All Things Must Pass - Will we ever get a remixed/unSpectorized version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Octavian, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Not sure what the problem would be; when you hear the raw tracks that have been booted, some of them could have been straight out of the Plastic Ono Band sessions. The Wall Of Sound was added in overdubs and production.

Again, I'm not saying ATMP "needs" a remix. It is a creation of its time, and I agree with those who say that the production is part of the grandeur of the album. Still, as an alternate listening experience, I wouldn't mind hearing a remix that toned things down a bit -- more on some tracks than others. Note that my proposed box set had TWO remixes -- one of the full-blown "Spector" version, and one with a more subtle production.

supermd, Shaddam IV and longdist01 like this.
  2. Sean Murdock

I actually think George was joking when he made that crack about Jeff's production sound. I can just imagine him giving that quote to the press, and then giggling for days as it made its way into the papers, causing alarm and furrowed brows among the fans -- and maybe even Jeff himself! George and Jeff were life-long friends after 1986, and he made sure that Jeff completed his last album for him -- that's all the evidence I need. (Plus, George hated the press so much that I seriously doubt he'd air a grievance with a friend through a reporter. Rip U2 or Oasis through the press? Sure. But his friend Jeff? I doubt it.)

DeeThomaz and seed_drill like this.
  3. Sean Murdock

You don't think the basic tracks for "Let It Down" (as booted) sound "de-Spectorized"? They're so raw they it's practically a different song from the album cut.

DeeThomaz, marmalade166 and slane like this.
  4. Sean Murdock

If I recall correctly, Songs For Patti was sourced from a set of acetates, from after the main recording was done and before the final overdubs and production. The Making Of ATMP CDs were just the raw basic tacks, at various stages of recording.

Chuckee likes this.
  5. Sean Murdock

I agree with you here. I'm fascinated by the raw ATMP tracks, but they certainly don't sound "finished." A happy medium between the Making Of ATMP boot and the final album would be very interesting to hear.

marmalade166 likes this.
  6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I wasn't born until a decade-plus after ATMP was released...I've just always loved the sound of it. I'd love some more clarity to the mix, for sure...a mix along the lines of Steven Wilson's Chicago II remix would be lovely, but I'd be bummed if any of the instrumental parts were removed. Those arrangements are so cool, and so over the top. There's virtually no other album that sounds like it.

pobbard and vivresavie like this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Oddly enough, my favorite track from that is Across The Universe, which has giant reverb applied to it. :D

Shaddam IV and longdist01 like this.
  8. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Harriison wrote,in 2002,He was Sorely Tempted to Remove all the intrusive Spector additions and the Tone down the "Annoying" Echo Reverb when He'd did the 30th Anniversaty package of "All Things Must Pass",but He'd vetoed it,saying the fans were more wanting the Album "As Is",so He;d left it alone.

9. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I don't think so.

10. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

A 5.1 surround mix would be welcome, but until then, playing the stereo mix through a QS decoder on a quad system opens it up very well. It sounds almost like it was mixed for the QS system.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  11. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I'd be up for it if it was done by someone good maybe Giles Martin could work with Dhani on it, they seem to put out a limited edition vinyl release of the album every 10 years so maybe they could do this for the next limited vinyl release.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  12. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

Are you talking about the George who slept with Ringo's wife and wasn't troubled at all that he ended his "friend's" marriage?

That said, I'd be all for a remix/cleanup. George would have done it if he hadn't run out of time. Giles Martin could probably find the time.

As far as LIB...Naked goes, Ringo said it did sound better than the original, but now he was going to have to listen to Paul keep saying I told you so.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Interesting.

I wonder if Prologic II will do nicely as well.

14. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Worth a try.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  15. mr_mjb1960

Oh,Don't believe Me? Read the Book notes He'd personally wrote if You think I'm lying,Punk! Go ahead! T'll be Banning You from My feed while You do that!

16. The Fiftieth Beatle

The Fiftieth Beatle Forum Resident

You said George wrote that in 2002. He died in 2001. That's where the I don't think so came into play.

Rickchick, DeeThomaz, bobcat and 4 others like this.
  17. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

18. jdw

jdw Senior Member

mr_mjb1960 wote: "Harriison wrote,in 2002..."

and a member replied "I don't think so."

The "I don't think so" post dealt with the fact that Harrison (correct spelling) died 29 November 2001.

19. mr_mjb1960

OK.ir says He'd wrote it in 2001 before His passing,My mistake

20. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

IIRC, Lennon heard this rough mix of the song and basically said "go with it". He was impatient and wanted it released right away.

21. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

You mean on the Art of Darkness boot? It's hard to tell because you still have several instruments happening simultaneously on supposed isolated tracks. I also hear digital artifacts that leads me to believe they were from a fan-made frequency extraction. Doesn't sound good... And as I said, if you sync them up, I'm willing to bet it will still sound like the Spector Wall of Sound.

Slathering the mixes with reverb is one thing, but having like 30 instruments all playing at once is another. The former might be able to be toned down (maybe), but not the later. Listen to Songs From Patti, all the basics have the signature sound even before overdubs.

22. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

5.1 would be fab, but a total remix removing all PS production is like painting a 'stache on the Mona Lisa. History revision at its worst.
    The album needs a dreamy distant sound. It has one.

23. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I hope not.

drasil and rxcory like this.
  24. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

You had me at garden gnome :pineapple:

googlymoogly and Sean Murdock like this.
  25. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Personally I'd love it if it happened, I find the over the top cheesy Spector bombast really tiring, and the various outtakes/raw takes that have leaked out sound awesome to me

Rickchick and Shaddam IV like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.