy is also not a reasonable man, like some of you have said, he hasn't put anything into the GNR machine in the last 24 years and has not been out like Duff and Slash so yeah he should be offered less. If they were making another album , yes, he should get the same if not more, he's the the that contributed the most to songwriting after Axl, without Izzy they can't make a decent album anyways, especially at their age.

12. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Who has?

Runicen likes this.
  13. Szeppelin75

Well you know Axl has carried the one man GNR name in the last years and Duff and Slash were in Velvet revolver, anyway, i believe they screwed Izzy low balling him. He's as important to the success of GNR as any of them, even more than Duff.

14. Szeppelin75

Anyway to me Izzy is the one with the most integrity out of all of them.

Buda and Bonddm like this.
  15. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Yep, Izzy's still got his integrity, and the rest of the crew gets the money and adulation.
    And nobody but the hardcores will remember any of it.

Fullbug likes this.
  16. Szeppelin75

I know, is not like Izzy is in shambles finacially you know. Heck i'm still going to see them in november and have the time of my life, but i would have looooved for Izzy to be there,

17. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

I saw Guns n Roses last night for the first time in 24 years. They were amazing 24 years ago and even better now.

In 1993 they had a raggedness that was part of their charm. Now they are a super tight, f**kin' kick ass rock n roll band, it was easily the most amazing rock n roll show I have ever seen.

Although it was a huge stadium show (70,000-80,000 crowd) the sound was crystal clear, big, loud and in your face. Axl sang like a bird, how he sings like that in his 50's is incredible. Slash and Fortus were utterly mezmerising and where did they find that drummer, Frank Ferrer. Anyone lamenting no Steven Adler needs their head read. Ferrer is the drummer the Gunners always wanted, an absolute machine, incredible speed with just one kick drum and boy does he swing.

I paid plenty for the ticket and it would have been worth it for just two songs, utterly stunning and mind blowing performances of You Could Be Mine and Double Talkin' Jive.

Then we got a special guest, Angus Young and hold on to your hat, kick ass versions of Whole Lotta Rosie and Riff Raff.

If they tour in your vicinity go and see them.

18. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I was there last night aswell, I posted it another thread. They blew me away. To think I wasn't going to go. there were 75k there, they could have sold out Rod Laver 5 times. You Could Be Mine and Estranged were the songs of the night for me. Perfect weather, shame about the Sydney thing. :laugh:

coffeetime, Clanceman and PH416156 like this.
  19. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

I wish they'd done Rod Laver, so I could have seen them 5 times. Since the last time I saw the Gunners (1993), I have seen The Rolling Stones (1994), Paul McCartney (1993), U2, Bruce Springsteen, Kiss, Black Sabbath, Muse, Foo Fighters to name a few. None of them came anywhere near to what I witnessed last night. That was rock n roll at its absolutely f**kin' best.

20. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

They were brilliant. I wish they'd done more shows here as well, I would have gone. I honestly never expected the show to be that good.

coffeetime and Clanceman like this.
  21. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Interesting reviews. They are coming within 3 hours of where I live and when last I checked there were still some pretty good floor seats. Been hemming and hawing on pulling the trigger...

Clanceman and musicalbeds like this.
  22. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Do it dude! :righton:

Clanceman likes this.
  23. I think they definitely have a great studio album in them if they so choose. F*** everybody up:evil:

Clanceman, Szeppelin75 and DTK like this.
  24. Szeppelin75

Yeah but get Izzy to write some kick ass ol' style R N' R songs.

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If you can afford it, get in the front pit, but this is a show worth seeing even from the cheap seats. Unless the wheels come off between now and then, you won't regret it.

Clanceman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.