All Things TOOL

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boswell, Jul 12, 2017.

1. dave-tx

dave-tx Forum Resident

Hasn't MJK kind of always been like this, though? It's like he despises questions about the band.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  2. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Dropping in the thread :agree:

3. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Maybe the new album will be released netflix style a few hours after it's announced.

4. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

boredom's not a burden MJK can bare ...
    still .... seems he's had to ....

5. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

'Now, here's John with the weather'

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Maynard also has a strange sort of contempt for Tool fans, I remember in an interview he called Tool fans unkempt (except much harsher). Which is sort of strange since he sort of described Adam Jones and Danny Carey.

7. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

OK, time for a tool journey. My CDs have been resting for too long.

I'll take the CDs to my car, that way I can play them the entire week.

Gonna start with my favorite:
    ÆNEMA

Man, that was a revelation back then. The song structure, the way he was singing those lyrics... What an album!

8. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...every time I see this thread pop up my heart races. Could....it....be.....finally.....the announcement.....of...the.....new...ahhhhhh....nope just someone spinning some OLD Tool albums. Hahaha... which reminds me I need to do the same. :cool::thumbsup:

9. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident Thread Starter

AENIMA is where they pulled away from the pack and LATERALUS was a continuation. I'd say 10,000 DAYS was less revelatory but was still a powerful record from an uncommonly talented band.

10. Yesternow

Sorry for that Daddyo, it happens to me also and it's frustrating :).

But I'm posting just to say I'm not able to start the journey ... I've tried... but this jazz addiction I'm into is too strong.

The day Boswell brings some news about release dates... That day I'll start the journey.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

If you've been to a show, you know he has a valid point.

asdf35 likes this.
  12. dave-tx

dave-tx Forum Resident

Kind of disagree, in the sense that there are a wide range of types of people at every concert. And let's be honest, most of the fans of his side projects are subsets of Tool fans.

13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I saw them twice and it seemed like your fairly typical metalhead crowd. Since you snipped part of my sentence, he was specifically referring to their appearance, which was a rather shallow observation.

I gained a much better appreciation of 10000 Days after seeing them on that tour and one other time when it was still quite a bit of material from that album. The sparse, quieter sections of the album really worked with the lights/laser projections. No exaggeration when I say it's one of my favorite albums from the 2000s :)

14. Yesternow

I prefer to wait and have an exceptional album than an average one right now.
    That's what I think when I see news about the delay - hope they only put out if it's excellent. Less than that... Well there are other bands for that.

Want to hear sounds and song structures that I don't hear anywhere else. A copy of others or themselves will be a disappointment.

And I'll say more. If 10000 days was not from tool many of us wouldn't give it a second chance. So really hope for an improvement.

15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

70-80% of Tool fans skip the side projects, judging by sales comparisons.

MJK has worn a gas mask onstage during Tool shows when there is too much smoke in the audience. Maybe common at QOTSA or RHCP, but not common for most metal shows.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  16. dave-tx

dave-tx Forum Resident

Right, that's what I mean. Unless you're saying that the 20-30% of the fans that go to his side projects are the people he prefers.

17. BIG-JG

BIG-JG Forum Resident

Update from Sebastian Bach... @sebastianbach on Instagram: “How lucky am I? Spent yesterday getting my face melted by 3/4 of TOOL at the TOOL headquarters / rehearsal Studio. My very own private Tool…”

Text for the Lazy:
    Freaking 20Min songs!!!! Yesss!!!!! Hopefully a Double LP.

18. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

GAH! I WANT! NOW!:laughup:

19. BIG-JG

BIG-JG Forum Resident

Today is a great day for TOOL News. There is a light at the end of the Tunnel. Saving up for the reissues hopefully a giant box set.

Now an Update from Maynard: Maynard J Keenan on Twitter
    I'm super excited now!!!!!!!!

20. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

21. BCJaysfan

BCJaysfan Forum Resident

I’m all for “Deep Tissue Massage” - Fall 2018

22. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Hmmm...

'Long way from the finish line, at least we're getting closer'...
    followed by an announcement of a Perfect Circle release...

That's Maynard being his usual, evasive self. The kind of stuff I've been reading for too many years.
    I find more solace in Danny's messages. Seems more likeable and at least he seems to take fans somewhat seriously.

23. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Great news that lyrics are nearly done, but the process to record the vocals for those lyrics could take months given the typical complexity of their music, not to mention the impending APC activity.

24. BIG-JG

BIG-JG Forum Resident

hvbias, Boswell, Guss2 and 2 others like this.
  25. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

BIG-JG and hvbias like this.