All Things Must Pass 2017 vinyl: why aren't we talking about this excellent reissue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rischa, Dec 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Further

Further Forum Resident

Yup, this is a great sounding set, done right. Initially, the price made me hold off for awhile but then I saw a copy one day in my local record store and thought, what the hell am I waiting for, it's All Things Must Pass! My only other copy is an orange label pressing from the '70's and this new one beats it for sure. It's just one of those albums you have to have in your collection. A classic, although it would've been interesting if George had gotten around to doing the stripped down de-spectorized version he had talked about.

e.s. likes this.
  2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Ok that's the same one they show as the 2014 edition.
    It was $38 3 or so weeks ago but then went back up to $69.
    It'll come back down again........
    Beave

dirtymac likes this.
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That’s Rainbo

bibijeebies and patient_ot like this.
  4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Really, I didn’t find it that way. Nevertheless, it’s not a particularly good sounding mix.

5. rischa

rischa Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hmm... If you click on album info it says 2017 release.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Might be my copy.

7. Vinylanswer.net

Vinylanswer.net Forum Resident

I agree with this. The 2010 is fully analogue. The 2017 edition is a bit misleading. It's digitally remastered. It is from the original analogue tapes. But remastered digitally.
    It sounds good but the 2010 smokes it.

hodgo, RiRiIII and AnalogJ like this.
  8. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Damn Amazon............:D

I see it now. But why would they call it limited??
    That makes no sense at all.
    Beave

rischa likes this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I’m trying to understand how many times this has been reissued. Obviously, there’s the one with the color cover. I assume no one is talking about this.

I have another one with black and white cover that was issued on a Record Store Day. Can’t remember when I bought it. Was that 2010? As I recall, it sounded good, but I didn’t like the fact that the trail off area on a few of the sides was so large.

What was the 2014? Same as 2010 or different? From digital?

Now we have the 2017 which is also different?

10. rischa

rischa Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting--can you link to your source for this info?

11. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

The one that I have (and commented on above) is from 2010.... Here's an announcement for it on the George Harrison website....

All Things Must Pass 40th Anniversary 3-LP Vinyl Collection – George Harrison

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  12. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I didn’t realize there was a download in the 2010. I guess it’s too late for that! I’ll look for a card in box?

13. Vinylfindco

Mine did clean up pretty well too, but I know there were some issues. I’ll have to re-evaluate between the two. Many here say 2010 was better mastering but I don’t remember a marked difference in sound.

14. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Too expensive?

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think the Download was sold separately in 2010?

16. Vinylfindco

I didn’t think it was too expensive. Even just for the two records of the album proper and the exquisite packaging, I think it is well worth it. Adjusted for inflation, it works out to about the same cost as in 1970. Actually $11 works out to exactly $70 and I believe it was more than that in 1970.
    It’s my favorite album and any new issue that promises better sound is an automatic buy.

rischa, e.s. and ego1jr like this.
  17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The vinyl version is on my wishlist since a while. Can't afford the new pressing, maybe will wait for more price dropping or I'll look for older releases.

18. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

If you ever run across a Japanese one, the Japanese issue was "THE" one to have before the 2010 Record Store Day one came out. I guess the Japanese Toshiba EMI mastering engineers, with their preference for almost sibilant treble boost (god it was AWFUL on those stereo Toshiba Apple Beatles remastered LP's from the 1970's), came out a winner when confronted with the murky Phil Spector Over-Abundant-Wall-Of-Sound master tapes.... I think that the guys at Abbey Road finally got the message by the time they did the 2010 LP remaster and did that one with clarity, definition, separation between instruments and less bass-heavy than the original Capitol STCH pressings. I still say that, despite the problems that many had with the pressing job (as I said, I had absolutely NO problem with the pressings -- mine were surface-noise-silent after ultrasonic cleaning), that those 2010's were the best so far

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2018
    Gardo likes this.
  19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have an old US Apple box that sounds pretty good. Wish I had a good digital or CD version. Missed the boat on the supposed good hi rez version that's no longer available. Curious about this new pressing but I have to pass unless the price comes down.

20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Old copies are out there, used to be far more common in shops than they are now.

21. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I agree with those who say that the 2010 version is the way to go. It was mastered just right IMO.

When the 2014 remaster came out, I couldn't believe it. The EQ is really strange. Bloated low end and a lack of treble. It's hard to fathom how anyone involved found it an improvement over the 2010.

22. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

What's the 2014 one? I have the RSD pressing but don't remember anything between that and the latest one.

23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

CD remaster

AppleCorp3 and WonkyWilly like this.
  24. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Any love for the 2001 pressing?

25. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I haven't heard the vinyl, but the 2001 CD is compressed, heavily NR'd and EQ'd awful. Not even an option.

majorlance and Further like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.