Altered Images

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ganma, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Yes, the accident happened just before the shoot, didn't it?

2. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

I have the 1996 "I could be happy" compilation and the 1992 "best of altered images" (connoisseur collection label). I much prefer the sound of the 1992 set and I like the setlist a little better, but I think it is missing the regular single version of i could be happy, which is on the 1996 CD.

I would love to get a proper digital copy (with ordinal 80s mastering) of the "US 12" mix " of "don't talk to me about love".

hi_watt, Mylene and Surly like this.
  3. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Yes. She was hit with a glass in a scuffle in a bar. She'd already been given the role in the film. Bill Forsyth refused to re-cast the part, so they disguised it with makeup and favoured her right side throughout.

CBS 65780 likes this.
  4. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Best. Birthday. Song. Ever! Sorry Beatles fans. :hide:

5. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Yes, the guitar on that US 12" mix is the absolute best - it's the definitive version of this song (and also my favorite by the band). Bite is my favorite album; played it to death in 1983. I really love "I Could Be Happy," too.

And I also loved Clare! Of course, everyone knows "True" by Spandau Ballet was written about her...

BZync and Talisman954 like this.
  6. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Big fan here, have all the original Vinyl and latest remastered CD's. Love the evolution from happy Siouxsie to a Darker Euro Chic.

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The 12" of I Could Be Happy was the hit version here so the Aussie Pinky Blue includes that version (and Happy Birthday in case you missed it the first time)

Gavinyl likes this.
  8. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

the Martin Rushent mixes and remixes are amazing...also check out One Dove an amazing band with one LP that featured former guitarist Jim McKinven

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  9. Guy

Guy New Member

I seem to remember at the time she was actually accidentally caught by the end of a guitar - not a glass. I still have my signed Pinky Blue inner LP sleeve with she did after our kiss...

10. Guy

Guy New Member

Surely the U.K. Extended Version (8:30) (never been on CD) is superior to the US (6:10) version that is on many CDs.

11. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I hoped my first proper gig experience was going to be Altered Images in my home town of Bridlington in either 81 or 82, but my mum wouldn't let me go, she said I was too young! :cry:

12. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Should we be excited for this release? :goodie:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/altered-images-the-epic-years-4cd-boxset/

4CD 60 track clam shell box set rounding up pretty much all of Altered Images’ releases on Epic Records.
    Disc one is debut album “Happy Birthday” which spent over five months in the UK charts, peaking at No.26. The title track hit No.2 in the singles chart and is regularly used to this day in adverts and TV shows.
    The second disc is 1982’s “Pinky Blue” album which reached No.12. Included are the hit singles ‘I Could Be Happy’ (No.7), ‘See Those Eyes’ (No.11) and ‘Pinky Blue’ (No.35) .
    “Bite”, the band’s third album, is Disc 3. This reached No.16 in 1983 and includes the hit singles ‘Don’t Talk To Me About Love’ (No.7), ‘Bring Me Closer’ (No.29) and ‘Love To Stay’ (No.46).
    The fourth disc is called “The 12” Album”, containing as it does eight extended versions from the days when mixes of all sizes were all the rage!
    The booklet contains detailed liner notes by Record Collector’s Daryl Easlea plus illustrations of all relevant singles sleeves.

DISC ONE
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    1. INTRO: HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    2. LOVE AND KISSES
    3. REAL TOYS
    4. IDOLS
    5. LEGIONNAIRE
    6. FAITHLESS
    7. BECKONING STRINGS
    8. HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    9. MIDNIGHT
    10. A DAYS WAIT
    11. LEAVE ME ALONE
    12. INSECTS
    13. OUTRO: HAPPY BIRTHDAY BONUS TRACKS
    14. DEAD POP STARS
    15. SENTIMENTAL
    16. LEAVE ME ALONE (CASSETTE SINGLE)
    17. WHO CARES?
    18. A DAYS WAIT (7” VERSION)
    19. SO WE GO WHISPERING
    20. JEEPSTER
    DISC TWO
    PINKY BLUE
    1. PINKY BLUE
    2. SEE THOSE EYES
    3. FORGOTTEN
    4. LITTLE BROWN HEAD
    5. SEE YOU LATER
    6. SONG SUNG BLUE
    7. FUNNY FUNNY ME
    8. THINK THAT IT MIGHT
    9. I COULD BE HAPPY
    10. JUMP JUMP
    11. GOODNIGHT AND I WISH BONUS TRACKS
    12. I COULD BE HAPPY (7” VERSION)
    13. INSECTS (RE-RECORD)
    14. DISCO POP STARS
    15. HOW ABOUT THAT THEN (I MISSED MY TRAIN)
    16. THINK THAT IT MIGHT (DANCE MIX)
    17. HAPPY NEW YEAR
    18. REAL TOYS (NEW VERSION)
    DISC THREE
    BITE
    1. BRING ME CLOSER
    2. ANOTHER LOST LOOK
    3. LOVE TO STAY
    4. NOW THAT YOU’RE HERE
    5. DON’T TALK TO ME ABOUT LOVE
    6. STAND SO QUIET
    7. CHANGE OF HEART
    8. THINKING ABOUT YOU
    BONUS TRACKS
    9. SURPRISE ME
    10. I DON’T WANT TO KNOW
    11. DON’T TALK TO ME ABOUT LOVE (7” VERSION)
    12. LAST GOODBYE
    13. ANOTHER LOST LOOK (LIVE)
    14. LOVE TO STAY (7” VERSION)
    DISC FOUR
    THE 12” ALBUM
    1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY (DANCE MIX)
    2. I COULD BE HAPPY (DANCE MIX)
    3. SEE THOSE EYES (EXTENDED MIX)
    4. PINKY BLUE (DANCE MIX)
    5. JUMP JUMP / THINK THAT IT MIGHT (SEGUED DANCE MIX)
    6. DON’T TALK TO ME ABOUT LOVE (EXTENDED DANCE MIX)
    7. BRING ME CLOSER (DANCE MIX)
    8. LOVE TO STAY (DANCE MIX)

13. Bobby Morrow

It sounds great.:) However, I seem to remember the previous releases having mistakes, so I hope these are corrected here. Bite is my favourite AI album, and I have a nice Japanese CD of that from the early 2000’s. Still, I’ll probably check this box out.

14. popscene

popscene Senior Member

I am certainly excited for it! I couldn’t justify getting all of the recent Vinyl 180 reissues since I have perfectly serviceable original pressings (and didn’t like the way the b-sides were spread out between two separate editions), so I’m in for this. Now if only the great BBC sessions could get a proper release.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

It’s pretty cheap too. Hope they get it right.:)

Hep Alien and popscene like this.
  16. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

That's probably what they told they press but it was definitely a glass in a bar - this was Glasgow in the 80s, after all.

17. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

One of my biggest mistakes was losing my cassette tape of Bite in the great tape clear out. That had the proper full length DTTMAL and I played that tape to death on my Walkman. I sure hope this release gets it right.

Talisman954 and Stuart S like this.
  18. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

I’m in for this as well as well but keeping my fingers crossed that the sound isn’t as loud as the last round of reissues.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

She couldn't sing but they made some nice pop records. I saw them live once but remember nothing about it.

20. Bobby Morrow

Well, looking at the tracklisting, the 7” version of DTTMAL is listed as a bonus track on the box (as opposed to being the on the official album like it was on my Japanese CD), so it should be right. Shouldn’t it?:)

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I'm kinda curious as to why their albums weren't released on CD in the 80s. I know they split in 1983, but you would have thought Epic would release at least one album on CD.

22. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Cherry Red have confirmed the only remastering from tapes that have been done with this box set is the Bite album, due to all the flaws on the previous edition. They claim to have "improved" issues with the other albums from the previous CD's, meaning they did not source original tapes for those. So expect a hit-and-miss package.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Happy Birthday was first released on CD in the U.S. in 1990. That was the first ever CD release for the band. The first (very poor quality) best of came out in the UK in 1992. Happy Birthday was then reissued in the UK in 1993, and then Pinky Blue in 1994 (I'll never forget the excitement seeing it in the CD bin). Bite didn't make it to CD until 2004, then was released (with different masterings) in Japan and the UK within weeks of each other. Various best of CD's have been released throughout the years. There was talk of Vinyl 180 doing the BBC sessions a while back. Cherry Red didn't want to do it because they said licensing from the BBC is very costly.

popscene and Hep Alien like this.
  24. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Bumping this to ask a question now that the Edsel Epic Years set has been released. Can anyone confirm that Disc 4 has the proper full length extended version of Don't Talk To Me About Love ( clocking in at 8:30mins)?

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Steve: To think there's five guys in sixth year crying themselves to sleep over that.
    Gregory: Six, if you count the Music teacher.

:biglaugh:

tin ears likes this.