Altered Images

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ganma, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

I've heard that it is the full version, though I don't know what source they used yet. My copy should be arriving late next week and I intend to scrutinize each disc in detail hoping to be pleasantly surprised. But since CR confirmed they only went back to tapes for the Bite CD, I'm not holding out too much hope.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

When you say they’re only going to the tapes for Bite, do you mean they’ll use old CD versions of the rest or vinyl rips?

3. popscene

popscene Senior Member

I hope that the BBC album will come to fruition someday. There are certainly less deserving bands with radio session releases. The Peel version of “Song Sung Blue” would make it worth the price of admission alone.

Man at C&A, Hep Alien and poidog like this.
  4. John54

John54 Senior Member

I'm pretty sure I have both Pinky Blue and Bite. See Those Eyes is my favourite song by the band.

Talisman954 likes this.
  5. Scott Davies

Correct.

6. Scott Davies

I've recently put in a request to the BBC to license the radio sessions. We'll see if anything comes of it.

Hep Alien, noahjld and popscene like this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Cover for Clare's never released album Trash/Mad

8. APH

APH Forum Resident

I saw Altered Images, supported by A Flock of Seagulls, at Cambridge Corn Exchange. Lots of skinheads in the audience to cause trouble, one skinhead girl got onnstage and slapped Clare around the face.
    A Flock of Seagulls got no applause at all, just stony silence!

9. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

I will take the proper full length DTTMAL from just about any source that is better than the low bit rate version that can be heard on you tube, even at the price of this box set!

10. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Maybe a good thing I didn't go then, I wasn't a tough kid! :buttkick:

11. APH

APH Forum Resident

No idea what it was like elsewhere, but in Cambridge, the more poppy the group's music, the more skinheads turned up to cause trouble.
    Bow Wow Wow being the worst of all. By contrast, the Ramones audience were much more peaceful, as were the crowd for The Birthday Party and Bauhaus.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  12. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

I still play pinky blue a lot.
    It has I could be happy and see those eyes, 2 of my fave songs of the 80s.

13. Scott Davies

And here's the track listing:

Artist: Clare Grogan
    Title: Trash Mad
    Scheduled Release: 29 August 1988
    Cat #: LONLP 37

Track Listing:
    1. Trash Mad
    2. Strawberry
    3. Love Bomb
    4. Giving Up
    5. Baby Blue Eyes
    6. Love You Like A Work Of Art
    7. Stop Up
    8. Bound To Love
    9. Flashback
    10. Reason Is The Slave Of Passion

14. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Please keep us updated on this.

15. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Has anything from the album ever leaked?

16. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Why was it never released?

17. ippudo

ippudo Forum Resident

You'll know why when you've heard it!

There was supposed to be another single after "Love Bomb", "Strawberries", which I think made it to the promo stage but was also scrapped after "Love Bomb" didn't chart. Cherry Red tried to license the album from Warners, who refused.

I found this on popjustice.com:
    Trash Mad

Love Bomb 1st single
    I Love The Way You Beg B-side, guessing it would be on the album too
    Strawberry 2nd single announced, never arrived
    Reason Is The Slave Featured on the Giant various artists compilation from 1987 and performed live by Universal Love School*

18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

A lot of us in the audience were attacked by Kiss fans at an Iggy Pop show. (it was later released as the bonus disc on Pilot's edition of the 'Zombie Birdhouse' album) Didn't have to go to the hospital, but I was black & blue for at least a week. Saw the Ramones a couple of time, and the fans were rowdier than most, but I didn't see any actual assaults, or anyone who wasn't a fan of the band. (Seriously, do Kiss fans have so much money that they can afford to buy tickets to shows they don't like just to beat up people?) I did see Altered Images the one time they came to Toronto (not long after 'Gregory's Girl' came out theatrically here) and there was no trouble there that I saw - just loads of guys politely arguing over which of them were more in love with Clare.

BZync, APH and johnnyyen like this.
  19. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

I can see why the solo stuff was never released. Scary how somethings get released on YT and never should have. Thats all im gonna say :shake:

20. popscene

popscene Senior Member

If "Love Bomb" was indicative of the project, I can understand why the album was scrapped (that being said, I'd be interested in hearing it).

However, 2012's "Don't Give Up Girl" is a fantastic slice of upbeat soul-pop that demonstrates that she could fit in quite comfortably with a sound akin to Belle & Sebastian, Camera Obscura, or The School. I'd love to see more recordings from Clare.

ippudo and Hep Alien like this.
  21. Scott Davies

Because the Love Bomb single failed miserably and London Records lost complete interest and shelved the next single and the album.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Scott Davies

There were rumors in the 90's that a promo CD or two had made it out but I've not seen any proof of that in all these years. Let's be honest, if it had gotten into someone's hands it would be on YouTube by now.

noahjld likes this.
  23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Supposedly on the Rhino Handmade site someone asked why it wasn't released and the reply was something like "If you'd heard it you wouldn't ask such a stupid question"

Hep Alien, ippudo and Bobby Morrow like this.
  24. Scott Davies

Bad news for Trash Mad. I checked in with Universal today, who now own the rights to Trash Mad. After a few months of research, they determined it's not worth continuing for such a small reissue. When something has not been officially released, it's a bit trickier from a legal perspective, especially when the original label has changed hands.

Hep Alien and ippudo like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

She was also stunningly beautiful in another Bill Forsythe film Comfort and Joy.

Halfwit and Hep Alien like this.